Beautiful Virgin Islands

Saturday, Aug 22, 2026

Confirmed coronavirus cases grow in Caribbean

Confirmed coronavirus cases grow in Caribbean

The number of people in the Caribbean who have contracted the novel coronavirus continues to grow with the Pan American Health Organization confirming Friday an additional positive case in the Dominican Republic and eight new ones in the French overseas territories, bringing the total to 12.
French Guiana is reporting five cases of COVID-19 while Martinique confirmed two cases. The cases are in addition to three previous cases — two in St. Martin and one in Saint Barthelemy — that had been previously reported along with a previously confirmed case in the Dominican Republic. No information was released on whether any of the 12 patients have died.

Dominican Republic health officials are now reporting five cases including a 56-year-old Dominican woman who lives in Italy and a 12-year-old who recently returned from a European vacation with his family. Both are in quarantine at home. There are now a total of 15 confirmed COVID-19 cases in the Caribbean.

Two individuals who live in St Barths, or St. Barts, contacted the Miami Herald to say that the two cases in St. Martin in fact originated in their island and they are concerned about whether the authorities at the Regional Health Agency in Guadeloupe have the capability to determine who else may be positive for coronavirus after coming in contact with the couple and their son, who also tested positive.

The couple quarantined in French St. Martin spent a week on vacation visiting their son in Saint Barthelemy during its annual Carnaval du Mardi Gras 2020 events, according to the residents. After they tested positive, the authorities went to find them to place them in quarantine but were told by their son that his parents had boarded a ferry to Dutch St. Maarten to return home to L’Oise France. This occurred on Feb. 28.

It was when the couple arrived at Princess Juliana International Airport in St. Maarten, that they were met by authorities and transferred into quarantine into French St. Martin, both of the residents told the Herald.

“I can’t stress enough that it has been clarified that the parents presented ZERO symptoms when they were intercepted at Juliana Airport St Maarten — no flu-like symptoms whatsoever,” said one of the residents who did not want to be named for fear of backlash in the small community of St. Barths. “We are very concerned with our health and well-being and that of all of our residents and visitors.”

The island has several well-attended International events coming up this month, including a regatta. So far, officials have not said whether they will cancel. Stores on the island, one of the residents said, have been out of masks, anti-bacterial gel and hydro-alcohol since discovering the news. Where soap and water are not available to wash your hands, the gel and hydro-alcohol also help reduce bacteria contamination.

“We don’t have a modern hospital equipped to deal with any type of a crisis such as an epidemic. The island is completely incapable of taking care of a huge influx of tourists during a time of epidemic, while protecting their own resident population at the same time,” the resident said.

Neither Dutch nor French authorities have released the names of the French couple. But in a statement released on Thursday in relation to the two positive COVID-19 confirmed cases, authorities in St. Maarten acknowledged that the French couple had been at the Juliana airport.

“The Princess Juliana International Airport implemented its infectious disease protocols with respect to the two French nationals who were isolated and examined at the airport prior to being transported to the French side,” the statement said.

Dutch authorities said they have been working closely with their French-side counterparts prior to the confirmed cases and will continue to work together. There is no need to panic. Since Sunday, Prime Minister Silveria Jacobs had activated the Emergency Operations Center (EOC) in connection with the cases, the statement said.

“There are zero cases of suspected or confirmed COVID-19 on Dutch Sint Maarten at this time,” St. Maarten said in the release. “Our screening processes at our ports of entry have been stepped up in cooperation with the airlines who are also following their own screening protocols based on World Health Organization (WHO) recommendations.”

Possible transmission of the flu-like illness continues to worry health officials and Caribbean governments, which have continued to expand travel restrictions in hopes of preventing transmission in their territories.
Newsletter

Related Articles

Beautiful Virgin Islands
0:00
0:00
Close
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
A Sleepless Night on Wall Street: Nasdaq to Begin Nearly Round-the-Clock Trading
"The First in the World": 69-Year-Old Protested Artificial Intelligence—and Went to Jail
Ukraine's Ousted Defence Minister Calls for Wartime Presidential Election
China’s Lifelike AI Humans Move From Livestreams Into Real-World Service Roles
Sarah Ferguson Reportedly Retreats to Late Ex-Boyfriend's Swiss Chalet
Cristiano Ronaldo and Georgina Rodríguez Sign Prenup Protecting Their Separate Fortunes
Thieves Steal Antonello da Messina Renaissance Masterpieces From Sicilian Museum
Better.com Founder Who Fired 900 Employees on Zoom Is Ousted as CEO
Italian Speed Camera Issues Nearly 32,000 Fines in 10 Weeks, Worth More Than €3 Million
AI Manager at San Francisco Store Recommends Firing Human Employee
Google Launches Pixel 11 With Gemini AI at the Center of Its Hardware Strategy
Reform UK Unveils Plan to Cut Welfare Spending by More Than £50 Billion a Year
Prime Minister Andy Burnham Praised Extinction Rebellion for Doing a 'Great Service'
UK Wildfire Phone Alert Triggers Backlash as Users Switch Off Emergency Warnings
Heathrow Roads Reopen After Burst Water Main Floods Access to Terminals 2 and 3
Former NBA Players Enes Kanter Freedom and Royce White Say They Will Enter 2027 WNBA Draft
Former Cambridge Professor Jason Arday Found Dead Days After Resigning Amid Plagiarism Row
US Appeals Court Rules AI Agent's Website Actions Are Legally Attributed to the User
France's Constitutional Council Blocks Social Media Ban for Children Under 15
Liechtenstein Changes Royal Succession Rules to Allow Women to Inherit the Throne
Women Allege Rape and Sexual Abuse at British Army College for Teenage Recruits
Minnesota: Two independent investigators posed as Muslims (one wearing a burqa) and showed how they could vote in elections without identification.
China’s Kimi Launches AI-Focused Credit Card With Agricultural Bank of China and American Express
Former Labour Adviser Arrested on Suspicion of Spying for China Held Privileged Access as Top Party Donor
Turkish Parliament Passes Landmark Bill Granting Conditional Amnesty to Disarmed PKK Members
Donald Trump Warns FIFA Against Ousting Gianni Infantino Amid Revolt by Global Football Leaders
Jeff Bezos Joins Investor Group Closing In on $6 Billion Liverpool FC Stake
UK Councils to Receive Sweeping Planning Powers to Ban New Vape and Betting Shops
Russia’s A7 Builds a State-Linked Payments Network Beyond Western Sanctions
Hyper-Realistic Reborn Dolls Draw Collectors Seeking Comfort and Craft
Gen Z Cuts Back on Dating as a Night Out Nears $200
Patients Turn to Artificial Intelligence for Therapy as Psychiatrists Warn of Privacy and Clinical Risks
Couples Embrace ‘Sleep Divorce’ to Protect Rest and Reduce Tension
Meta Ordered to Pay $567 Million and Change Facebook and Instagram Safeguards for Children
Up to only 10 Months in Prison for Swedish Officer’s Murderer Sparks Anger
Success: Nvidia Turned Gaming Chips Into the Engine of the AI Boom
Jorge Messi, Lionel Messi’s Father and Longtime Agent, Dies at 68
AI’s Next Bottleneck Is Power, Not Just Nvidia Chips
×