Following statements from Premier and Minister of Finance, Hon Andrew A. Fahie (R1) that the garbage and fire woes at the Pockwood pond facility in the Virgin Islands will soon be over, Minister for Health and Social Development, Hon Carvin Malone (AL), has indicated that the facility is now up and running at its optimum.
“After witnessing the terrible smoke from the Pockwood Pond dump site on Thursday night and all day Friday, the Premier and the entire members of Government are overjoyed with the news of a functional incinerator,” Hon Malone said in a statement released via social media over the weekend.
Fires at the Pockwood Pond landfill had been frequent since the incinerator at the same location was damaged due to a fire on November 26, 2018.
Many affected had raised concerns about the impact of the smoke on their health.
Control Panel installed
The relief for residents came following the installation of a Control Panel for the incinerator.
Hon Malone continued, “All would be done to keep it functional. All would be done to avoid any further smoke from spontaneous combustion,” he said.
The Minister thanked the personnel at his ministry and several project partners including DWM, CONSUTEC and Skelton Electrical, for working to address the issue hence, putting an end to the burial and burning of raw garbage in the area.
Hon Malone said moving forward, a complete waste management strategy is a must for the Territory. He said the seven R’s, ‘reform, restrict, reduce, recycle, reuse, return and rethink” will now be the new action plans for the Territory’s management of its waste.