Beautiful Virgin Islands

Saturday, Aug 22, 2026

117 quarantined locally, 9 awaiting test results for COVID-19, Governor Augustus Jaspert, Premier Andrew Fahie, and Health Minister Carvin Malone during a live public broadcast

Health Minister Carvin Malone has said more than 100 persons are currently in self-quarantine across the British Virgin Islands, with nine under investigation and awaiting official coronavirus test results from the Caribbean Public Health Emergency Agency (CARPHA).

The minister’s remarks immediately follow news that the territory has recorded its first two cases of the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Those two male patients — a 56-year-old and 32-year-old — were tested among 27 persons overall. The remaining 25 persons had negative test results.

Giving a breakdown of the of number of persons being monitored locally, Malone said: “There are also 117 persons inclusive of the number above currently on self-quarantine due to the level of risk.”

The minister further said the territory would undergo testing, containment, quarantine, contact tracing and follow-up strategies “around the clock in accordance with World Health Organization technical guidance”.

BVI’s readiness


In the meantime, the Health Minister informed residents during a live broadcast with the Premier and the Governor on Wednesday that his ministry had assessed the preparedness of the territory’s health facilities to meet the anticipated increase in demand of services.

He stated that they continue to address the “existing gaps” relating to additional supplies and equipment to deal with the virus.

“Although at this present time we have enough personal protective equipment on the island for our health facilities … as the needs grows, we are importing and purchasing additional amounts. We have a storage of respiratory medicine, and as the need grow, we will assess this further for any additional orderings that may occur.”

He said these efforts areas supported by a communications campaign to keep the public updated on the virus and its impact.

He then urged residents to adhere to infection prevention and control measures, “as they will be key in reducing the spread of the virus.”


It was only yesterday, Tuesday, March 24, 2020, while speaking in the boardroom of the Office of the House of Assembly (HoA) at the latest in a series of weekly COVID-19 press conferences, that Premier Fahie said that even though the Territory hadn’t a confirmed case of COVID-19 it was going to ensure measures are in place in the event the virus reaches these shores.

“But the truth be told, there exists no country no territory, that will have all the resources to handle a full territory or countrywide outbreak. So the key here is prevention and the key here is, if a case is confirmed, to ensure that is contained so it doesn't spread,” he said.

Proactive measures previously taken by Government included setting up quarantine spaces at Dr D. Orlando Smith Hospital, purchasing and ordering of test kits, banning of cruise ship calls to the Territory for a month, closing of the borders to inbound passengers, closing of public and private schools for two weeks, restricting operating hours for businesses to 6:00am to 8:00pm and limiting gatherings to no more than 20 persons.

According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), in its latest published count today, March 25, 2020, there have been 467,520 confirmed cases across 195 countries and 21,174 deaths.

The Dominican Republic has the largest confirmed cases in the Caribbean- 392.

The neighbouring US Virgin Islands (USVI) has 21 confirmed cases of COVID-19.






To date, COVID-19 has infected nearly half-million persons around the world and has killed more than 20,000 people so far.

Newsletter

Related Articles

Beautiful Virgin Islands
0:00
0:00
Close
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
A Sleepless Night on Wall Street: Nasdaq to Begin Nearly Round-the-Clock Trading
"The First in the World": 69-Year-Old Protested Artificial Intelligence—and Went to Jail
Ukraine's Ousted Defence Minister Calls for Wartime Presidential Election
China’s Lifelike AI Humans Move From Livestreams Into Real-World Service Roles
Sarah Ferguson Reportedly Retreats to Late Ex-Boyfriend's Swiss Chalet
Cristiano Ronaldo and Georgina Rodríguez Sign Prenup Protecting Their Separate Fortunes
Thieves Steal Antonello da Messina Renaissance Masterpieces From Sicilian Museum
Better.com Founder Who Fired 900 Employees on Zoom Is Ousted as CEO
Italian Speed Camera Issues Nearly 32,000 Fines in 10 Weeks, Worth More Than €3 Million
AI Manager at San Francisco Store Recommends Firing Human Employee
Google Launches Pixel 11 With Gemini AI at the Center of Its Hardware Strategy
Reform UK Unveils Plan to Cut Welfare Spending by More Than £50 Billion a Year
Prime Minister Andy Burnham Praised Extinction Rebellion for Doing a 'Great Service'
UK Wildfire Phone Alert Triggers Backlash as Users Switch Off Emergency Warnings
Heathrow Roads Reopen After Burst Water Main Floods Access to Terminals 2 and 3
Former NBA Players Enes Kanter Freedom and Royce White Say They Will Enter 2027 WNBA Draft
Former Cambridge Professor Jason Arday Found Dead Days After Resigning Amid Plagiarism Row
US Appeals Court Rules AI Agent's Website Actions Are Legally Attributed to the User
France's Constitutional Council Blocks Social Media Ban for Children Under 15
Liechtenstein Changes Royal Succession Rules to Allow Women to Inherit the Throne
Women Allege Rape and Sexual Abuse at British Army College for Teenage Recruits
Minnesota: Two independent investigators posed as Muslims (one wearing a burqa) and showed how they could vote in elections without identification.
China’s Kimi Launches AI-Focused Credit Card With Agricultural Bank of China and American Express
Former Labour Adviser Arrested on Suspicion of Spying for China Held Privileged Access as Top Party Donor
Turkish Parliament Passes Landmark Bill Granting Conditional Amnesty to Disarmed PKK Members
Donald Trump Warns FIFA Against Ousting Gianni Infantino Amid Revolt by Global Football Leaders
Jeff Bezos Joins Investor Group Closing In on $6 Billion Liverpool FC Stake
UK Councils to Receive Sweeping Planning Powers to Ban New Vape and Betting Shops
Russia’s A7 Builds a State-Linked Payments Network Beyond Western Sanctions
Hyper-Realistic Reborn Dolls Draw Collectors Seeking Comfort and Craft
Gen Z Cuts Back on Dating as a Night Out Nears $200
Patients Turn to Artificial Intelligence for Therapy as Psychiatrists Warn of Privacy and Clinical Risks
Couples Embrace ‘Sleep Divorce’ to Protect Rest and Reduce Tension
Meta Ordered to Pay $567 Million and Change Facebook and Instagram Safeguards for Children
Up to only 10 Months in Prison for Swedish Officer’s Murderer Sparks Anger
Success: Nvidia Turned Gaming Chips Into the Engine of the AI Boom
Jorge Messi, Lionel Messi’s Father and Longtime Agent, Dies at 68
AI’s Next Bottleneck Is Power, Not Just Nvidia Chips
×