Beautiful Virgin Islands

Tuesday, Aug 18, 2026

No sharing at school, students told

No sharing at school, students told

As several schools reopen for face-to-face classes five days per week, students are being advised that sharing is forbidden on campus.

Culturally, it is not at all uncommon for students to share textbooks and other stationeries as they receive lessons inside the classroom.

But Education Minister Dr Natalio Wheatley announced a halt on this practice to minimise any potential spread of COVID-19 in schools.

“All students must have their materials, including textbooks, writing tools, and electronic devices, as sharing will not be permitted,” Dr Wheatley stated in a recent sitting of the House of Assembly.

Staggered lunchtimes and dismissals


He also said parents are to ensure their children attend school with a face shield or mask and personal containers of hand sanitiser. The minister further said break and lunch times have been staggered for the grade levels to minimise students having the opportunities to gather in groups.

“Parents are to secure packed lunches for their children from vendors if they are not able to give them lunch from home. School dismissal will also be done in a staggered manner by grade levels as determined by the principals of each school. Transportation of students to the campus is still the responsibility of the parents. The organised bus transportation will continue for secondary students who utilise this means to attend school,” he stated.

“Electronic devices must be used in school daily. This means that despite the fact that students are now back in the classroom, the use of technology in the teaching and learning process will continue. As we have determined this methodology and instructional format, using electronic devices, is now official in school delivery; electronic textbooks, as well as Google Classroom must be fully utilised. Principals are challenged to ensure that this happens in each school on a regular basis,” the minister added.

Plan to gradually increase face-to-face classes


So far, educational institutions such as Elmore Stoutt High School (ESHS), Bregado Flax Educational Centre and the Enid Scatliffe Pre-Primary School continue to utilise the hybrid/ shift modality and gradually increase the number of students daily on campus.

For ESHS, selected groups from Grades 7 to 9 are attending classes on campus while the majority of students in those grades remain in online classes.

However, Cabinet this month approved for the social distancing requirements inside classrooms to be reduced from six feet to three feet. With this setup, Dr Wheatley said more sessions on campus will be gradually introduced.

“For the senior school, plans are to eventually implement a shift system to have all students attending classes five days a week,” he stated.

“While the major setbacks for all three schools are centred on the shortage of available resources to accommodate the student population, the ongoing reconstruction at Bregado Educational Centre, secondary division, is an additional constraint with the rebuild works of buildings two and three. As a result of the construction, the number of students on the secondary division of the school campus has been limited to the technical students, special education and marginalised groups. Construction works are nearing completion, and the final walkthrough and handover is scheduled for the 5th May. We are looking forward to our staff and students being able to occupy the buildings by the end of May 2021,” the ministers stated.

He continued: “For the Ivan Dawson Primary School, infrastructural works and campus clean-up, which have been ongoing since 11th January 2021, are nearing completion. The repairs are completed, and the next phase of thoroughly cleaning the building will begin. This we anticipate to take place once the necessary resources can be secured to complete the cleaning process. The school remains at the Cane Garden Bay Baptist Church hall for classes.”

Newsletter

Related Articles

Beautiful Virgin Islands
0:00
0:00
Close
China’s Lifelike AI Humans Move From Livestreams Into Real-World Service Roles
Sarah Ferguson Reportedly Retreats to Late Ex-Boyfriend's Swiss Chalet
Cristiano Ronaldo and Georgina Rodríguez Sign Prenup Protecting Their Separate Fortunes
Thieves Steal Antonello da Messina Renaissance Masterpieces From Sicilian Museum
Better.com Founder Who Fired 900 Employees on Zoom Is Ousted as CEO
Italian Speed Camera Issues Nearly 32,000 Fines in 10 Weeks, Worth More Than €3 Million
AI Manager at San Francisco Store Recommends Firing Human Employee
Google Launches Pixel 11 With Gemini AI at the Center of Its Hardware Strategy
Reform UK Unveils Plan to Cut Welfare Spending by More Than £50 Billion a Year
Prime Minister Andy Burnham Praised Extinction Rebellion for Doing a 'Great Service'
UK Wildfire Phone Alert Triggers Backlash as Users Switch Off Emergency Warnings
Heathrow Roads Reopen After Burst Water Main Floods Access to Terminals 2 and 3
Former NBA Players Enes Kanter Freedom and Royce White Say They Will Enter 2027 WNBA Draft
Former Cambridge Professor Jason Arday Found Dead Days After Resigning Amid Plagiarism Row
US Appeals Court Rules AI Agent's Website Actions Are Legally Attributed to the User
France's Constitutional Council Blocks Social Media Ban for Children Under 15
Liechtenstein Changes Royal Succession Rules to Allow Women to Inherit the Throne
Women Allege Rape and Sexual Abuse at British Army College for Teenage Recruits
Minnesota: Two independent investigators posed as Muslims (one wearing a burqa) and showed how they could vote in elections without identification.
China’s Kimi Launches AI-Focused Credit Card With Agricultural Bank of China and American Express
Former Labour Adviser Arrested on Suspicion of Spying for China Held Privileged Access as Top Party Donor
Turkish Parliament Passes Landmark Bill Granting Conditional Amnesty to Disarmed PKK Members
Donald Trump Warns FIFA Against Ousting Gianni Infantino Amid Revolt by Global Football Leaders
Jeff Bezos Joins Investor Group Closing In on $6 Billion Liverpool FC Stake
UK Councils to Receive Sweeping Planning Powers to Ban New Vape and Betting Shops
Russia’s A7 Builds a State-Linked Payments Network Beyond Western Sanctions
Hyper-Realistic Reborn Dolls Draw Collectors Seeking Comfort and Craft
Gen Z Cuts Back on Dating as a Night Out Nears $200
Patients Turn to Artificial Intelligence for Therapy as Psychiatrists Warn of Privacy and Clinical Risks
Couples Embrace ‘Sleep Divorce’ to Protect Rest and Reduce Tension
Meta Ordered to Pay $567 Million and Change Facebook and Instagram Safeguards for Children
Up to only 10 Months in Prison for Swedish Officer’s Murderer Sparks Anger
Success: Nvidia Turned Gaming Chips Into the Engine of the AI Boom
Jorge Messi, Lionel Messi’s Father and Longtime Agent, Dies at 68
AI’s Next Bottleneck Is Power, Not Just Nvidia Chips
Advertising trick: Pepsi’s Harrier Jet Commercial Led to a $700,000 Court Fight
Meta Raises AI Spending Target to as Much as $145bn Despite Pressure Over Returns
Danube Drought Exposes Nazi Wrecks and Pushes Central Europe’s Power System to the Brink
Joe Biden’s Cancer Has Spread Beyond His Bones, Hunter Biden Says
Air Traffic Control Outage Grounded Flights Across the Midwest
Why 2027 Could Be a Strong Year for Stocks—and Why the Forecast Is Fragile
Why Markets May Look Quiet in August After Big Tech Earnings
Australian Crew Evacuates Seriously Ill American From Antarctica in Midwinter Darkness
Trump’s Top General Seeks an Exit Strategy From Iran War, Report Says
Brock Lesnar Retires From Wrestling, Closing a Career of Rare Athletic Range and Lasting Controversy
Trump-Era Policy Shifts Test the Boundaries of U.S. Institutions
UK Drought Cuts Harvests and Raises Food-Security Fears
UFO: Pentagon Releases Video of Unidentified Object Tracked Over Middle East
US Health Secretary: “I’m Not Afraid of Germs — I Used to Snort Cocaine Off Toilet Seats”
Ukraine Tells Senate Republicans Its Drone War Offers a Blueprint for America
×