Beautiful Virgin Islands

Friday, Aug 29, 2025

Fury as 500 in Privy Council axed from ceremony held when Charles becomes king

Fury as 500 in Privy Council axed from ceremony held when Charles becomes king

Richard Tilbrook - who acts as clerk to the Monarch's advisory body - has revealed that only 200 counsellors from the 700-strong department will be allowed to attend the Accession Council meeting

A decision to axe 500 members of the Privy Council from a ceremonial meeting held when Prince Charles ascends to the throne has sparked fury among Her Majesty's advisors.

Richard Tilbrook - who acts as clerk to the Monarch's advisory body - has revealed that just 200 counsellors from the 700-strong department will be allowed to attend the Accession Council meeting.

The trimmed down guest will only include priority members like Cabinet Minister, former Prime Ministers, senior judges and the Archbishops of Canterbury and York, according to the Mail on Sunday.

For the 500 members not lucky enough to qualify for an automatic ticket, they will need to submit their names into a ballot if they want to attend.

The historic ceremony, which has happened for centuries, takes place in St James's Palace after a monarch's death and as a new king or queen succeeds their predecessor.

The 700-strong Privy Council acts as an advisory body to the UK monarch - and has done so for centuries


Traditionally, all members of the council - who are allowed to use the "Right Honourable" title - would attend the ceremonial meeting.

The decision was revealed in a letter from Mr Tilbrook, who said ceremony's guest list had to be slashed to just 200 due to "strong safety and operational reasons".

The letter added: "if we are to deliver the first high-profile event of the King's reign to the high presentational and safety standards required of the occasion".

Outraged critics claim the number of counsellors attending has been chopped down so TV cameras can record the ceremony for the first time ever.

One senior Privy Counsellor told the Mail on Sunday : 'It is utterly wrong to ban the great majority of Privy Counsellors from what is the most important meeting they will ever attend. Frankly, the whole thing is undignified.'

Downing Street has already agreed to the slimmed down guest list, Mr Tilbrook said.

And Number 10 sources add that responses so far from members of the council had been "sympathetic" and "largely accepting".

A Government spokesman added: "It would be inappropriate to comment on the planning arrangements for such a highly sensitive event."

Prince Charles also has plans to trim down the monarchy itself once he takes the throne.

An expert last month said the reduction of working royals could serve as a warning after recent high profile scandals.

The Firm has, of course, already undergone some major structural changes in the past few years.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have decided their future is not in the UK, while Prince Andrew is not expected to ever return to public life.

But the enforced alterations don't begin to scratch the surface of what's ahead, some believe.

Charles has long been prepping for the new era and he has Palace "hangers-on" firmly in his eye-line.

It has long been said that the 73-year-old plans a major shake-up of the when he becomes head of state - and it could also affect royal residences.

Newsletter

Related Articles

Beautiful Virgin Islands
0:00
0:00
Close
Bruce Willis Relocated Due to Advanced Dementia
French and Korean Nuclear Majors Clash As EU Launches Foreign Subsidy Probe
EU Stands Firm on Digital Rules as Trump Warns of Retaliation
Getting Ready for the 3rd Time in Its History, Germany Approves Voluntary Military Service for Teenagers
Argentine President Javier Milei Evacuated After Stones Thrown During Campaign Event
Denmark Confronts U.S. Diplomat Over Covert Trump-Linked Influence in Greenland
Starmer Should Back Away from ECHR, Says Jack Straw
Trump Demands RICO Charges Against George Soros and Son for Funding Violent Protests
Taylor Swift Announces Engagement to NFL Star Travis Kelce
France May Need IMF Bailout, Warns Finance Minister
Chinese AI Chipmaker Cambricon Posts Record Profit as Beijing Pushes Pivot from Nvidia
After the Shock of Defeat, Iranians Yearn for Change
Ukraine Finally Allows Young Men Aged Eighteen to Twenty-Two to Leave the Country
The Porn Remains, Privacy Disappears: How Britain Broke the Internet in Ten Days
YouTube Altered Content by Artificial Intelligence – Without Permission
Welcome to The Definition of Insanity: Germany Edition
Just a reminder, this is Michael Jackson's daughter, Paris.
Spotify’s Strange Move: The Feature Nobody Asked For – Returns
Manhunt in Australia: Armed Anti-Government Suspect Kills Police Officers Sent to Arrest Him
China Launches World’s Most Powerful Neutrino Detector
How Beijing-Linked Networks Shape Elections in New York City
Ukrainian Refugee Iryna Zarutska Fled War To US, Stabbed To Death
Elon Musk Sues Apple and OpenAI Over Alleged App Store Monopoly
2 Australian Police Shot Dead In Encounter In Rural Victoria State
Vietnam Evacuates Hundreds of Thousands as Typhoon Kajiki Strikes; China’s Sanya Shuts Down
UK Government Delays Decision on China’s Proposed London Embassy Amid Concerns Over Redacted Plans
A 150-Year Tradition to Be Abolished? Uproar Over the Popular Central Park Attraction
A new faith called Robotheism claims artificial intelligence isn’t just smart but actually God itself
Deputy Prime Minister Angela Rayner Purchases Third Property Amid Housing Tax Reforms Debate
HSBC Switzerland Ends Relationships with Over 1,000 Clients from Saudi Arabia, Lebanon, Qatar, and Egypt
Sharia Law Made Legally Binding in Austria Despite Warnings Over 'Incompatible' Values
Italian Facebook Group Sharing Intimate Images Without Consent Shut Down Amid Police Investigation
Dutch Foreign Minister Resigns Amid Deadlock Over Israel Sanctions
Trump and Allies Send Messages of Support to Ukraine on Independence Day Amid Ongoing Conflict
China Reels as Telegram Chat Group Shares Hidden-Camera Footage of Women and Children
Sam Nicoresti becomes first transgender comedian to win Edinburgh Comedy Award
Builders uncover historic human remains in Lancashire house renovation
Australia Wants to Tax Your Empty Bedrooms
MotoGP Cameraman Narrowly Avoids Pedro Acosta Crash at Hungarian Grand Prix
FBI Investigates John Bolton Over Classified Documents in High-Profile Raids
Report reveals OpenAI pitched national ChatGPT Plus subscription to UK ministers
Labour set to freeze income tax thresholds in long-term 'stealth' tax raid
Coca‑Cola explores sale of Costa coffee chain
Trial hears dog walker was chased and fatally stabbed by trio
Restaurateur resigns from government hospitality council over tax criticism
Spanish City funfair shut after serious ride injury
Suspected arson at Ilford restaurant leaves three in critical condition
Tottenham beat Manchester City to go top of Premier League
Bank holiday heatwave to hit 30°C before remnants of Hurricane Erin arrive
UK to deploy immigration advisers to West Africa to block fake visas
×