Beautiful Virgin Islands

Tuesday, Aug 18, 2026

Block on Scottish gender reforms to be challenged in court

Block on Scottish gender reforms to be challenged in court

The Scottish government is to launch a legal challenge to Westminster's block on its controversial gender reforms.

The proposals, which would allow people in Scotland to self-identify their sex, were passed by the Scottish Parliament in December last year.

But they were blocked by the UK government over their potential impact on UK-wide equality laws.

First Minister Humza Yousaf has previously described that move as an "undemocratic veto".

He was the only one of the three candidates in the SNP leadership contest who backed taking legal action in an attempt to overturn the block.

His predecessor, Nicola Sturgeon, had described the block as a "full-frontal attack on our democratically-elected Scottish Parliament" and said that legal action was inevitable.

Shirley-Anne Somerville, Scotland's social justice secretary, said the Gender Recognition Reform (Scotland) Bill had been passed by an "overwhelming majority of the Scottish Parliament, with support from members of all parties".

She said the block by the UK government was an "unprecedented challenge to the Scottish Parliament's ability to legislate on clearly devolved matters".

Ms Somerville added: "To uphold the democratic decision of the parliament, and ensure proper protection of devolution, Scottish ministers will now lodge a petition for judicial review of the secretary of state's decision.

She is expected to make a statement to the Scottish Parliament after the Easter break setting out details of her plans for a court challenge.

First Minister Humza Yousaf has described the block as undemocratic


Prime Minister Rishi Sunak defended the UK government's decision to block the gender recognition reforms, saying it had been based on "very careful and considered advice".

He added: "We had concerns about how Scotland's gender recognition act would interact with reserved powers, about the operation of the Equalities Act, the protection of women elsewhere in the UK as well.

"Obviously there's a court process, we will follow that through."

The gender reforms have been divisive within the SNP, with another of the leadership candidates, Ash Regan, resigning from the government last year over her fears about their impact on safeguards for women and girls.

A recent opinion poll by Panelbase for the Sunday Times suggested that 18% of Scottish voters think Mr Yousaf should launch a legal challenge, while 44% said that he should abandon the reforms and 24% believed a compromise should be found with the UK government.

Shortly after the reforms were passed, double rapist Isla Bryson - who changed gender after being arrested for attacking two women - was remanded to a women's jail.

Bryson was subsequently moved to a male prison after the case sparked widespread anger. Ministers insisted the new legislation had no impact on the decision about where Bryson was held.

Scottish Conservative deputy leader Meghan Gallacher claimed that the legal challenge was a "painfully transparent attempt by Humza Yousaf to divert attention from the civil war engulfing the SNP and the huge question marks over the party's finances".

But the Scottish Greens, who have a power sharing agreement with the SNP, said the move was "vital for equality and democracy".

Mr Yousaf has previously said he would only launch a court challenge to the UK government's block if he was given legal advice that it stood a chance of succeeding.

But former Supreme Court judge Lord Hope has said the Scottish government's chances of winning a court case are "very low".

The former deputy president of the Supreme Court said the Scottish legislation "most certainly does" impact on the Equality Act 2010 and the existing Gender Recognition Act 2004, which currently apply across Great Britain.

And he said it was difficult to see how a court would not agree that Scottish Secretary Alister Jack had "acted reasonably" in blocking the reforms through the use of a Section 35 order.

The Scottish secretary is able to use a Section 35 to block legislation passed by Holyrood if he believes it would have a detrimental impact on areas that are reserved to Westminster.

It is the first time a Section 35 has been used since the Scottish Parliament was created in 1999.

Former SNP minister Alex Neil told BBC Scotland earlier on Wednesday that "every lawyer I have spoken to has told me we don't have a cat in hell's chance of winning" a legal battle.

He said Mr Yousaf should instead focus on reintroducing the legislation after its "deficiencies" had been addressed.

Opponents of the gender reforms are concerned about their potential impact on single-sex spaces and other protections for women and girls


Susan Smith, co-director of the For Women Scotland group - which opposes the gender self-identification reforms - said Mr Yousaf was "remarkably foolish" to take legal action over legislation that is "wildly unpopular".

She added: "It is widely predicted that they will lose, so it seems like an incredible waste of everybody's time and money to go through this when there are other really pressing matters".

However, the announcement of a legal challenge was welcomed by Vic Valentine, the manager of Scottish Trans, who said the UK government's block was "unacceptable".

They added: "Other countries all over the world have introduced similar laws, with the only impact being a positive one."

Colin Macfarlane, the director of nations at Stonewall, said the UK government's "unprecedented" block had "made clear that they see trans people as a threat to be contained rather than people to be treated with dignity and respect".

The reforms are intended to make it easier for people to change their legally-recognised sex by doing away with the need for a medical diagnosis of gender dysphoria - a sense of unease that a person may have because of a mismatch between their biological sex and their gender identity.

