Beautiful Virgin Islands

Saturday, Aug 22, 2026

As coronavirus epidemic eases in China, life is slowly returning to normal

Workers are gradually getting back to their jobs, stranded Hubei residents are going home and at last there is some relief for medical staff on the front line. While other countries battle the pandemic, there are signs in mainland China that the worst is over

After nearly two months of lockdowns, strict quarantine rules and travel restrictions, life is slowly returning to normal in China as the coronavirus outbreak – which has infected more than 80,000 people and claimed more than 3,100 lives in the country – starts to wind down.

Workers are gradually returning to their jobs and there is at last relief for medical staff on the front line, as the number of new patients falls and the condition of others improves.

Schools, factories, public spaces and tourism destinations are starting to reopen. In northwestern Qinghai province, which mostly sits on the Tibetan plateau, China’s first batch of 144 high schools and secondary vocational schools reopened on Monday, while tourism sites in Yunnan, Sichuan and Guizhou provinces gradually resumed operations from this week.

The easing of some travel restrictions has also meant a homecoming for some residents of Hubei province – where the new coronavirus emerged – who have been stranded for weeks. One of them is Wu Haijian, who arrived home on Wednesday after a long drive from the southwestern province of Yunnan.

Every year, the 36-year-old beekeeper travels to Yunnan at the end of November to breed honey bees, returning in early March when the countryside surrounding his hometown is carpeted with yellow fields of rapeseed flowers.

But this year was different, as the province of nearly 60 million people was locked down at the end of January because of the new coronavirus.

Wu and his friends, who were also stuck in Yunnan, started calling the local authorities, asking to be allowed to return to Hubei from March 1.

“We made phone calls every day, so much so that they [local officials] did not pick up their phones when they saw our numbers,” he said.

Approval was finally granted on Monday and Wu – armed with a health certificate from Yunnan and an acceptance letter provided by the authorities in Hubei – set off in his truck loaded with more than 150 beehives that evening.

“I feel much better. Finally, I’m back home,” he said.

The delay cost him 30,000 yuan (US$4,300) as one-tenth of his bees were poisoned with pesticide – something he has avoided before by returning to Hubei when Yunnan’s farmers begin spraying their rapeseed fields.



Also on Wednesday, Wang Faji, a migrant worker in Guangzhou, took a bus to the southern metropolis from his hometown in Guizhou, a poverty-stricken area in southwest China.

The 26-year-old construction worker has been working away from his home village for the past four years, returning once a year for the Lunar New Year holiday and heading back to work 15 days later after Lantern Festival, the final day of the traditional new year celebrations.

This year, because of the coronavirus epidemic, Wang stayed at home for an extra month with nothing to do and no income. While there he did only two things – look up information about work in Guangzhou and the quarantine measures in his hometown, and chase his former boss for 4,800 yuan in unpaid salary owed to him from two years ago.

“The epidemic has affected my life but not severely. My only hope is to ask for my salary back,” he said.

Although he lost out on a month’s pay, he said it was “acceptable” and praised the government’s job in quickly controlling the spread of the virus. “I’m impressed by the government’s quick actions on this,” he said.

Meng Yuecui, 51, who has worked as a cleaner in Beijing for more than a decade, said people in the service industry, especially restaurant owners, had been “deeply affected” by the outbreak.

Meng said she was lucky enough to continue getting paid by her employer while quarantined in her hometown in the northern province of Hebei, waiting for the easing of restrictions and the notices that people could return to work.

Some of her friends in the cleaning industry were less fortunate and had lost their jobs during the weeks of quarantine, she said.
“In our industry, it’s very common to look for jobs frequently.”

Wang and Meng are among China’s 173 million migrant workers who relocate from rural areas to work in the larger cities. As an increasing number of cities – including some in Hubei – lift restrictions and allow some firms to resume work, local governments in China’s east coast manufacturing hubs have chartered buses, trains and flights to bring them back.

Despite measures to help migrant workers return to the reopening factories, about half of them had not yet done so, Wei Baigang, an official with the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs said on Tuesday.

Official data shows China’s factory activity contracted in February because of the outbreak. The official purchasing managers’ index for the manufacturing sector fell to a record low of 35.7 in February, down 14.3 points from January.

But there are encouraging signs that life is gradually returning to normal, at a time when other countries are implementing their own measures to try to contain the spread of the virus which has been labelled a pandemic by the World Health Organisation.
On Tuesday, Chinese President Xi Jinping made his first visit to Wuhan, Hubei’s capital, since the coronavirus outbreak began there more than two months ago. It was a signal that China has largely won the fight against the epidemic.



On Wednesday, the Hubei government issued a notice asking companies to resume operations in an orderly manner, although residents are still restricted from leaving the province. Hubei has been divided into three categories – with regions classified as high, middle and low risk.

Companies in low-risk regions can gradually resume business, while in high-risk areas, companies involved in epidemic prevention and control, public services and supply of daily necessities are allowed to reopen.

