Governor Rankin made the revelations during a press conference yesterday, July 1, 2022, alongside the Premier and Minister of Finance, Dr Hon Natalio D. Wheatley (R7).
Regarding filming, he said, “my understanding is that there was some consultation with the tourism board, but I don’t have the exact details of that.”
The Governor added, “Obviously, if any crimes were committed then that should be investigated properly but I’ve got no evidence to believe that is the case.”
Ahead of the disclosure by the Governor, BVI Tourist Board (BVITB) Director Clive McCoy in an interview with ZBVI Radio said the video has hampered the work the Tourism Board has done so far, and that his agency was preparing to counter any negative effects of the leaked video.
Calling the video ‘grotesque’, Mr McCoy added his team is now monitoring the international impact of the video.
Meanwhile, Premier Wheatley in a June 27, 2022, statement also called the video one that has unsettled many persons in the local and business community, because of its ‘highly distorted’ portrayal of the VI, which gives the impression that the island is an unsafe tourist destination infested with drugs and crime.
The Premier was quick to discredit the video and made it clear that its portrayal was not a true representation of the VI.