Applicants for a gender recognition certificate would need to have lived in their acquired gender for three months rather than the current two years.

And the minimum age that someone can apply to change their sex will be cut from 18 to 16 - although 16 and 17-year-olds would need to have lived as their acquired gender for six months rather than three.

Newsletter

Related Articles

Beautiful Virgin Islands
0:00
0:00
Close
China’s Lifelike AI Humans Move From Livestreams Into Real-World Service Roles
Sarah Ferguson Reportedly Retreats to Late Ex-Boyfriend's Swiss Chalet
Cristiano Ronaldo and Georgina Rodríguez Sign Prenup Protecting Their Separate Fortunes
Thieves Steal Antonello da Messina Renaissance Masterpieces From Sicilian Museum
Better.com Founder Who Fired 900 Employees on Zoom Is Ousted as CEO
Italian Speed Camera Issues Nearly 32,000 Fines in 10 Weeks, Worth More Than €3 Million
AI Manager at San Francisco Store Recommends Firing Human Employee
Google Launches Pixel 11 With Gemini AI at the Center of Its Hardware Strategy
Reform UK Unveils Plan to Cut Welfare Spending by More Than £50 Billion a Year
Prime Minister Andy Burnham Praised Extinction Rebellion for Doing a 'Great Service'
UK Wildfire Phone Alert Triggers Backlash as Users Switch Off Emergency Warnings
Heathrow Roads Reopen After Burst Water Main Floods Access to Terminals 2 and 3
Former NBA Players Enes Kanter Freedom and Royce White Say They Will Enter 2027 WNBA Draft
Former Cambridge Professor Jason Arday Found Dead Days After Resigning Amid Plagiarism Row
US Appeals Court Rules AI Agent's Website Actions Are Legally Attributed to the User
France's Constitutional Council Blocks Social Media Ban for Children Under 15
Liechtenstein Changes Royal Succession Rules to Allow Women to Inherit the Throne
Women Allege Rape and Sexual Abuse at British Army College for Teenage Recruits
Minnesota: Two independent investigators posed as Muslims (one wearing a burqa) and showed how they could vote in elections without identification.
China’s Kimi Launches AI-Focused Credit Card With Agricultural Bank of China and American Express
Former Labour Adviser Arrested on Suspicion of Spying for China Held Privileged Access as Top Party Donor
Turkish Parliament Passes Landmark Bill Granting Conditional Amnesty to Disarmed PKK Members
Donald Trump Warns FIFA Against Ousting Gianni Infantino Amid Revolt by Global Football Leaders
Jeff Bezos Joins Investor Group Closing In on $6 Billion Liverpool FC Stake
UK Councils to Receive Sweeping Planning Powers to Ban New Vape and Betting Shops
Russia’s A7 Builds a State-Linked Payments Network Beyond Western Sanctions
Hyper-Realistic Reborn Dolls Draw Collectors Seeking Comfort and Craft
Gen Z Cuts Back on Dating as a Night Out Nears $200
Patients Turn to Artificial Intelligence for Therapy as Psychiatrists Warn of Privacy and Clinical Risks
Couples Embrace ‘Sleep Divorce’ to Protect Rest and Reduce Tension
Meta Ordered to Pay $567 Million and Change Facebook and Instagram Safeguards for Children
Up to only 10 Months in Prison for Swedish Officer’s Murderer Sparks Anger
Success: Nvidia Turned Gaming Chips Into the Engine of the AI Boom
Jorge Messi, Lionel Messi’s Father and Longtime Agent, Dies at 68
AI’s Next Bottleneck Is Power, Not Just Nvidia Chips
Advertising trick: Pepsi’s Harrier Jet Commercial Led to a $700,000 Court Fight
Meta Raises AI Spending Target to as Much as $145bn Despite Pressure Over Returns
Danube Drought Exposes Nazi Wrecks and Pushes Central Europe’s Power System to the Brink
Joe Biden’s Cancer Has Spread Beyond His Bones, Hunter Biden Says
Air Traffic Control Outage Grounded Flights Across the Midwest
Why 2027 Could Be a Strong Year for Stocks—and Why the Forecast Is Fragile
Why Markets May Look Quiet in August After Big Tech Earnings
Australian Crew Evacuates Seriously Ill American From Antarctica in Midwinter Darkness
Trump’s Top General Seeks an Exit Strategy From Iran War, Report Says
Brock Lesnar Retires From Wrestling, Closing a Career of Rare Athletic Range and Lasting Controversy
Trump-Era Policy Shifts Test the Boundaries of U.S. Institutions
UK Drought Cuts Harvests and Raises Food-Security Fears
UFO: Pentagon Releases Video of Unidentified Object Tracked Over Middle East
US Health Secretary: “I’m Not Afraid of Germs — I Used to Snort Cocaine Off Toilet Seats”
Ukraine Tells Senate Republicans Its Drone War Offers a Blueprint for America
×