Beautiful Virgin Islands

Wednesday, Aug 19, 2026

Yates Construction director upset at Health Ministry’s treatment

Yates Construction director upset at Health Ministry’s treatment

A director of Yates & Associates Construction, the company at the centre of a recent COVID-19 spike, has expressed severe disappointment at the Health Ministry’s response to the plight of his workers.

More than two dozen positive cases were discovered at the company last weekend.

Chad Emanuel, one of three directors at Yates, said in a radio interview on ZBVI this week that he became upset after Chief Medical Officer, Dr Ronald Georges said in a government media release that the workers were accommodated in ‘barrack-style quarters‘.

He said he was further upset by subsequent postings on Facebook that berated the accommodations of the workers; suggesting that the workers were all sharing quarters.

But Emanuel said these allegations were entirely false.

“This is completely not true. We have guys sharing rooms,” he acknowledged, “[but] each room has a bathroom, kitchen and some of them have double beds,” he said.

“So it’s nothing about barracks-style — one communal kitchen, one communal bathroom — that’s untrue.”

And while insisting that the workers living arrangements did not contribute to the situation, Emanuel expressed that he could not say what was the origin of the virus at the worksite.

He said it was not the workers’ fault that they came into contact with the virus.

Poor response from Health Ministry


He expressed further dismay at what he said was the Health Ministry’s response and the actions of the Environmental Health Department.

The director said no worker from the Ministry of Health came to assess his positive workers’ well-being. Instead officers from the Environmental Health Department came and carried out inspections of the quarters.

The director questioned the approach and said he didn’t feel this was the order of how things were supposed to be done.

“I think the first idea is saving lives and keeping people comfortable in a situation like this, not make them uncomfortable [with] people walking through their rooms checking to see how they live instead of checking to see their vitals to see how they’re doing,” he added.

Emanuel said he did not feel this was the way to deal with lives.

The director further said he sent an email to the Health Ministry expressing his disappointment that the entire workforce — comprising well in excess of 100 persons — had been quarantined for a 21-day period.

Background to the accusations


In explaining the background of the events, Emanuel said the situation had been ongoing from September 17 when an initial case was first discovered.

He said since then, he reached out to the Ministry of Health in hopes of being able to assist with the situation. Emanuel said it was the duty of the company to do its best to protect the Virgin Gorda community.

Newsletter

Related Articles

Beautiful Virgin Islands
0:00
0:00
Close
China’s Lifelike AI Humans Move From Livestreams Into Real-World Service Roles
Sarah Ferguson Reportedly Retreats to Late Ex-Boyfriend's Swiss Chalet
Cristiano Ronaldo and Georgina Rodríguez Sign Prenup Protecting Their Separate Fortunes
Thieves Steal Antonello da Messina Renaissance Masterpieces From Sicilian Museum
Better.com Founder Who Fired 900 Employees on Zoom Is Ousted as CEO
Italian Speed Camera Issues Nearly 32,000 Fines in 10 Weeks, Worth More Than €3 Million
AI Manager at San Francisco Store Recommends Firing Human Employee
Google Launches Pixel 11 With Gemini AI at the Center of Its Hardware Strategy
Reform UK Unveils Plan to Cut Welfare Spending by More Than £50 Billion a Year
Prime Minister Andy Burnham Praised Extinction Rebellion for Doing a 'Great Service'
UK Wildfire Phone Alert Triggers Backlash as Users Switch Off Emergency Warnings
Heathrow Roads Reopen After Burst Water Main Floods Access to Terminals 2 and 3
Former NBA Players Enes Kanter Freedom and Royce White Say They Will Enter 2027 WNBA Draft
Former Cambridge Professor Jason Arday Found Dead Days After Resigning Amid Plagiarism Row
US Appeals Court Rules AI Agent's Website Actions Are Legally Attributed to the User
France's Constitutional Council Blocks Social Media Ban for Children Under 15
Liechtenstein Changes Royal Succession Rules to Allow Women to Inherit the Throne
Women Allege Rape and Sexual Abuse at British Army College for Teenage Recruits
Minnesota: Two independent investigators posed as Muslims (one wearing a burqa) and showed how they could vote in elections without identification.
China’s Kimi Launches AI-Focused Credit Card With Agricultural Bank of China and American Express
Former Labour Adviser Arrested on Suspicion of Spying for China Held Privileged Access as Top Party Donor
Turkish Parliament Passes Landmark Bill Granting Conditional Amnesty to Disarmed PKK Members
Donald Trump Warns FIFA Against Ousting Gianni Infantino Amid Revolt by Global Football Leaders
Jeff Bezos Joins Investor Group Closing In on $6 Billion Liverpool FC Stake
UK Councils to Receive Sweeping Planning Powers to Ban New Vape and Betting Shops
Russia’s A7 Builds a State-Linked Payments Network Beyond Western Sanctions
Hyper-Realistic Reborn Dolls Draw Collectors Seeking Comfort and Craft
Gen Z Cuts Back on Dating as a Night Out Nears $200
Patients Turn to Artificial Intelligence for Therapy as Psychiatrists Warn of Privacy and Clinical Risks
Couples Embrace ‘Sleep Divorce’ to Protect Rest and Reduce Tension
Meta Ordered to Pay $567 Million and Change Facebook and Instagram Safeguards for Children
Up to only 10 Months in Prison for Swedish Officer’s Murderer Sparks Anger
Success: Nvidia Turned Gaming Chips Into the Engine of the AI Boom
Jorge Messi, Lionel Messi’s Father and Longtime Agent, Dies at 68
AI’s Next Bottleneck Is Power, Not Just Nvidia Chips
Advertising trick: Pepsi’s Harrier Jet Commercial Led to a $700,000 Court Fight
Meta Raises AI Spending Target to as Much as $145bn Despite Pressure Over Returns
Danube Drought Exposes Nazi Wrecks and Pushes Central Europe’s Power System to the Brink
Joe Biden’s Cancer Has Spread Beyond His Bones, Hunter Biden Says
Air Traffic Control Outage Grounded Flights Across the Midwest
Why 2027 Could Be a Strong Year for Stocks—and Why the Forecast Is Fragile
Why Markets May Look Quiet in August After Big Tech Earnings
Australian Crew Evacuates Seriously Ill American From Antarctica in Midwinter Darkness
Trump’s Top General Seeks an Exit Strategy From Iran War, Report Says
Brock Lesnar Retires From Wrestling, Closing a Career of Rare Athletic Range and Lasting Controversy
Trump-Era Policy Shifts Test the Boundaries of U.S. Institutions
UK Drought Cuts Harvests and Raises Food-Security Fears
UFO: Pentagon Releases Video of Unidentified Object Tracked Over Middle East
US Health Secretary: “I’m Not Afraid of Germs — I Used to Snort Cocaine Off Toilet Seats”
Ukraine Tells Senate Republicans Its Drone War Offers a Blueprint for America
×