Beautiful Virgin Islands

Friday, Aug 21, 2026

Families of Foreign Workers in Canada to Get Work Visas

Families of Foreign Workers in Canada to Get Work Visas

In a bid to address a crippling labor shortage and help keep families together, Canada is making it possible for the first time for spouses and working-age children of temporary foreign workers to work legally in the country themselves.
The program, to be rolled out in three phases beginning in January, will remain in place for two years, according to Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Sean Fraser.

“Everywhere I go, employers across the country continue to identify a lack of workers as their biggest obstacle,” Fraser said in announcing the program earlier this month.

“Today’s announcement will help employers find the workers they need to fill their labor gaps by expanding work permits to family members at all skill levels, resulting in family members of over 200,000 foreign workers being able to work in Canada,” he said. “Our government is going to continue helping employers overcome labor shortages, while also supporting the well-being of workers and uniting their families.”

Canada had already begun looking abroad to make up a shortfall of homegrown workers as the economy rebounds rapidly from the coronavirus pandemic. “As of the second quarter of 2022, there were more than a million vacant jobs in Canada — the highest quarterly number on record,” according to the CTV television network.

“Canada is increasingly reliant on temporary foreign workers to fill labor shortage gaps,” according to the government’s statistical agency Statscan, which noted the number of foreign work permits issued in the first 10 months of this year was four times greater than in the same period of 2021.

The new program’s first phase begins with family members of workers coming to Canada in its “high-wage stream,” meaning they will earn more than the median hourly wage for their occupation in the region where they will work.

The second phase will apply to the families of workers in the “low-wage stream,” who will earn less than the median hourly wage. Implementation of the third phase, which will apply to agricultural work, will be subject to negotiation with “agricultural partners and stakeholders,” the government said.

No precise dates have been announced for the introduction of any of the phases.

'Keeping families together'

A government press release announcing the program said the measure “aims to improve the emotional well-being, physical health and financial stability of workers by keeping families together. As a result, it is expected that the worker will better integrate into their overall work environment and community.”

But it seen as a less-than-satisfactory half-measure by Danilo de Leon, chairperson of Migrante Canada, an alliance of Filipino migrant organizations across Canada.

“This is still temporary status for workers and family members,” said de Leon, a 51-year-old delivery driver in Canada on a temporary foreign work visa. Speaking to VOA, he added: “It does not address the issue of abuse of workers in their workplaces. For me, it does not resolve the long-term need of migrant workers, one of which is the permanent residence status.”

Concerns about 'a hierarchy of deservingness'

Idil Atak, a professor at Toronto Metropolitan University with a focus on refugee issues, welcomed some aspects of the program but questioned the way it is being introduced.

“This is good news since family reunification is a fundamental right and Canada has been denying it to low-wage foreign workers for some time,” Atak told VOA.

“But the reasons behind the phased approach — with temporary agricultural workers being the last group to be granted the right to family life — are not clear to me. The approach creates a hierarchy of deservingness based on the kind of work performed. Family reunification should be the principle for all workers without discrimination.”

Immigration expert Al Parsai offered two pieces of advice for families hoping to take advantage of the new policy.

“Please take the right steps to qualify,” he said in an interview. “This unique opportunity could end in two years.”

Secondly, he said, “Please be aware of misinformation. You can always double-check the information you receive on the official [Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada] website or consult with a licensed professional.”
Newsletter

Related Articles

Beautiful Virgin Islands
0:00
0:00
Close
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
A Sleepless Night on Wall Street: Nasdaq to Begin Nearly Round-the-Clock Trading
"The First in the World": 69-Year-Old Protested Artificial Intelligence—and Went to Jail
Ukraine's Ousted Defence Minister Calls for Wartime Presidential Election
China’s Lifelike AI Humans Move From Livestreams Into Real-World Service Roles
Sarah Ferguson Reportedly Retreats to Late Ex-Boyfriend's Swiss Chalet
Cristiano Ronaldo and Georgina Rodríguez Sign Prenup Protecting Their Separate Fortunes
Thieves Steal Antonello da Messina Renaissance Masterpieces From Sicilian Museum
Better.com Founder Who Fired 900 Employees on Zoom Is Ousted as CEO
Italian Speed Camera Issues Nearly 32,000 Fines in 10 Weeks, Worth More Than €3 Million
AI Manager at San Francisco Store Recommends Firing Human Employee
Google Launches Pixel 11 With Gemini AI at the Center of Its Hardware Strategy
Reform UK Unveils Plan to Cut Welfare Spending by More Than £50 Billion a Year
Prime Minister Andy Burnham Praised Extinction Rebellion for Doing a 'Great Service'
UK Wildfire Phone Alert Triggers Backlash as Users Switch Off Emergency Warnings
Heathrow Roads Reopen After Burst Water Main Floods Access to Terminals 2 and 3
Former NBA Players Enes Kanter Freedom and Royce White Say They Will Enter 2027 WNBA Draft
Former Cambridge Professor Jason Arday Found Dead Days After Resigning Amid Plagiarism Row
US Appeals Court Rules AI Agent's Website Actions Are Legally Attributed to the User
France's Constitutional Council Blocks Social Media Ban for Children Under 15
Liechtenstein Changes Royal Succession Rules to Allow Women to Inherit the Throne
Women Allege Rape and Sexual Abuse at British Army College for Teenage Recruits
Minnesota: Two independent investigators posed as Muslims (one wearing a burqa) and showed how they could vote in elections without identification.
China’s Kimi Launches AI-Focused Credit Card With Agricultural Bank of China and American Express
Former Labour Adviser Arrested on Suspicion of Spying for China Held Privileged Access as Top Party Donor
Turkish Parliament Passes Landmark Bill Granting Conditional Amnesty to Disarmed PKK Members
Donald Trump Warns FIFA Against Ousting Gianni Infantino Amid Revolt by Global Football Leaders
Jeff Bezos Joins Investor Group Closing In on $6 Billion Liverpool FC Stake
UK Councils to Receive Sweeping Planning Powers to Ban New Vape and Betting Shops
Russia’s A7 Builds a State-Linked Payments Network Beyond Western Sanctions
Hyper-Realistic Reborn Dolls Draw Collectors Seeking Comfort and Craft
Gen Z Cuts Back on Dating as a Night Out Nears $200
Patients Turn to Artificial Intelligence for Therapy as Psychiatrists Warn of Privacy and Clinical Risks
Couples Embrace ‘Sleep Divorce’ to Protect Rest and Reduce Tension
Meta Ordered to Pay $567 Million and Change Facebook and Instagram Safeguards for Children
Up to only 10 Months in Prison for Swedish Officer’s Murderer Sparks Anger
Success: Nvidia Turned Gaming Chips Into the Engine of the AI Boom
Jorge Messi, Lionel Messi’s Father and Longtime Agent, Dies at 68
AI’s Next Bottleneck Is Power, Not Just Nvidia Chips
Advertising trick: Pepsi’s Harrier Jet Commercial Led to a $700,000 Court Fight
×