Beautiful Virgin Islands

Saturday, Aug 22, 2026

Flustered CoI orders investigation into leaked position statement to VINO

Flustered CoI orders investigation into leaked position statement to VINO

The Commission of Inquiry (CoI) into governance paused its questioning of witnesses this afternoon, June 16, 2021, to turn its attention to Virgin Islands News Online’s (VINO) article published today with the headline: ‘CoI document reveals ‘turf war’ between Ex-Governor Jaspert & VI Gov’t’.

The apparently flustered Commission vehemently denied that it was responsible for the leak, saying its inquiries with the CoI team during its short lunch break was satisfactory, but has pointed fingers to others and has ordered that the Attorney General provides some answers by 9:00am tomorrow, June 17, 2021.

The CoI specifically took issue with the portion of the article that said the document was shared with our newsroom by senior sources within the Commission of Inquiry (CoI).

Leaked document


The article on the leaked document had revealed that Ministers, in their position statement on governance, were of the view that ex-Governor Augustus J. U. Jaspert fought against the Virgin Islands Government’s agenda aimed at achieving greater autonomy and self-government for the Virgin Islands.

It had also accused Jaspert of breaching the Virgin Islands Constitution and that the United Kingdom (UK) did nothing to intervene despite being informed of Jaspert’s alleged actions.

The revelations further lend to assertions that the CoI was only called because Mr Jaspert was aggrieved he was unable to get his way with the elected government of Premier Andrew A. Fahie (R1).

Counsel to the Commission, Mr Bilal Rawat, who is being accused of operating illegally in the VI in his capacity with the Commission, raised the matter with the Commission, stating that the 33-page position statement was filed and served with the CoI on behalf of elected Ministers on June 1, 2021.

Rawat claimed that prior to that date the document had been shared by 2 members of the House of Assembly (HoA) who are represented by Silk Legal.

“It has not yet been published by the CoI, save for one exception…it has not otherwise been provided to any other participant or individual or body. What has occurred and this was with the agreement of the Attorney General, was that you directed that the position statement be shared with the Governor’s Office.”

Bilal said this was because the content of the position statement raised issues that firstly required obtaining further disclosure from the elected ministers, but also putting those who were the subject of their criticism on notice of the content of the document.

“All those who received documents from the CoI in the accepted manner are bound by a duty of confidentiality to you as Commissioner. In so far as it needs to be that has been made explicit in the CoI rules but it is in anyway a convention by which all legal representatives are used to operating in any forum.”

The Commission of Inquiry has vehemently denied that it was responsible for the leaked document, saying its inquiries with the CoI team during its short lunch break was satisfactory.


It wasn’t me! - CoI


Noting that himself and the Commissioner have discussed the contents of the article, and its position statement emanating from senior sources within the Commission of Inquiry, Bilal said: “If I may clear, leaving yourself aside, commissioner, the CoI team here numbers 5 people, including myself. Inquiries, therefore, have been made of all members over the lunchtime adjournment and I am satisfied and Commissioner I believe you are also satisfied that this document did not emanate from within the CoI or indeed any source; however, senior or junior.”

Commissioner Gary R. Hickinbottom said he wanted to make it clear that the substance of the leaked document will be the subject of the CoI.

“In the document, the Ministers make serious allegations that Governor Jaspert and the United Kingdom Government have acted improperly, unconstitutionally, and illegally in the sense they have acted against international law in respect to matters of governance.

“Contrary to speculation in the media and indeed by some of the participants in this inquiry of course I will investigate such criticisms, but the criticisms that have been made have to be investigated in the proper way.”

The revelations of the leaked position statement by Ministers further lend to assertions that the Commission of Inquiry (CoI) was only called because ex-governor Augustus J. U. Jaspert, left, was aggrieved he was unable to get his way with the elected government of Premier Andrew A. Fahie (R1), right.


AG & Ministers fine with document being published as is


The Commissioner noted that the Attorney General and the seven ministers who have signed the position statement have confirmed that they have no redactions that they would wish to make prior to its publication.

“I stress that this document will be published with any appropriate redactions as soon as I have received submissions in respect of what redactions that need to be made. The position statement contains various personal information which the Attorney General has a duty to protect as do I as Commissioner.”

Hickinbottom also claimed that the leaked document contains information that the Attorney General has said may be confidential “and she has indicated that those who may have the benefit of that confidence include the Governor and the United Kingdom Government.”

He said that is why “I have directed that the position statement and its appendices be sent to the Governor’s Office so that he may make any submission that he wishes to make in respect of redactions, both of personal data and other confidential information that he considers should be made prior to a determination by me and then publication of this document.

Hickinbottom also said he has directed the Attorney General for legal submissions on the criticisms made; however, he is yet to receive them.

CoI clears itself during ‘short lunch break’!


Meanwhile, Hickinbottom said during the lunch adjournment he and Rawat caused inquiries to be made of the small CoI team here.

“They were relatively easy inquiries to make because the entire team, save for the secretary who is working literally next door, are here in the hearing room.

