Beautiful Virgin Islands

Thursday, Feb 19, 2026

Ghislaine Maxwell trial: Defence calls for retrial after juror says he was a 'victim of sexual abuse'

Ghislaine Maxwell trial: Defence calls for retrial after juror says he was a 'victim of sexual abuse'

The socialite's lawyers say the juror "told reporters that he disclosed to the other members of the jury during deliberations that he was a victim of sexual abuse and further described his memory of those events".

Ghislaine Maxwell's defence has called for a retrial after one of the jurors who convicted her told media outlets he was a victim of sexual abuse.

Her lawyers have written to Judge Alison Nathan saying the issue "presents incontrovertible grounds for a new trial".

Christian Everdell, from Cohen and Gresser LLP, added: "The juror told reporters that he disclosed to the other members of the jury during deliberations that he was a victim of sexual abuse and further described his memory of those events.

"According to the juror, his disclosure influenced the deliberations and convinced other members of the jury to convict Ms Maxwell."

Maxwell was found guilty last week of recruiting underage girls to be sexually abused by Jeffrey Epstein.

Since then, she has been told she faces two additional counts of perjury at a second trial.

But Mr Everdell wrote: "Should the defence prevail on this motion - and we believe the law and facts are clearly on our side - it would render all other post-trial motions moot."

Maxwell depicted as the guilty verdict was read out


Prosecutors urge New York court to investigate juror


The United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York has also written to Judge Nathan, saying the "government believes the court should conduct an inquiry".

But the defence, in a further letter, said the "government's request for a hearing is premature because based on undisputed, publicly available information, the court can and should order a new trial without any evidentiary hearing".

It added: "Ms Maxwell intends to request a new trial under Rule 33 because the 'interest of justice so requires'.

"Any submission will include all known undisputed remarks of the juror, including recorded statements, the relevant questionnaire, and other non-controverted facts.

"It is clear to Ms Maxwell that based on this record alone a new trial is required."

Judge Nathan has replied, setting a schedule for the defence to "move for a new trial in light of the issues raised".

The defence motion has been set for 19 January, while the government's response will be on 2 February. The defence will reply on 9 February.

Judge Nathan said the court "reserves decision on whether an inquiry of any kind is warranted".

Maxwell being led away following the guilty verdict


The juror, using his first and middle names, Scotty David, gave interviews saying he "flew through" the prospective juror questionnaire and does not recall being asked whether he had been a victim of sexual abuse.

Had he been asked, he "would have answered honestly", he added.

Sky News understands that the questionnaire did contain an enquiry on that subject.

The Department of Justice letter notes that while jurors were "free to discuss their jury service with anyone of their choosing", some of Scotty David's statements "merit attention by the court".

If continues: "The government proposes that the court schedule a hearing in approximately one month, along with an appropriate schedule for pre-hearing briefing regarding the applicable law and the scope of the hearing."

Jury selection a key part of US justice system


Sky News correspondent Joe Pike, in New York, said Scotty David's involvement raises a potential conflict of interest.

The jury selection process in the US is sometimes seen as having the power to decide the outcome of trials.

In the Maxwell case, there were two stages. First, about 500 potential jurors were asked to fill in the questionnaire.

The document included a question asking jurors whether their families or friends had experienced sexual harassment, abuse, or assault.

Once potential members had been whittled down, the judge interviewed them individually.

Maxwell's lawyers say there are 'incontrovertible grounds for a new trial'.


The victims 'were all believable'


Scotty David, who is 35 and lives in Manhattan, told The Independent the guilty verdict was "for all the victims".

He added: "For those who testified, for those who came forward, and for those who haven't come forward. I'm glad Maxwell has been held accountable.

"This verdict shows that you can be found guilty no matter your status."

He said he believed all four victims who testified during the three-week trial, despite Maxwell's lawyers attempting to discredit their memory of what happened.

"They were all believable. Nothing they said felt to me like a lie," he said.

