Beautiful Virgin Islands

Wednesday, Aug 19, 2026

Health Minister fumes at incinerator contractor’s lapses

Health Minister fumes at incinerator contractor’s lapses

Health Minister Carvin Malone has lashed out at the contractor responsible for replacing proprietary equipment at the Pockwood Pond incinerator plant in the wake of yet another disastrous fire at the facility.

The government inked a deal with Consutech Systems LLC in 2019 for the replacement of a control panel as well as other equipment after a 2018 fire.

But Malone, who has responsibility for waste management, said the government has not been pleased with the deliverables.

“This incinerator has been plagued with issues. The conveyor belt needs to be replaced, we provided the money and the delivery of it is not in a manner which we are pleased,” Malone said recently.

“This is the same company which we were having issues in terms of the scrubber [device used to filter noxious fumes emitting from the incinerator] and internal conveyor belt so we are looking in terms of how we can get this done in a manner which makes sense to the public, to us, and in terms of safety for proper disposal of waste,” the Health Minister stated.

He added: “The actual scrubber is a story of four, five, six years. We’re not pleased with that. Other major equipment that this company should be sending, we are not pleased with the delivery of these but we will keep pushing because it is proprietary equipment so only that company could supply those particular parts.”

Pockwood Pond waste facility fully in operable


Minister Malone said Monday’s fire was a significant setback to plans being made to have the incinerator fixed and expressed that the plant was now fully inoperable.

He also frowned on the fact that there is now a ‘zero treatment capacity’ at Pockwood Pond because two incinerators had now been damaged.

Waste treatment upgrade being explored


Meanwhile, Malone said officials have also been examining ways of upgrading the solid waste treatment in the BVI.

The government signed a $400,000 contract in August last year through the Recovery and Development Agency (RDA) with Wood Group UK Ltd for the designs and ultimate contracting of a modern means for managing waste in the territory.

According to a government release, the contract entailed a feasibility study to develop a sustainable and modern landfill that contributes to a responsible and circular management of waste within the BVI.

The Health Minister shared a glint of optimism after noting that he had spoken to agents at the RDA who are overseeing the process and said they will reach out to the Wood Group so that the process to get equipment in can be fast-tracked.

“We can hasten that particular contract for the specification of the drawing so that we can then send this out to bid and get this equipment in as soon as we could,” the minister said.

“We are in the advanced stages of it and we’ll have to now propel it even more now that [a fire] has occurred again,” he added. “The quicker that we can get the new plant in or the refurbishment of this plant then the better for everyone involved.”

Newsletter

Related Articles

Beautiful Virgin Islands
0:00
0:00
Close
China’s Lifelike AI Humans Move From Livestreams Into Real-World Service Roles
Sarah Ferguson Reportedly Retreats to Late Ex-Boyfriend's Swiss Chalet
Cristiano Ronaldo and Georgina Rodríguez Sign Prenup Protecting Their Separate Fortunes
Thieves Steal Antonello da Messina Renaissance Masterpieces From Sicilian Museum
Better.com Founder Who Fired 900 Employees on Zoom Is Ousted as CEO
Italian Speed Camera Issues Nearly 32,000 Fines in 10 Weeks, Worth More Than €3 Million
AI Manager at San Francisco Store Recommends Firing Human Employee
Google Launches Pixel 11 With Gemini AI at the Center of Its Hardware Strategy
Reform UK Unveils Plan to Cut Welfare Spending by More Than £50 Billion a Year
Prime Minister Andy Burnham Praised Extinction Rebellion for Doing a 'Great Service'
UK Wildfire Phone Alert Triggers Backlash as Users Switch Off Emergency Warnings
Heathrow Roads Reopen After Burst Water Main Floods Access to Terminals 2 and 3
Former NBA Players Enes Kanter Freedom and Royce White Say They Will Enter 2027 WNBA Draft
Former Cambridge Professor Jason Arday Found Dead Days After Resigning Amid Plagiarism Row
US Appeals Court Rules AI Agent's Website Actions Are Legally Attributed to the User
France's Constitutional Council Blocks Social Media Ban for Children Under 15
Liechtenstein Changes Royal Succession Rules to Allow Women to Inherit the Throne
Women Allege Rape and Sexual Abuse at British Army College for Teenage Recruits
Minnesota: Two independent investigators posed as Muslims (one wearing a burqa) and showed how they could vote in elections without identification.
China’s Kimi Launches AI-Focused Credit Card With Agricultural Bank of China and American Express
Former Labour Adviser Arrested on Suspicion of Spying for China Held Privileged Access as Top Party Donor
Turkish Parliament Passes Landmark Bill Granting Conditional Amnesty to Disarmed PKK Members
Donald Trump Warns FIFA Against Ousting Gianni Infantino Amid Revolt by Global Football Leaders
Jeff Bezos Joins Investor Group Closing In on $6 Billion Liverpool FC Stake
UK Councils to Receive Sweeping Planning Powers to Ban New Vape and Betting Shops
Russia’s A7 Builds a State-Linked Payments Network Beyond Western Sanctions
Hyper-Realistic Reborn Dolls Draw Collectors Seeking Comfort and Craft
Gen Z Cuts Back on Dating as a Night Out Nears $200
Patients Turn to Artificial Intelligence for Therapy as Psychiatrists Warn of Privacy and Clinical Risks
Couples Embrace ‘Sleep Divorce’ to Protect Rest and Reduce Tension
Meta Ordered to Pay $567 Million and Change Facebook and Instagram Safeguards for Children
Up to only 10 Months in Prison for Swedish Officer’s Murderer Sparks Anger
Success: Nvidia Turned Gaming Chips Into the Engine of the AI Boom
Jorge Messi, Lionel Messi’s Father and Longtime Agent, Dies at 68
AI’s Next Bottleneck Is Power, Not Just Nvidia Chips
Advertising trick: Pepsi’s Harrier Jet Commercial Led to a $700,000 Court Fight
Meta Raises AI Spending Target to as Much as $145bn Despite Pressure Over Returns
Danube Drought Exposes Nazi Wrecks and Pushes Central Europe’s Power System to the Brink
Joe Biden’s Cancer Has Spread Beyond His Bones, Hunter Biden Says
Air Traffic Control Outage Grounded Flights Across the Midwest
Why 2027 Could Be a Strong Year for Stocks—and Why the Forecast Is Fragile
Why Markets May Look Quiet in August After Big Tech Earnings
Australian Crew Evacuates Seriously Ill American From Antarctica in Midwinter Darkness
Trump’s Top General Seeks an Exit Strategy From Iran War, Report Says
Brock Lesnar Retires From Wrestling, Closing a Career of Rare Athletic Range and Lasting Controversy
Trump-Era Policy Shifts Test the Boundaries of U.S. Institutions
UK Drought Cuts Harvests and Raises Food-Security Fears
UFO: Pentagon Releases Video of Unidentified Object Tracked Over Middle East
US Health Secretary: “I’m Not Afraid of Germs — I Used to Snort Cocaine Off Toilet Seats”
Ukraine Tells Senate Republicans Its Drone War Offers a Blueprint for America
×