Beautiful Virgin Islands

Saturday, Aug 22, 2026

Opposition backs call for protest against gov’t for tourism protocols

Opposition backs call for protest against gov’t for tourism protocols

Some members of Her Majesty’s Loyal Opposition have expressed support towards the decision of some residents who recently took to social media calling for a protest against the government following its latest announcement.

On Monday, October 26, the government finally announced the BVI’s travel protocols which are to be implemented for the December 1 reopening of the territory to visitors.

A number of the listed protocols were met with disappointment from some residents and business owners who took to social media to express their discontent. Shortly thereafter, effects of the protocols were felt across numerous tourism-based businesses, after hundreds of pre-booked guests had started to cancel their reservations.

Others felt that the announcement lacked essential information which had been promised to be addressed during the highly-anticipated announcement. Part of that which was lacking is the government’s failure to address the marine industry, which plays a pivotal role in the BVI’s tourism sector.

That led to a number of residents taking to social media to express a need for a march or protest of some kind against the government to have their concerns addressed.

Publicly support the stance


Responding to questions from members of the media on Wednesday, Opposition Leader Marlon Penn said he supports the decision of the people, once it is done in a civilized and peaceful manner.

He said: “I would say publicly that I support the people to civil unrest. If the people have a concern in terms of the issues of the day that need … transparency, then go to government.”

“The business community went through a process where they had a petition, they were responsible in their approach, they wrote to the government and expressed their concerns in terms of what’s happening in the business community and they were able to have a meeting with the government, even though the government didn’t listen to them. But the fact that they had an opportunity to have a meeting with the government, it’s the right of the people,” Penn added.

The right of the people


Also sharing similar sentiments was Opposition legislator, Melvin ‘Mitch’ Turnbull who said residents are within their right to protest, should they choose to.

He said: “The people are the government so if that is the feeling of the people, they have the power. The power is not to be relinquished after they vote for persons on election day. The powers still lie with the people. The people have a right to demand from government and their elected representative of what they want to see happen for their best interest.”

He added: “So if that’s the approach that they want to take because they feel dissatisfied with the lack of information and transparency that this government is continued to portray and demonstrate, then they have the right to do so, so I have no opposition to that measure.”

Confident the premier will get it right


Meanwhile, senior Opposition legislator Julian Fraser said he believes a march will not happen, as he is certain Premier Andrew Fahie will make the necessary changes before it gets to that stage.

“I am confident it would never get to that point. I know the Premier, he will do whatever he has to do,” Fraser stated.

“We are here talking to them right now about how we feel about the protocols that have been published, we just feel like they’re just onerous, nonrealistic, and if the people feel the same way and the Premier is hearing it, I’m sure that he will make sure that he makes the adjustments that are necessary,” Fraser said.

Newsletter

Related Articles

Beautiful Virgin Islands
0:00
0:00
Close
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
A Sleepless Night on Wall Street: Nasdaq to Begin Nearly Round-the-Clock Trading
"The First in the World": 69-Year-Old Protested Artificial Intelligence—and Went to Jail
Ukraine's Ousted Defence Minister Calls for Wartime Presidential Election
China’s Lifelike AI Humans Move From Livestreams Into Real-World Service Roles
Sarah Ferguson Reportedly Retreats to Late Ex-Boyfriend's Swiss Chalet
Cristiano Ronaldo and Georgina Rodríguez Sign Prenup Protecting Their Separate Fortunes
Thieves Steal Antonello da Messina Renaissance Masterpieces From Sicilian Museum
Better.com Founder Who Fired 900 Employees on Zoom Is Ousted as CEO
Italian Speed Camera Issues Nearly 32,000 Fines in 10 Weeks, Worth More Than €3 Million
AI Manager at San Francisco Store Recommends Firing Human Employee
Google Launches Pixel 11 With Gemini AI at the Center of Its Hardware Strategy
Reform UK Unveils Plan to Cut Welfare Spending by More Than £50 Billion a Year
Prime Minister Andy Burnham Praised Extinction Rebellion for Doing a 'Great Service'
UK Wildfire Phone Alert Triggers Backlash as Users Switch Off Emergency Warnings
Heathrow Roads Reopen After Burst Water Main Floods Access to Terminals 2 and 3
Former NBA Players Enes Kanter Freedom and Royce White Say They Will Enter 2027 WNBA Draft
Former Cambridge Professor Jason Arday Found Dead Days After Resigning Amid Plagiarism Row
US Appeals Court Rules AI Agent's Website Actions Are Legally Attributed to the User
France's Constitutional Council Blocks Social Media Ban for Children Under 15
Liechtenstein Changes Royal Succession Rules to Allow Women to Inherit the Throne
Women Allege Rape and Sexual Abuse at British Army College for Teenage Recruits
Minnesota: Two independent investigators posed as Muslims (one wearing a burqa) and showed how they could vote in elections without identification.
China’s Kimi Launches AI-Focused Credit Card With Agricultural Bank of China and American Express
Former Labour Adviser Arrested on Suspicion of Spying for China Held Privileged Access as Top Party Donor
Turkish Parliament Passes Landmark Bill Granting Conditional Amnesty to Disarmed PKK Members
Donald Trump Warns FIFA Against Ousting Gianni Infantino Amid Revolt by Global Football Leaders
Jeff Bezos Joins Investor Group Closing In on $6 Billion Liverpool FC Stake
UK Councils to Receive Sweeping Planning Powers to Ban New Vape and Betting Shops
Russia’s A7 Builds a State-Linked Payments Network Beyond Western Sanctions
Hyper-Realistic Reborn Dolls Draw Collectors Seeking Comfort and Craft
Gen Z Cuts Back on Dating as a Night Out Nears $200
Patients Turn to Artificial Intelligence for Therapy as Psychiatrists Warn of Privacy and Clinical Risks
Couples Embrace ‘Sleep Divorce’ to Protect Rest and Reduce Tension
Meta Ordered to Pay $567 Million and Change Facebook and Instagram Safeguards for Children
Up to only 10 Months in Prison for Swedish Officer’s Murderer Sparks Anger
Success: Nvidia Turned Gaming Chips Into the Engine of the AI Boom
Jorge Messi, Lionel Messi’s Father and Longtime Agent, Dies at 68
AI’s Next Bottleneck Is Power, Not Just Nvidia Chips
×