Beautiful Virgin Islands

Friday, Aug 21, 2026

Ground broken for new National Emergency Operations Centre

Ground broken for new National Emergency Operations Centre

Officials didn’t just break ground on the new National Emergency Operations Centre site in McNamara on last week. They also broke the building that it will replace.

Premier Andrew Fahie climbed into an excavator and smashed part of the existing facility during the conclusion of an afternoon ground-breaking ceremony.

The building, which was destroyed by Hurricane Irma in 2017, will be fully demolished in the coming days.

Officials said the new NEOC won’t be ready for about two years, but they added that it will be state-of-the-art and able to withstand future disasters like hurricanes and earthquakes.

“The new building will help support effective disaster preparedness and effective disaster response, providing a safe and secure operation centre, and it will be a key example of building back better,” Governor John Rankin said. “I understand it will house state-of-the-art IT systems, which are of key importance in disaster response.”

Jasen Penn, acting director of the Department of Disaster Management, recounted his experience working at the former NEOC during Irma.

The building was largely destroyed in the first half of the storm, and all 25 people inside evacuated during the eye.

“After ripping through the fences and trees and dealing with injured staff, … we had finally found the next place to shelter for the second half of the storm,” he said. “If we had not moved, we would’ve not been alive today.”

He also thanked the premier for making the new NEOC a priority.

After more remarks, the governor, the premier, Deputy Governor David Archer, and Transportation, Works and Utilities Minister Kye Rymer used shovels to break ground.

Then Mr. Fahie climbed into the excavator and began the demolition process.

Project history


The project has been a long time coming. Previous plans for the building were originally drawn up in 2010.

That year, architectural designs, engineering drawings and geotechnical studies were completed and submitted for a $4.3 million, 17,762-square-foot building designed to withstand various types of natural disasters.

However, Cabinet never approved funding for the project in spite of repeated warnings from then-DDM Director Sharleen Dabreo-Lettsome that the DDM’s McNamara headquarters — which served as the NEOC — couldn’t withstand a major storm.

When Irma destroyed the building in September 2017, she was proved right.

After the hurricane, the NEOC temporarily relocated to the Dr. Orlando Smith Hospital, and then to the Ritter House on Wickhams Cay II. More recently, DDM has been operating out of a space in Simms Mini Mall in Road Town.

“It has been a long road,” Ms. Dabreo-Lettsome said on Tuesday.

Contract


Earlier this month, government signed a $9,803,215.53 contract for the project, which will be funded by the Caribbean Development Bank’s Rehabilitation and Reconstruction Loan.

Out of six tenderers, VI-based companies Tandem Development and D&B Heavy Equipment Services Ltd. successfully bid on the project and will work on it together, according to government.

The 18,028-square-foot building was designed by the Puerto Rico firm Virella, Crespo and Associates to meet the new International Building Code and the Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States Building Code, government explained.

It is also expected to meet the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design standard, which is a green building certification programme used worldwide.

Newsletter

Related Articles

Beautiful Virgin Islands
0:00
0:00
Close
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
A Sleepless Night on Wall Street: Nasdaq to Begin Nearly Round-the-Clock Trading
"The First in the World": 69-Year-Old Protested Artificial Intelligence—and Went to Jail
Ukraine's Ousted Defence Minister Calls for Wartime Presidential Election
China’s Lifelike AI Humans Move From Livestreams Into Real-World Service Roles
Sarah Ferguson Reportedly Retreats to Late Ex-Boyfriend's Swiss Chalet
Cristiano Ronaldo and Georgina Rodríguez Sign Prenup Protecting Their Separate Fortunes
Thieves Steal Antonello da Messina Renaissance Masterpieces From Sicilian Museum
Better.com Founder Who Fired 900 Employees on Zoom Is Ousted as CEO
Italian Speed Camera Issues Nearly 32,000 Fines in 10 Weeks, Worth More Than €3 Million
AI Manager at San Francisco Store Recommends Firing Human Employee
Google Launches Pixel 11 With Gemini AI at the Center of Its Hardware Strategy
Reform UK Unveils Plan to Cut Welfare Spending by More Than £50 Billion a Year
Prime Minister Andy Burnham Praised Extinction Rebellion for Doing a 'Great Service'
UK Wildfire Phone Alert Triggers Backlash as Users Switch Off Emergency Warnings
Heathrow Roads Reopen After Burst Water Main Floods Access to Terminals 2 and 3
Former NBA Players Enes Kanter Freedom and Royce White Say They Will Enter 2027 WNBA Draft
Former Cambridge Professor Jason Arday Found Dead Days After Resigning Amid Plagiarism Row
US Appeals Court Rules AI Agent's Website Actions Are Legally Attributed to the User
France's Constitutional Council Blocks Social Media Ban for Children Under 15
Liechtenstein Changes Royal Succession Rules to Allow Women to Inherit the Throne
Women Allege Rape and Sexual Abuse at British Army College for Teenage Recruits
Minnesota: Two independent investigators posed as Muslims (one wearing a burqa) and showed how they could vote in elections without identification.
China’s Kimi Launches AI-Focused Credit Card With Agricultural Bank of China and American Express
Former Labour Adviser Arrested on Suspicion of Spying for China Held Privileged Access as Top Party Donor
Turkish Parliament Passes Landmark Bill Granting Conditional Amnesty to Disarmed PKK Members
Donald Trump Warns FIFA Against Ousting Gianni Infantino Amid Revolt by Global Football Leaders
Jeff Bezos Joins Investor Group Closing In on $6 Billion Liverpool FC Stake
UK Councils to Receive Sweeping Planning Powers to Ban New Vape and Betting Shops
Russia’s A7 Builds a State-Linked Payments Network Beyond Western Sanctions
Hyper-Realistic Reborn Dolls Draw Collectors Seeking Comfort and Craft
Gen Z Cuts Back on Dating as a Night Out Nears $200
Patients Turn to Artificial Intelligence for Therapy as Psychiatrists Warn of Privacy and Clinical Risks
Couples Embrace ‘Sleep Divorce’ to Protect Rest and Reduce Tension
Meta Ordered to Pay $567 Million and Change Facebook and Instagram Safeguards for Children
Up to only 10 Months in Prison for Swedish Officer’s Murderer Sparks Anger
Success: Nvidia Turned Gaming Chips Into the Engine of the AI Boom
Jorge Messi, Lionel Messi’s Father and Longtime Agent, Dies at 68
AI’s Next Bottleneck Is Power, Not Just Nvidia Chips
Advertising trick: Pepsi’s Harrier Jet Commercial Led to a $700,000 Court Fight
×