Beautiful Virgin Islands

Saturday, Aug 22, 2026

UPDATE: First cruise ship to return July 1

UPDATE: First cruise ship to return July 1

The British Virgins Islands is now confirmed to expect its first cruise ship call since the start of the pandemic in a week’s time.

BVI Ports Authority (BVIPA) made this announcement on Friday (June 25) after a press conference with Premier Andrew Fahie who indicated at the time that there was no set dates for the return of cruise ships.

But while that conference was happening, the BVIPA was in active talks with international cruise carriers.

“The British Virgin Islands Ports Authority will welcome the first cruise ship call to the Territory, the Celebrity Millennium of Royal Caribbean Group’s Celebrity Cruises, on 1 July 2021,” the BVIPA stated.

“The details of this call were being finalised at the time of the Premier’s press conference earlier today,” it added.

The BVIPA said Celebrity Millennium will be home-porting out of St Maarten and will be making calls to Tortola, St Lucia and Barbados.

In the meantime, the Premier indicated today there is still no final plan in place on how the BVI intends to receive cruise passengers into the territory.

Previous story: No date for next cruise call! Bubble protocols still a work in progress


After weeks of waiting, Premier Andrew Fahie disclosed that there is still no final plan in place on how the BVI intends to receive cruise passengers into the territory.

He noted that discussions are still ongoing as it relates to a protective ‘bubble’ at the territory’s cruise pier and at other local hot spots for tourists.

The BVI’s first cruise call in months was scheduled to happen on June 15, but this was cancelled abruptly after the cruise liner reported that there were concerns with passengers who had tested positive for COVID-19 following a stop at one of its intended ports.

At a press conference held earlier today, Premier Fahie told reporters discussions remain centred on increasing vaccinations in the territory.

He also said approved social distance measures are being tested to be implemented once cruise passengers finally come.

According to the Premier, the government will be coming to the public very soon on “how the passengers will be coming off the cruise ships and how they will be interacting with the people of the Virgin Islands.”

Fahie said the BVI Ports Authority in collaboration with the CB Romney Pier Tortola Park and the BVI Tourist Board have launched some initiatives in this regard and will be keeping the public informed through meetings.

When is the next cruise call?


Questioned about when the next cruise call should be expected in the BVI, Fahie did not have any dates to offer, even though there previously had been set dates for planned cruise calls.

He said more news on the issue should be forthcoming within the next week or two. He also emphasised that the previous cruise cancellation did not have anything to do with the BVI.

Earlier, the Premier said he welcomed news that the United Kingdom updated its categorisation of the BVI by including it on the green list for travel.

He also stated that the BVI’s tourism industry is opening up more and more daily.

Premier Fahie said bookings for land properties and charter boats continue to increase and visitors are returning in increasing numbers.

According to the Premier, this will provide much needed jobs across the spectrum of the tourism industry – from taxi and tour operators, to hotels and charter companies, as well as bars, restaurants and food vendors.

Newsletter

Related Articles

Beautiful Virgin Islands
0:00
0:00
Close
Petrol Bombs Set Luxury Cars Alight Outside Birmingham Wedding as Police Hunt Three Men
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
A Sleepless Night on Wall Street: Nasdaq to Begin Nearly Round-the-Clock Trading
"The First in the World": 69-Year-Old Protested Artificial Intelligence—and Went to Jail
Ukraine's Ousted Defence Minister Calls for Wartime Presidential Election
China’s Lifelike AI Humans Move From Livestreams Into Real-World Service Roles
Sarah Ferguson Reportedly Retreats to Late Ex-Boyfriend's Swiss Chalet
Cristiano Ronaldo and Georgina Rodríguez Sign Prenup Protecting Their Separate Fortunes
Thieves Steal Antonello da Messina Renaissance Masterpieces From Sicilian Museum
Better.com Founder Who Fired 900 Employees on Zoom Is Ousted as CEO
Italian Speed Camera Issues Nearly 32,000 Fines in 10 Weeks, Worth More Than €3 Million
AI Manager at San Francisco Store Recommends Firing Human Employee
Google Launches Pixel 11 With Gemini AI at the Center of Its Hardware Strategy
Reform UK Unveils Plan to Cut Welfare Spending by More Than £50 Billion a Year
Prime Minister Andy Burnham Praised Extinction Rebellion for Doing a 'Great Service'
UK Wildfire Phone Alert Triggers Backlash as Users Switch Off Emergency Warnings
Heathrow Roads Reopen After Burst Water Main Floods Access to Terminals 2 and 3
Former NBA Players Enes Kanter Freedom and Royce White Say They Will Enter 2027 WNBA Draft
Former Cambridge Professor Jason Arday Found Dead Days After Resigning Amid Plagiarism Row
US Appeals Court Rules AI Agent's Website Actions Are Legally Attributed to the User
France's Constitutional Council Blocks Social Media Ban for Children Under 15
Liechtenstein Changes Royal Succession Rules to Allow Women to Inherit the Throne
Women Allege Rape and Sexual Abuse at British Army College for Teenage Recruits
Minnesota: Two independent investigators posed as Muslims (one wearing a burqa) and showed how they could vote in elections without identification.
China’s Kimi Launches AI-Focused Credit Card With Agricultural Bank of China and American Express
Former Labour Adviser Arrested on Suspicion of Spying for China Held Privileged Access as Top Party Donor
Turkish Parliament Passes Landmark Bill Granting Conditional Amnesty to Disarmed PKK Members
Donald Trump Warns FIFA Against Ousting Gianni Infantino Amid Revolt by Global Football Leaders
Jeff Bezos Joins Investor Group Closing In on $6 Billion Liverpool FC Stake
UK Councils to Receive Sweeping Planning Powers to Ban New Vape and Betting Shops
Russia’s A7 Builds a State-Linked Payments Network Beyond Western Sanctions
Hyper-Realistic Reborn Dolls Draw Collectors Seeking Comfort and Craft
Gen Z Cuts Back on Dating as a Night Out Nears $200
Patients Turn to Artificial Intelligence for Therapy as Psychiatrists Warn of Privacy and Clinical Risks
Couples Embrace ‘Sleep Divorce’ to Protect Rest and Reduce Tension
Meta Ordered to Pay $567 Million and Change Facebook and Instagram Safeguards for Children
Up to only 10 Months in Prison for Swedish Officer’s Murderer Sparks Anger
Success: Nvidia Turned Gaming Chips Into the Engine of the AI Boom
Jorge Messi, Lionel Messi’s Father and Longtime Agent, Dies at 68
×