For the medical staff who have been fighting the virus in Wuhan, these are welcome signs that the day they can return to their own homes is approaching.

Tian Xi, 33, a volunteer with the China Biodiversity Conservation and Green Development Foundation in Beijing, went to Wuhan on the first day of the Lunar New Year – two days after the city went into lockdown.

He has been helping organisations deliver medical supplies to hospitals – five times a day during the peak of the epidemic – as well as sending patients and doctors to hospitals and delivering masks to residents. In the past weeks he has seen despairing people jump from a bridge in front of him and dead patients lying for hours in hospitals, with no one to handle them.

“The situation in the past week has obviously been better as we have received fewer requests for help,” Tian said. “Now the battle has gone to the second half and I hope it can end soon.”

Mary Li, a 32-year-old nurse from Nanjing, capital city of eastern China’s Jiangsu province, has been working in Wuhan for almost a month. She and her colleagues take care of 70 beds in the Wuhan No 1 Hospital, changing shifts every four hours.

Before going into the intensive care units, they have put on full protective gear – hats, masks, goggles and covers for their shoes. For the first few days, they had trouble breathing and the masks carved deep cuts into their faces.

But things are getting better. As of Tuesday, 32 patients had been discharged from Li’s hospital, while some critically ill patients no longer needed ventilators and their appetites were improving.

“When they are discharged, it’s closer to the time for us to finally return home,” she said.

Newsletter

Related Articles

Beautiful Virgin Islands
0:00
0:00
Close
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
A Sleepless Night on Wall Street: Nasdaq to Begin Nearly Round-the-Clock Trading
"The First in the World": 69-Year-Old Protested Artificial Intelligence—and Went to Jail
Ukraine's Ousted Defence Minister Calls for Wartime Presidential Election
China’s Lifelike AI Humans Move From Livestreams Into Real-World Service Roles
Sarah Ferguson Reportedly Retreats to Late Ex-Boyfriend's Swiss Chalet
Cristiano Ronaldo and Georgina Rodríguez Sign Prenup Protecting Their Separate Fortunes
Thieves Steal Antonello da Messina Renaissance Masterpieces From Sicilian Museum
Better.com Founder Who Fired 900 Employees on Zoom Is Ousted as CEO
Italian Speed Camera Issues Nearly 32,000 Fines in 10 Weeks, Worth More Than €3 Million
AI Manager at San Francisco Store Recommends Firing Human Employee
Google Launches Pixel 11 With Gemini AI at the Center of Its Hardware Strategy
Reform UK Unveils Plan to Cut Welfare Spending by More Than £50 Billion a Year
Prime Minister Andy Burnham Praised Extinction Rebellion for Doing a 'Great Service'
UK Wildfire Phone Alert Triggers Backlash as Users Switch Off Emergency Warnings
Heathrow Roads Reopen After Burst Water Main Floods Access to Terminals 2 and 3
Former NBA Players Enes Kanter Freedom and Royce White Say They Will Enter 2027 WNBA Draft
Former Cambridge Professor Jason Arday Found Dead Days After Resigning Amid Plagiarism Row
US Appeals Court Rules AI Agent's Website Actions Are Legally Attributed to the User
France's Constitutional Council Blocks Social Media Ban for Children Under 15
Liechtenstein Changes Royal Succession Rules to Allow Women to Inherit the Throne
Women Allege Rape and Sexual Abuse at British Army College for Teenage Recruits
Minnesota: Two independent investigators posed as Muslims (one wearing a burqa) and showed how they could vote in elections without identification.
China’s Kimi Launches AI-Focused Credit Card With Agricultural Bank of China and American Express
Former Labour Adviser Arrested on Suspicion of Spying for China Held Privileged Access as Top Party Donor
Turkish Parliament Passes Landmark Bill Granting Conditional Amnesty to Disarmed PKK Members
Donald Trump Warns FIFA Against Ousting Gianni Infantino Amid Revolt by Global Football Leaders
Jeff Bezos Joins Investor Group Closing In on $6 Billion Liverpool FC Stake
UK Councils to Receive Sweeping Planning Powers to Ban New Vape and Betting Shops
Russia’s A7 Builds a State-Linked Payments Network Beyond Western Sanctions
Hyper-Realistic Reborn Dolls Draw Collectors Seeking Comfort and Craft
Gen Z Cuts Back on Dating as a Night Out Nears $200
Patients Turn to Artificial Intelligence for Therapy as Psychiatrists Warn of Privacy and Clinical Risks
Couples Embrace ‘Sleep Divorce’ to Protect Rest and Reduce Tension
Meta Ordered to Pay $567 Million and Change Facebook and Instagram Safeguards for Children
Up to only 10 Months in Prison for Swedish Officer’s Murderer Sparks Anger
Success: Nvidia Turned Gaming Chips Into the Engine of the AI Boom
Jorge Messi, Lionel Messi’s Father and Longtime Agent, Dies at 68
AI’s Next Bottleneck Is Power, Not Just Nvidia Chips
×