Newsletter

Related Articles

Beautiful Virgin Islands
0:00
0:00
Close
UK Inflation Falls to Ten-Month Low, Markets Anticipate Interest Rate Cut
UK House Prices Climb 2.4% in December as Market Shows Signs of Stabilisation
BAE Systems Predicts Sustained Expansion as Defence Orders Reach Record High
Pro-Palestine Activists Cleared of Burglary Charges Over Break-In at UK Israeli Arms Facility
Former Reform UK Councillors Form New Local Group Amid Party Fragmentation
Reform UK Pledges to Retain Britain’s Budget Watchdog as It Seeks Broader Economic Credibility
Miliband Defends UK-California Clean Energy Pact After Sharp Criticism by Trump
University of Kentucky to Host 2026 Summer Camps Fair Connecting Families with Local Programmes
UK Police Forces Assess Claims Jeffrey Epstein Used Stansted Airport Flights in Trafficking Network
UK-Focused Equity ETF FLGB Climbs to Fresh 52-Week Peak on Strong Market Sentiment
Trump Warns UK’s Chagos Islands Agreement Is a “Big Mistake” Amid Strategic Security Debate
Trump Urges UK to Retain Sovereignty Over Diego Garcia Amid Strategic Concerns
Italian Police Arrest Man After Alleged Attempt to Abduct Toddler at Bergamo Supermarket, Child Hospitalised With Fractured Femur
Reform UK Appoints Former Conservative Minister Robert Jenrick as Finance Chief
UK Unemployment Rises to Highest in Nearly Five Years as Labour Market Weakens
Rupert Lowe Advocates for English-Only Use in the UK
US Successfully Transports Small Nuclear Reactor from California to Utah
South Korea's traditional sand wrestling sport ssireum faces declining interest at home
Japan outlawed Islam
Virginia Giuffre accuses Epstein of trafficking to powerful men for blackmail.
New Mexico lawmakers initiate investigation into Zorro Ranch linked to Jeffrey Epstein
British Tourist Arrested at Hong Kong Airport After Meltdown and Vandalism
Nigel Farage Names Reform UK Frontbench Team and Signals Zero Tolerance for Internal Dissent
Qualcomm to Withdraw UK Lawsuit Over Smartphone Chip Royalty Dispute
Major UK Banks Explore Domestic Card Network to Rival Visa and Mastercard
Cold Health Alert Issued Across UK as Temperatures Drop Sharply
Nine-Year-Old Becomes First Child in UK to Undergo Groundbreaking Leg-Lengthening Surgery
UK Workers Face Stagnant Incomes and a Softening Labour Market as Unemployment Climbs
UK Passport Rules Tightened for British Dual Nationals Under New Travel Guidance
California Deepens Global Climate Alliance with New UK Pact and Major Clean-Tech Investment Drive
UK Supreme Court Tightens Rules on Use of ‘Milk’ and ‘Cheese’ Labels for Plant-Based Products
University of Kentucky Postpones Feb. 19 Law Enforcement Training Exercise in Lexington
‘The only thing illegal is Keir Starmer handing these islands to a country like Mauritius!’
JD Vance says Germany is “killing itself” by taking in millions of fake asylum seekers from culturally incompatible nations.
UK Markets Signal Opportunity as Starmer Confronts Intensifying Political Pressure
Trump Criticises Newsom’s UK Climate Pact, Defends Federal Authority Over Foreign Engagements
UK’s Top Prosecutor Says ‘No One Is Above the Law’ as Police Review Claims Against Ex-Prince Andrew
Rubio Calls for Sweeping U.N. Reform, Saying It Has Failed to End Wars in Gaza and Ukraine
Prince William Meets Saudi Crown Prince as Epstein-Andrew Fallout Casts Shadow
Starmer Calls for Renewed ‘Hard Power’ Investment at European Security Summit
UK Police Establish National Taskforce to Handle Domestic Epstein-Linked Allegations
UK Court Rules Ban on Palestine Action Unlawful in Major Free Speech Test
UK Faces Prospect of Net Migration Turning Negative as Economic Impact Looms
Peter Mandelson Asked to Testify Before US Congress Over Jeffrey Epstein Links
Document Suggests Prince Andrew Shared UK Briefing on Afghan Investment Opportunities with Jeffrey Epstein
Beijing Brands UK Hong Kong Visa Expansion ‘Despicable and Reprehensible’ After Jimmy Lai Sentencing
Tesco Chief Warns UK Is ‘Sleepwalking’ Toward a Joblessness Crisis
Trump’s ‘Act of Great Stupidity’ Comment on UK Chagos Deal Reverberates Through Diplomacy and Strategy
New U.S. filings say Jeffrey Epstein repaid Les Wexner one hundred million dollars after theft allegation
Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick acknowledges 2012 visit to Jeffrey Epstein’s private island as lawmakers scrutinise past ties
×