Beautiful Virgin Islands

Wednesday, Aug 19, 2026

Duke of Edinburgh: Rare new photo of Prince Philip and the Queen released to mark his 99th birthday

Prince Philip turns 99 on Wednesday and has not been seen in public since January.
A rare new photograph of the Duke of Edinburgh with the Queen has been released to mark his 99th birthday.

The picture was taken on 1 June and shows the couple standing side by side in the quadrangle at Windsor Castle.

With the duke turning 99 on Wednesday and the Queen now 94, they look remarkably well, both standing up unaided as the photograph is taken.

Her Majesty is wearing a yellow floral-patterned dress, designed by her stylist and dresser Angela Kelly, with the Cullinan V diamond brooch.

Prince Philip is wearing a blazer and his Household Division tie. Sky's royal commentator Alastair Bruce said the blazer is one of the duke's favourites for a special reason.

He said: "The Duke of Edinburgh has frequently chosen to wear his Grenadier Guards boating jacket, which is the name given to a blazer in the Household Division.

"This one is special because it was left to Prince Philip by his long-time friend Lieutenant Colonel Sir Eric Penn.

"Sir Eric had been to auctions to gather a button from every reign back to King William IV. The regiment's button changes with every reign, as it includes the monarch's cypher.

"When Sir Eric explained the buttons to Prince Philip, who was Colonel of the Grenadiers, His Royal Highness jokingly asked to be given it when he died.

"When Sir Eric did die, his widow took the garment and a diagram showing where every button should go.

"It was a few days before the Queen's birthday parade, much like today, and Lady Penn was received by Prince Philip who was wearing his bearskin cap and a vest.

"The prince tried it on and, apart from the sleeve length it was a perfect fit. He has worn it as a favourite ever since."

He added: "The prince also wears the Household Division tie because he served first as a colonel with the Welsh Guards, whose year to Troop their Colour this was to be.

"He went on to be colonel of the Grenadier Guards and was, for many years, senior colonel of the Household Division."

Trooping the colour was due to take place this weekend but was cancelled due to coronavirus.

Buckingham Palace isn't sharing any details of what the duke might be doing on his birthday, simply saying he is spending it privately at Windsor Castle.

The couple have been living there ever since the COVID-19 lockdown started and the current rules on social distancing will inevitably hamper any plans for family celebrations.

Last week, Prince Charles talked to Sky News about how he missed his father, saying that not seeing family was one of the hardest parts of the pandemic.

He said: "Well I haven't seen my father for a long time. He's going to be 99 next week, so yes, or my grandchildren or anything.

"I've been doing the Facetime, it's all very well but…." And asked how he's felt being disconnected from his family, he added: "Well it's terribly sad, let alone one's friends.

"But fortunately at least you can speak to them on telephones and occasionally do this sort of thing. But it isn't the same is it. You really want to give people a hug."

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh are the only royal couple to celebrate their platinum wedding anniversary, marking 70 years of marriage in 2017.

As Britain's longest-serving consort he has carried out over 22,000 solo public engagements, but has often jokingly described himself as "the world's most experience plaque unveiler".

It has become increasingly rare to see Prince Philip in public, except for attending big family events, after he announced he was stepping back from public duties in 2017.

In recent years, he has spent most of his retirement living at Wood Farm on the Sandringham Estate.

The last time he was seen was in January being driven away from the estate on the day that the Queen held a family meeting about Prince Harry and Meghan's future.

In December, he spent four nights in hospital being treated for a pre-existing medical condition, before being allowed home on Christmas Eve.
Newsletter

