Beautiful Virgin Islands

Saturday, Aug 22, 2026

Cayman Islands: Two new coronavirus cases confirmed

Cayman Islands: Two new coronavirus cases confirmed

Health officials confirmed two new cases of coronavirus in the Cayman Islands at a press briefing Thursday.
The two positive tests involved staff members from Health City who were exposed to Cayman’s first coronavirus patient – a 68-year-old heart patient who died from complications associated with the virus.

A total of 30 people from the hospital were tested. All others came back negative.

A further 29 people were tested through the Health Services Authority and also came back negative. All tests will be confirmed by the Caribbean Public Health Agency.

There are currently seven tests outstanding. All tested patients remain in isolation pending confirmation of the results by CARPHA.

Chief Medical Officer Dr. John Lee said the patients had not been severely affected in terms of symptoms.

He said all those that were being tested had been in isolation and he was reassured that there was no current evidence of community transmission.

He said the case involved two people directly exposed to a traveller and did not qualify as local transmission, which involves cases that arise within the community where there was no evidence of travel or direct contact with a COVID-19 patient.

Dr. Lee added that Cayman was well prepared and the vast majority of people on the island who get the virus would suffer only mild flu-like symptoms. Even if Cayman experiences community transmission he said a section of the population may not get the virus.

The main risk is to the elderly and vulnerable, who can be much more severely impacted, which is why strict measures have been put in place to prevent COVID-19 from spreading.

Premier Alden McLaughlin warned that Cayman welcomed 2.5 million visitors last year and that Caymanians who had travelled risked spreading the virus.

“It is almost inevitable that there will be further people in this community who will test positive for COVID-19.

“That is why the protocols that we have given about how to change your behavior in light of this global health threat are so important.

“If we are to contain this we have got to start taking the protocols very very seriously.”

He added that Cayman could still avoid the kind of “meltdown” seen in other countries but warned that would only be possible with changed behaviors.

He emphasized again the need for returning passengers to self-isolate for 14 days and for anyone who was in contact with them to isolate also.

Government has organized a scheme to allow returning students to isolate in hotels and school buses were on hand at the airport Thursday to assist with that process.

So far 100 rooms and 200 beds have been reserved for that purpose with the hotel designated as an ‘isolation facility’. A total of 66 students had indicated they would take up the option as of Thursday afternoon and 12 were transferred by bus from the airside of the airport to the hotel, which has not been named, Thursday. Students will get meals, WIFI and accommodation at no cost during the 14-day isolation.

A further five essential workers have so far opted to stay in a separate hotel reserved for workers who want to allow their children or returning family members to isolate at home while allowing them to continue to work.

Governor Martyn Roper said there was no reason for “enormous public concern” as a result of the two new confirmed cases. He said the situation at Health City had been contained quickly and it was encouraging that only two people were impacted.

Health City released a statement later Thursday afternoon confirming two of its staff had tested positive for the virus.

“While we’d obviously hoped that we would have no positive cases, these results are in keeping with the fact that those who tested positive had more direct contact with the first patient who tested positive and was being cared for at our facility,” Dr. Binoy Chattuparambil, clinical director of Health City Cayman Islands said.

“While these are not the results we hoped for, we must take heart in that only two out of thirty of the samples from the staff members and their relatives tested returned a positive result.

“This shows that our infection control and containment procedures are as effective as possible given the circumstances. Moving forward we must all remain calm and vigilant in our precautionary measures.”
Newsletter

Related Articles

Beautiful Virgin Islands
0:00
0:00
Close
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
A Sleepless Night on Wall Street: Nasdaq to Begin Nearly Round-the-Clock Trading
"The First in the World": 69-Year-Old Protested Artificial Intelligence—and Went to Jail
Ukraine's Ousted Defence Minister Calls for Wartime Presidential Election
China’s Lifelike AI Humans Move From Livestreams Into Real-World Service Roles
Sarah Ferguson Reportedly Retreats to Late Ex-Boyfriend's Swiss Chalet
Cristiano Ronaldo and Georgina Rodríguez Sign Prenup Protecting Their Separate Fortunes
Thieves Steal Antonello da Messina Renaissance Masterpieces From Sicilian Museum
Better.com Founder Who Fired 900 Employees on Zoom Is Ousted as CEO
Italian Speed Camera Issues Nearly 32,000 Fines in 10 Weeks, Worth More Than €3 Million
AI Manager at San Francisco Store Recommends Firing Human Employee
Google Launches Pixel 11 With Gemini AI at the Center of Its Hardware Strategy
Reform UK Unveils Plan to Cut Welfare Spending by More Than £50 Billion a Year
Prime Minister Andy Burnham Praised Extinction Rebellion for Doing a 'Great Service'
UK Wildfire Phone Alert Triggers Backlash as Users Switch Off Emergency Warnings
Heathrow Roads Reopen After Burst Water Main Floods Access to Terminals 2 and 3
Former NBA Players Enes Kanter Freedom and Royce White Say They Will Enter 2027 WNBA Draft
Former Cambridge Professor Jason Arday Found Dead Days After Resigning Amid Plagiarism Row
US Appeals Court Rules AI Agent's Website Actions Are Legally Attributed to the User
France's Constitutional Council Blocks Social Media Ban for Children Under 15
Liechtenstein Changes Royal Succession Rules to Allow Women to Inherit the Throne
Women Allege Rape and Sexual Abuse at British Army College for Teenage Recruits
Minnesota: Two independent investigators posed as Muslims (one wearing a burqa) and showed how they could vote in elections without identification.
China’s Kimi Launches AI-Focused Credit Card With Agricultural Bank of China and American Express
Former Labour Adviser Arrested on Suspicion of Spying for China Held Privileged Access as Top Party Donor
Turkish Parliament Passes Landmark Bill Granting Conditional Amnesty to Disarmed PKK Members
Donald Trump Warns FIFA Against Ousting Gianni Infantino Amid Revolt by Global Football Leaders
Jeff Bezos Joins Investor Group Closing In on $6 Billion Liverpool FC Stake
UK Councils to Receive Sweeping Planning Powers to Ban New Vape and Betting Shops
Russia’s A7 Builds a State-Linked Payments Network Beyond Western Sanctions
Hyper-Realistic Reborn Dolls Draw Collectors Seeking Comfort and Craft
Gen Z Cuts Back on Dating as a Night Out Nears $200
Patients Turn to Artificial Intelligence for Therapy as Psychiatrists Warn of Privacy and Clinical Risks
Couples Embrace ‘Sleep Divorce’ to Protect Rest and Reduce Tension
Meta Ordered to Pay $567 Million and Change Facebook and Instagram Safeguards for Children
Up to only 10 Months in Prison for Swedish Officer’s Murderer Sparks Anger
Success: Nvidia Turned Gaming Chips Into the Engine of the AI Boom
Jorge Messi, Lionel Messi’s Father and Longtime Agent, Dies at 68
AI’s Next Bottleneck Is Power, Not Just Nvidia Chips
×