The late Stoutt served in a career that spanned some fifty-plus years in education and family members have described her career as ‘Service before self’.
The late former educator began her formal education at the St George’s School in Road Town and in 1948 she was enrolled in its Secondary Divison where she graduated in 1953. This was the year that the Secondary School became the BVI High School.
Stoutt joined the teaching profession in the mid-fifties, wrote the Teacher’s Exam and obtained a Leeward Islands Teacher’s Certificate.
In 1960, Stoutt was put to the test as she performed the dual role of secretary to the then Principal, Mr Carlise Scott and that of a teacher at the same institution.
From 1970-1971, Stoutt attended South Hampton School of Education in England where she upgraded her Modern Mathematics training. Five years after her return to the Virgin Islands, she was promoted to head of the Mathematics Department, a position she held for many years.
According to family members: “In the early seventies, the Students’ Council was constituted and Mrs Stoutt was one of the members of the Executive Body. One of their projects was the establishment of the 'Tuck Shop' which grew from a small refreshment centre to a canteen that provided nutritional meals for students at a minimal cost.”
It is our understanding that Mrs Stoutt retired in 1995, but she continued teaching until 2000. In 1997 she was assigned the role of Assistant Principal, with Pastoral duties, until 2000.
The year 2000 marked the official end of Mrs Stoutt’s stellar career as an educator in the VI educational system. She would continue to run the Tuck Shop until it closed its doors in 2008.
“Mrs Stoutt was also very active in her church. She was a part of the Episcopal Church Women's Group for two terms. She served on the Vestry, as a Sunday School Teacher, a reader and the Church Treasurer,“ relatives stated.