Beautiful Virgin Islands

Friday, Aug 21, 2026

Coronavirus: South African communities are buckling under COVID-19 'storm'

Some thought South Africa would be spared the worst of the pandemic, but the virus is spreading rapidly through townships.

Funerals in South Africa are grand events that require time and money to organise - plenty of which could be seen as we pulled up to the Shweme Zilamkhonto funeral parlour in Port Elizabeth.

On the forecourt, workmen were cutting and polishing tombstones, while a fleet of sporty-looking funeral wagons were loaded up with bodies out the back.

I watched the funeral director's employees - dressed in full biohazard suits - as they placed one plastic-wrapped coffin in the back of a Ferrari-red hearse.

The coffin was then taken to a windswept cemetery in the township of Motherwell, which sits and sprawls on the outskirts of Port Elizabeth, and I witnessed the men in protective suits deposit the box in a freshly-dug hole.

A small group watched on from a distance as a man called Diamond told me they were saying farewell to a 58-year old woman called Joyce Moni.

There was no music, prayers or fellowship to honour this mother-of-four, and the men standing in the group of onlookers were too scared to approach the grave site.

I asked the director of the funeral parlour, Mandla Herdashe, if he could explain.

He said: "The people are so afraid of the virus, they are discriminating [against] their own, you know.

"When you pay last respects, you get to close the hole, you throw a piece of soil, but with this pandemic nothing of the sort happens, it is very sad."

There were some who thought South Africa would be spared the worst of the global pandemic, but the virus has taken root, spreading rapidly through the country's densely populated townships.

In fact, South Africa has become the world's fourth-largest source of daily cases of COVID-19, with health minister Dr Zweli Mkhize simultaneously warning of a "coming storm" and a serious shortage of essentials like hospital beds and compressed oxygen.

Port Elizabeth is the largest city in the Eastern Cape province and it has become clear that the community's poorly managed health system has begun to buckle.

At Motherwell Hospital, residents told us they started queuing at 2am for coronavirus tests and medication for long-term illnesses. It was here that people bunched up and fought with each other when staff began to let them through the gate.

Any thought of social distancing was abandoned in the rush for treatment.

I spoke to one elderly man who had been caught up in the commotion.

He said: "This is terrible, sick people are getting sicker, some are dying on their legs now. It's hurting me, it's hurting, what are our people doing about this?"

Despite having months to plan for outbreaks, authorities are struggling in the Eastern Cape. Staff at the region's largest COVID-19 treatment centre, Livingstone Hospital, described crippling staff shortages caused by sickness.

The facility is poorly kept with medical waste spilling out of storerooms and grime-covered beds cluttering the corridors.

The lack of space in the critical care wards means dedicated physicians like Dr Tobisa Fodo have to make agonising decisions about who receives treatment.

"It is heartbreaking in the sense that you end up - you and your team - having to say no to somebody's mother, somebody's grandmother, somebody's father, somebody's uncle," he said.

When I asked him about a rough number of rejections, he added: "We will accept around about 25% of the referrals so maybe the other 75% are not going to get a bed."

Jane Cowley, a dynamic opposition parliamentarian for the Democratic Alliance party, took us to a former Volkswagen car factory in Port Elizabeth which has been transformed into an impressive-looking field hospital with 1,400 beds.

With support and funding from Volkswagen and the German government, this facility was created in just seven weeks -but Ms Cowley pointed out that the recruitment campaign to staff it had only begun at the end of June.

At the moment, the field hospital is home to just 40 patients.

"Let's hope they do get those staff in place within the next week to 10 days," she said, admitting this was a hopeful expectation rather than a realistic one.

Eastern Cape premier Oscar Mabuyane has called for emergency assistance after revealing the province's health system is overwhelmed.

The South African military has provided 75 doctors and nurses, and the US government has offered 50 ventilators.

But despite these extra resources, the people of the region remain scared and there is little confidence in those who have been appointed to protect them.

Newsletter

Related Articles

Beautiful Virgin Islands
0:00
0:00
Close
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
A Sleepless Night on Wall Street: Nasdaq to Begin Nearly Round-the-Clock Trading
"The First in the World": 69-Year-Old Protested Artificial Intelligence—and Went to Jail
Ukraine's Ousted Defence Minister Calls for Wartime Presidential Election
China’s Lifelike AI Humans Move From Livestreams Into Real-World Service Roles
Sarah Ferguson Reportedly Retreats to Late Ex-Boyfriend's Swiss Chalet
Cristiano Ronaldo and Georgina Rodríguez Sign Prenup Protecting Their Separate Fortunes
Thieves Steal Antonello da Messina Renaissance Masterpieces From Sicilian Museum
Better.com Founder Who Fired 900 Employees on Zoom Is Ousted as CEO
Italian Speed Camera Issues Nearly 32,000 Fines in 10 Weeks, Worth More Than €3 Million
AI Manager at San Francisco Store Recommends Firing Human Employee
Google Launches Pixel 11 With Gemini AI at the Center of Its Hardware Strategy
Reform UK Unveils Plan to Cut Welfare Spending by More Than £50 Billion a Year
Prime Minister Andy Burnham Praised Extinction Rebellion for Doing a 'Great Service'
UK Wildfire Phone Alert Triggers Backlash as Users Switch Off Emergency Warnings
Heathrow Roads Reopen After Burst Water Main Floods Access to Terminals 2 and 3
Former NBA Players Enes Kanter Freedom and Royce White Say They Will Enter 2027 WNBA Draft
Former Cambridge Professor Jason Arday Found Dead Days After Resigning Amid Plagiarism Row
US Appeals Court Rules AI Agent's Website Actions Are Legally Attributed to the User
France's Constitutional Council Blocks Social Media Ban for Children Under 15
Liechtenstein Changes Royal Succession Rules to Allow Women to Inherit the Throne
Women Allege Rape and Sexual Abuse at British Army College for Teenage Recruits
Minnesota: Two independent investigators posed as Muslims (one wearing a burqa) and showed how they could vote in elections without identification.
China’s Kimi Launches AI-Focused Credit Card With Agricultural Bank of China and American Express
Former Labour Adviser Arrested on Suspicion of Spying for China Held Privileged Access as Top Party Donor
Turkish Parliament Passes Landmark Bill Granting Conditional Amnesty to Disarmed PKK Members
Donald Trump Warns FIFA Against Ousting Gianni Infantino Amid Revolt by Global Football Leaders
Jeff Bezos Joins Investor Group Closing In on $6 Billion Liverpool FC Stake
UK Councils to Receive Sweeping Planning Powers to Ban New Vape and Betting Shops
Russia’s A7 Builds a State-Linked Payments Network Beyond Western Sanctions
Hyper-Realistic Reborn Dolls Draw Collectors Seeking Comfort and Craft
Gen Z Cuts Back on Dating as a Night Out Nears $200
Patients Turn to Artificial Intelligence for Therapy as Psychiatrists Warn of Privacy and Clinical Risks
Couples Embrace ‘Sleep Divorce’ to Protect Rest and Reduce Tension
Meta Ordered to Pay $567 Million and Change Facebook and Instagram Safeguards for Children
Up to only 10 Months in Prison for Swedish Officer’s Murderer Sparks Anger
Success: Nvidia Turned Gaming Chips Into the Engine of the AI Boom
Jorge Messi, Lionel Messi’s Father and Longtime Agent, Dies at 68
AI’s Next Bottleneck Is Power, Not Just Nvidia Chips
Advertising trick: Pepsi’s Harrier Jet Commercial Led to a $700,000 Court Fight
×