The church said the group will be honoured at the 17th Annual Service of Recognition for Virgin Islands Unsung Heroes which will be held on Sunday, February 28.
The recognition ceremony has been held annually since 2005, and according to the church, the 2021 honourees represent the largest cohort to be recognised in a single year.
The church also said all 20 selected honourees for this year were chosen for their acts of service related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
This year’s honourees have been broken into five categories:
1. The Frontline Honourees — representing those who were first tasked with measures and procedures to stop the virus from widely spreading throughout the Virgin Islands.
2. The Remedies for Reality Honourees — those who were tasked with assisting and providing for persons in need of groceries and other critical services during the lockdown periods.
3. The Onset and Management Honourees — who were tasked with managing the virus once confirmed cases were announced.
4. The Physical Defense and Border Protection Honourees — who were instrumental in maintaining the safety of residents and the security of our borders
5. The “New Regular” Honourees tasked with re-entry protocols, vaccinations and daily virus management.
The 2021 Honourees are:
* Honourable Andrew A. Fahie—Premier and Minister of Finance
* Honourable Carvin Malone—Minister of Health & Social Development
* Honourable Mark Vanterpool—Managing Director, One Mart Supermarket.
* Tashi O’Flaherty-Maduro—Private Secretary in the Minister of Health & Social Development
* Petrona Davies—Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Health and Social Development
* Adrianna Soverall—Acting Public Health Communication Specialist for the Ministry of Health
* Dr Irad Potter—Chief Medical Officer
* Asha Romney—Accounts Officer in the Ministry of Health & Social Development
* Dr Ronald E. Georges—Former CEO of BVIHSA and Acting Chief Medical Officer
* Lionel Michael—Chief Environmental Health Officer
* Harmonie Brewley-Messiah—National Epidemiologist
* Collette McGurdy—Laboratory Manager at the Dr D. Orlando Smith Hospital
* Jevaughn J. Parsons—Director of Taxi & Livery Commission (TLC)
* Jacinth Hannibal—Chief Nursing Officer
* Lynette Harrigan—Niche Marketing Manager at the BVI Tourist Board
* Felice Swapp—Chairman of Re-opening Steering Committee
* Edrick Hypolite—Clerical Officer, BVI Ports Authority
* Kedimone Rubaine—Private Secretary to the Deputy Governor
* Maudlyn Penn-Richards—Senior Immigration Officer and Ports Supervisor
* Wade Smith—Commissioner of Her Majesty’s Customs and Chairman of the Joint Task Force
The New Life Baptist said it has honoured 65 Virgin Islands Unsung Heroes to date
“This years’ service will see the return of the announcement of a surprise honouree chosen from within the New Life congregation,” the church said in a press release.
The public is invited to join the event which will start at 3 pm.