Related Articles

Beautiful Virgin Islands
0:00
0:00
Close
"The First in the World": 69-Year-Old Protested Artificial Intelligence—and Went to Jail
Ukraine's Ousted Defence Minister Calls for Wartime Presidential Election
China’s Lifelike AI Humans Move From Livestreams Into Real-World Service Roles
Sarah Ferguson Reportedly Retreats to Late Ex-Boyfriend's Swiss Chalet
Cristiano Ronaldo and Georgina Rodríguez Sign Prenup Protecting Their Separate Fortunes
Thieves Steal Antonello da Messina Renaissance Masterpieces From Sicilian Museum
Better.com Founder Who Fired 900 Employees on Zoom Is Ousted as CEO
Italian Speed Camera Issues Nearly 32,000 Fines in 10 Weeks, Worth More Than €3 Million
AI Manager at San Francisco Store Recommends Firing Human Employee
Google Launches Pixel 11 With Gemini AI at the Center of Its Hardware Strategy
Reform UK Unveils Plan to Cut Welfare Spending by More Than £50 Billion a Year
Prime Minister Andy Burnham Praised Extinction Rebellion for Doing a 'Great Service'
UK Wildfire Phone Alert Triggers Backlash as Users Switch Off Emergency Warnings
Heathrow Roads Reopen After Burst Water Main Floods Access to Terminals 2 and 3
Former NBA Players Enes Kanter Freedom and Royce White Say They Will Enter 2027 WNBA Draft
Former Cambridge Professor Jason Arday Found Dead Days After Resigning Amid Plagiarism Row
US Appeals Court Rules AI Agent's Website Actions Are Legally Attributed to the User
France's Constitutional Council Blocks Social Media Ban for Children Under 15
Liechtenstein Changes Royal Succession Rules to Allow Women to Inherit the Throne
Women Allege Rape and Sexual Abuse at British Army College for Teenage Recruits
Minnesota: Two independent investigators posed as Muslims (one wearing a burqa) and showed how they could vote in elections without identification.
China’s Kimi Launches AI-Focused Credit Card With Agricultural Bank of China and American Express
Former Labour Adviser Arrested on Suspicion of Spying for China Held Privileged Access as Top Party Donor
Turkish Parliament Passes Landmark Bill Granting Conditional Amnesty to Disarmed PKK Members
Donald Trump Warns FIFA Against Ousting Gianni Infantino Amid Revolt by Global Football Leaders
Jeff Bezos Joins Investor Group Closing In on $6 Billion Liverpool FC Stake
UK Councils to Receive Sweeping Planning Powers to Ban New Vape and Betting Shops
Russia’s A7 Builds a State-Linked Payments Network Beyond Western Sanctions
Hyper-Realistic Reborn Dolls Draw Collectors Seeking Comfort and Craft
Gen Z Cuts Back on Dating as a Night Out Nears $200
Patients Turn to Artificial Intelligence for Therapy as Psychiatrists Warn of Privacy and Clinical Risks
Couples Embrace ‘Sleep Divorce’ to Protect Rest and Reduce Tension
Meta Ordered to Pay $567 Million and Change Facebook and Instagram Safeguards for Children
Up to only 10 Months in Prison for Swedish Officer’s Murderer Sparks Anger
Success: Nvidia Turned Gaming Chips Into the Engine of the AI Boom
Jorge Messi, Lionel Messi’s Father and Longtime Agent, Dies at 68
AI’s Next Bottleneck Is Power, Not Just Nvidia Chips
Advertising trick: Pepsi’s Harrier Jet Commercial Led to a $700,000 Court Fight
Meta Raises AI Spending Target to as Much as $145bn Despite Pressure Over Returns
Danube Drought Exposes Nazi Wrecks and Pushes Central Europe’s Power System to the Brink
Joe Biden’s Cancer Has Spread Beyond His Bones, Hunter Biden Says
Air Traffic Control Outage Grounded Flights Across the Midwest
Why 2027 Could Be a Strong Year for Stocks—and Why the Forecast Is Fragile
Why Markets May Look Quiet in August After Big Tech Earnings
Australian Crew Evacuates Seriously Ill American From Antarctica in Midwinter Darkness
Trump’s Top General Seeks an Exit Strategy From Iran War, Report Says
Brock Lesnar Retires From Wrestling, Closing a Career of Rare Athletic Range and Lasting Controversy
Trump-Era Policy Shifts Test the Boundaries of U.S. Institutions
UK Drought Cuts Harvests and Raises Food-Security Fears
UFO: Pentagon Releases Video of Unidentified Object Tracked Over Middle East
×