“I have received comfort as have you that the leak did not emanate from anyone in this team. To that extent, this article is simply wrong. But that means that the leak must have come from somewhere else and it must have come from someone who owes a duty of confidence to me as Commissioner in this Inquiry. I take that extremely seriously.”

AG ordered to provide answers


Hickinbottom then directed that the Attorney General and the Governor’s Office write to him by 9:00am tomorrow, June 17, 2021, with the list of every single person who has had access to the document and identify inquiries that they have made to ascertain who may have leaked the document.

“I will, once I have received those letters, make any further inquiries that I consider appropriate, but this Commission of Inquiry will be conducted on the basis of proper confidentiality with all of the participants and all of those who are engaged in this process complying with their obligations of confidentiality to the full. This inquiry simply can’t be conducted under any other basis.”

Hickinbottom said an order will follow later today.

“The direction of course will include any individuals who have had access to it, have disclosed information. It will in that sense have a waterfall effect,” Hickinbottom said.

IS CoI hypocritical or trying to intimidate media?


Persons speaking to this newsroom on condition of anonymity said the CoI is wasting time with trying to find out who leaked the document as most of what was revealed were already public knowledge and that the Commissioner has already claimed he is committed to transparency but is yet still trying to hide public documents.

Further, some speculated that the CoI may just be seeking to intimidate the media, particularly Virgin Islands News Online, which has been exposing the CoI as possibly flawed, hypocritical and imperialist.

Newsletter

Related Articles

Beautiful Virgin Islands
0:00
0:00
Close
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
A Sleepless Night on Wall Street: Nasdaq to Begin Nearly Round-the-Clock Trading
"The First in the World": 69-Year-Old Protested Artificial Intelligence—and Went to Jail
Ukraine's Ousted Defence Minister Calls for Wartime Presidential Election
China’s Lifelike AI Humans Move From Livestreams Into Real-World Service Roles
Sarah Ferguson Reportedly Retreats to Late Ex-Boyfriend's Swiss Chalet
Cristiano Ronaldo and Georgina Rodríguez Sign Prenup Protecting Their Separate Fortunes
Thieves Steal Antonello da Messina Renaissance Masterpieces From Sicilian Museum
Better.com Founder Who Fired 900 Employees on Zoom Is Ousted as CEO
Italian Speed Camera Issues Nearly 32,000 Fines in 10 Weeks, Worth More Than €3 Million
AI Manager at San Francisco Store Recommends Firing Human Employee
Google Launches Pixel 11 With Gemini AI at the Center of Its Hardware Strategy
Reform UK Unveils Plan to Cut Welfare Spending by More Than £50 Billion a Year
Prime Minister Andy Burnham Praised Extinction Rebellion for Doing a 'Great Service'
UK Wildfire Phone Alert Triggers Backlash as Users Switch Off Emergency Warnings
Heathrow Roads Reopen After Burst Water Main Floods Access to Terminals 2 and 3
Former NBA Players Enes Kanter Freedom and Royce White Say They Will Enter 2027 WNBA Draft
Former Cambridge Professor Jason Arday Found Dead Days After Resigning Amid Plagiarism Row
US Appeals Court Rules AI Agent's Website Actions Are Legally Attributed to the User
France's Constitutional Council Blocks Social Media Ban for Children Under 15
Liechtenstein Changes Royal Succession Rules to Allow Women to Inherit the Throne
Women Allege Rape and Sexual Abuse at British Army College for Teenage Recruits
Minnesota: Two independent investigators posed as Muslims (one wearing a burqa) and showed how they could vote in elections without identification.
China’s Kimi Launches AI-Focused Credit Card With Agricultural Bank of China and American Express
Former Labour Adviser Arrested on Suspicion of Spying for China Held Privileged Access as Top Party Donor
Turkish Parliament Passes Landmark Bill Granting Conditional Amnesty to Disarmed PKK Members
Donald Trump Warns FIFA Against Ousting Gianni Infantino Amid Revolt by Global Football Leaders
Jeff Bezos Joins Investor Group Closing In on $6 Billion Liverpool FC Stake
UK Councils to Receive Sweeping Planning Powers to Ban New Vape and Betting Shops
Russia’s A7 Builds a State-Linked Payments Network Beyond Western Sanctions
Hyper-Realistic Reborn Dolls Draw Collectors Seeking Comfort and Craft
Gen Z Cuts Back on Dating as a Night Out Nears $200
Patients Turn to Artificial Intelligence for Therapy as Psychiatrists Warn of Privacy and Clinical Risks
Couples Embrace ‘Sleep Divorce’ to Protect Rest and Reduce Tension
Meta Ordered to Pay $567 Million and Change Facebook and Instagram Safeguards for Children
Up to only 10 Months in Prison for Swedish Officer’s Murderer Sparks Anger
Success: Nvidia Turned Gaming Chips Into the Engine of the AI Boom
Jorge Messi, Lionel Messi’s Father and Longtime Agent, Dies at 68
AI’s Next Bottleneck Is Power, Not Just Nvidia Chips
×