Beautiful Virgin Islands

Saturday, Aug 22, 2026

Immigration department did not give instruction that resulted in mother and child separation

Immigration department did not give instruction that resulted in mother and child separation

Labour and Immigration Minister Vincent Wheatley has refuted recent claims which suggest that the Immigration Department gave instructions that resulted in the separation of a mother and her child.

In a statement issued on Friday June 18, the Minister vividly explained the details involving the case and said his ministry went above and beyond to assist the woman in question.

“Firstly, I would like to make it abundantly clear that at no time did the Immigration Department give any instructions or demands that would have resulted in the separation of this individual from their infant child as has been widely broadcasted. However, I will endeavour to give the facts of the case so that clarity can be brought to you, the public,” he stated.

The minister said the woman was in the process of switching jobs during the pandemic in July 2020, but it was ultimately the new employer’s non-compliance with the requested requirements from the Department of Labour that resulted in her having to briefly leave the territory to return.

Conditional Permit was specially approved by Chief Immigration Officer


Wheatley pointed to a number of instances where the Immigration Department went above and beyond to facilitate the woman’s requests to have her remain in the territory without having to depart.

This included the approval of a Conditional Permit which was approved by the Chief Immigration Officer (CIO) after she initially did not qualify for such a permit.

He said, “The Act stipulates that an individual attempting to change employer should have held valid permits to engage in gainful occupation, for at least five years, preceding the date of the application. The Act also allows for a person seeking to change from residing without employment should have held a valid permit to reside in the Territory other than for the purpose of engaging in any gainful occupation, for at least three years, preceding the date of the application. The individual in question did not meet the five-year requirement for persons who are seeking to change employer.”

“However, after further assessment by the department of the individual’s case and the ongoing pandemic, the Chief Immigration Officer utilised his discretion as per Section 31 (2A) of the Act and approve the issuance of a Conditional Permit to the individual on 11th August, 2020 for a period of three months, as is the customary issue time,” he further explained.

Employee & employer unable to meet requirements of Labour Code 2010


Wheatley said that after the Conditional Permit was approved to allow for the transitioning into the new job, several discrepancies were found from the employee and employer that were never rectified.

“During the three-month period, it is expected that an individual would undergo the change of employer work permit processing with the Department of Labour and Workforce Development and subsequently return to the Immigration Department to complete the work permit process. However, the individual and the prospective employer were unable to meet a number of very important requirements of the Labour Code 2010 as stipulated by the Department of Labour and Workforce Development. This resulted in the denial of the work permit in late November of 2020, by which time, the issued Conditional Permit had lapsed,” he stated.

He added, “The individual, after receiving information on the denial of the work permit had not presented herself to the Immigration Department until 23rd February, 2021, three months after the issued Conditional Permit had lapsed. During an interview held on that date, the individual was informed that they had been overstaying in the Territory and the full ramifications for such an offense was shared. Subsequently, the individual was asked to surrender her travel documents, to which she complied. The individual was then asked to acquire a ticket to depart the territory as she had surpassed the usually allotted time for any reasonable extensions to the Conditional Permit to be issued,” he further stated.

Despite expired Conditional Permit CIO was willing find solution


Wheatley, who is the Ninth District Representative also said that additional measures were taken by the Chief Immigration Officer to find a possible solution despite the expired Conditional Permit.

However, after the CIO ordered a further assessment to be carried out with the employer and the woman in question, it was highlighted that there was continued noncompliance with the Department of Labour and Workforce Developments requirements. This resulted in maintaining the decision to deny the work permit.

He said, “It was agreed that the matter was beyond repair and the individual was informed that they would have to depart the territory, as it was clear that no further effort was made by the employer to rectify the matter.”

Immigration department organized travel documents for child


The minister also said that the Immigration Department went above and beyond to furnish the infant child the necessary documents that would allow both mother and child to depart the territory together.

However, the woman departed the BVI without the infant on May 30, 2021, and returned on 9 June, 2021 with a new clearance for employment with the previously proposed employer.

“It would be remiss of me to not mention again that the separation of the infant from its parent was not the fault nor a directive of the Immigration Department, but rather a decision made by the parent when confronted with a choice related to their travel capabilities,” the minister stated.

Wheatley applauded the Chief Immigration Officer and his department for their exceptional work in assisting with the aforementioned case.

Newsletter

Related Articles

Beautiful Virgin Islands
0:00
0:00
Close
Petrol Bombs Set Luxury Cars Alight Outside Birmingham Wedding as Police Hunt Three Men
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
A Sleepless Night on Wall Street: Nasdaq to Begin Nearly Round-the-Clock Trading
"The First in the World": 69-Year-Old Protested Artificial Intelligence—and Went to Jail
Ukraine's Ousted Defence Minister Calls for Wartime Presidential Election
China’s Lifelike AI Humans Move From Livestreams Into Real-World Service Roles
Sarah Ferguson Reportedly Retreats to Late Ex-Boyfriend's Swiss Chalet
Cristiano Ronaldo and Georgina Rodríguez Sign Prenup Protecting Their Separate Fortunes
Thieves Steal Antonello da Messina Renaissance Masterpieces From Sicilian Museum
Better.com Founder Who Fired 900 Employees on Zoom Is Ousted as CEO
Italian Speed Camera Issues Nearly 32,000 Fines in 10 Weeks, Worth More Than €3 Million
AI Manager at San Francisco Store Recommends Firing Human Employee
Google Launches Pixel 11 With Gemini AI at the Center of Its Hardware Strategy
Reform UK Unveils Plan to Cut Welfare Spending by More Than £50 Billion a Year
Prime Minister Andy Burnham Praised Extinction Rebellion for Doing a 'Great Service'
UK Wildfire Phone Alert Triggers Backlash as Users Switch Off Emergency Warnings
Heathrow Roads Reopen After Burst Water Main Floods Access to Terminals 2 and 3
Former NBA Players Enes Kanter Freedom and Royce White Say They Will Enter 2027 WNBA Draft
Former Cambridge Professor Jason Arday Found Dead Days After Resigning Amid Plagiarism Row
US Appeals Court Rules AI Agent's Website Actions Are Legally Attributed to the User
France's Constitutional Council Blocks Social Media Ban for Children Under 15
Liechtenstein Changes Royal Succession Rules to Allow Women to Inherit the Throne
Women Allege Rape and Sexual Abuse at British Army College for Teenage Recruits
Minnesota: Two independent investigators posed as Muslims (one wearing a burqa) and showed how they could vote in elections without identification.
China’s Kimi Launches AI-Focused Credit Card With Agricultural Bank of China and American Express
Former Labour Adviser Arrested on Suspicion of Spying for China Held Privileged Access as Top Party Donor
Turkish Parliament Passes Landmark Bill Granting Conditional Amnesty to Disarmed PKK Members
Donald Trump Warns FIFA Against Ousting Gianni Infantino Amid Revolt by Global Football Leaders
Jeff Bezos Joins Investor Group Closing In on $6 Billion Liverpool FC Stake
UK Councils to Receive Sweeping Planning Powers to Ban New Vape and Betting Shops
Russia’s A7 Builds a State-Linked Payments Network Beyond Western Sanctions
Hyper-Realistic Reborn Dolls Draw Collectors Seeking Comfort and Craft
Gen Z Cuts Back on Dating as a Night Out Nears $200
Patients Turn to Artificial Intelligence for Therapy as Psychiatrists Warn of Privacy and Clinical Risks
Couples Embrace ‘Sleep Divorce’ to Protect Rest and Reduce Tension
Meta Ordered to Pay $567 Million and Change Facebook and Instagram Safeguards for Children
Up to only 10 Months in Prison for Swedish Officer’s Murderer Sparks Anger
Success: Nvidia Turned Gaming Chips Into the Engine of the AI Boom
Jorge Messi, Lionel Messi’s Father and Longtime Agent, Dies at 68
×