Beautiful Virgin Islands

Thursday, Feb 19, 2026

Harry And Meghan Permanently Quit British Royal Life

Harry And Meghan Permanently Quit British Royal Life

"The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have confirmed to Her Majesty The Queen that they will not be returning as working members of The Royal Family," Buckingham Palace announced.

Prince Harry and his American wife Meghan have permanently quit royal duties, Buckingham Palace said Friday, just over a year after they rocked the British monarchy by announcing plans to "step back" from their roles.

Queen Elizabeth II ordered the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, as they are formally known, to relinquish their honorary titles and patronages following the confirmation that they would not be returning as working royals.

The couple relocated to the United States last year, in a move dubbed "Megxit" by the British press, and have since embarked on several commercial ventures there including lucrative tieups with the streaming platforms Netflix and Spotify.

At an emergency January 2020 summit with the queen, Harry's father Prince Charles and brother Prince William, Harry agreed they would stop using their "Royal Highness" titles and the "Sussex Royal" brand.

But the senior family members pledged to review the situation a year on -- with the move now made permanent, days after Harry and Meghan announced on Valentine's Day they are expecting their second child.

"The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have confirmed to Her Majesty The Queen that they will not be returning as working members of The Royal Family," Buckingham Palace announced.

"The Queen has written confirming that in stepping away from the work of The Royal Family it is not possible to continue with the responsibilities and duties that come with a life of public service."

It noted their honorary appointments and patronages would be redistributed among the remaining working royals.

 'Service is universal'


However, it appears the pair will retain their official titles of Duke and Duchess of Sussex, and Harry remains sixth in line to the throne, with no change in the line of succession.

"While all are saddened by their decision, the Duke and Duchess remain much loved members of the family," the palace statement added.

The decision means Harry, 36, who served as a soldier in Afghanistan and is passionate about veterans' welfare, must relinquish several honorary military titles related to the Royal Marines, air force and navy.

Earlier this month he formally settled a libel claim against the publisher of The Mail On Sunday and MailOnline website over reports he had snubbed soldiers since stepping back from royal life.

A spokesperson for the couple said Friday they had shown that they "remain committed to their duty and service to the UK and around the world".

The statement noted they had offered their continued support to the organisations they had represented "regardless of official role".

"We can all live a life of service. Service is universal," it added.

 'Intimate' interview


The couple's move to the US followed reports Meghan was deeply unhappy with life inside the centuries-old royal institution and increasing complaints from the couple about media intrusion.

But its sudden nature jolted the monarchy and reportedly caused acrimony with Harry's brother William, who is second in line to the throne.

Harry and Meghan have launched several legal cases against UK news outlets alleging invasion of privacy, with one lawsuit ending this month with a victory against Associated Newspapers.

The couple are poised to give an "intimate" interview about their lives with US chat show host Oprah Winfrey.

 'Championed our work'


Aside from his military titles, Harry also held Commonwealth appointments and some other patronages, including with the Rugby Football Union (RFU) and Rugby Football League.

"The RFU has greatly valued his contribution to promoting and supporting the game," the organisation said on Twitter.

Harry will remain as patron of the Invictus Games Foundation, the organisation for disabled military veterans confirmed.

Meanwhile Meghan was also handed honorary roles after she wed Harry in a fairytale ceremony at Windsor Castle in May 2018, including becoming a patron of the National Theatre.

The acclaimed theatre group also thanked her for the support offered during her briefer than expected tenure and said the process of appointing a new patron had begun.

Jennie Bond, a former royal correspondent for the BBC, said the loss of titles would be a blow to the couple.

"This is going to upset Harry, obviously, particularly the military (losses)," she told the broadcaster.

Newsletter

Related Articles

Beautiful Virgin Islands
0:00
0:00
Close
Hide the truth, fake the facts, pretend the opposite, Britain is as usual
UK Inflation Falls to Ten-Month Low, Markets Anticipate Interest Rate Cut
UK House Prices Climb 2.4% in December as Market Shows Signs of Stabilisation
BAE Systems Predicts Sustained Expansion as Defence Orders Reach Record High
Pro-Palestine Activists Cleared of Burglary Charges Over Break-In at UK Israeli Arms Facility
Former Reform UK Councillors Form New Local Group Amid Party Fragmentation
Reform UK Pledges to Retain Britain’s Budget Watchdog as It Seeks Broader Economic Credibility
Miliband Defends UK-California Clean Energy Pact After Sharp Criticism by Trump
University of Kentucky to Host 2026 Summer Camps Fair Connecting Families with Local Programmes
UK Police Forces Assess Claims Jeffrey Epstein Used Stansted Airport Flights in Trafficking Network
UK-Focused Equity ETF FLGB Climbs to Fresh 52-Week Peak on Strong Market Sentiment
Trump Warns UK’s Chagos Islands Agreement Is a “Big Mistake” Amid Strategic Security Debate
Trump Urges UK to Retain Sovereignty Over Diego Garcia Amid Strategic Concerns
Italian Police Arrest Man After Alleged Attempt to Abduct Toddler at Bergamo Supermarket, Child Hospitalised With Fractured Femur
Reform UK Appoints Former Conservative Minister Robert Jenrick as Finance Chief
UK Unemployment Rises to Highest in Nearly Five Years as Labour Market Weakens
Rupert Lowe Advocates for English-Only Use in the UK
US Successfully Transports Small Nuclear Reactor from California to Utah
South Korea's traditional sand wrestling sport ssireum faces declining interest at home
Japan outlawed Islam
Virginia Giuffre accuses Epstein of trafficking to powerful men for blackmail.
New Mexico lawmakers initiate investigation into Zorro Ranch linked to Jeffrey Epstein
British Tourist Arrested at Hong Kong Airport After Meltdown and Vandalism
Nigel Farage Names Reform UK Frontbench Team and Signals Zero Tolerance for Internal Dissent
Qualcomm to Withdraw UK Lawsuit Over Smartphone Chip Royalty Dispute
Major UK Banks Explore Domestic Card Network to Rival Visa and Mastercard
Cold Health Alert Issued Across UK as Temperatures Drop Sharply
Nine-Year-Old Becomes First Child in UK to Undergo Groundbreaking Leg-Lengthening Surgery
UK Workers Face Stagnant Incomes and a Softening Labour Market as Unemployment Climbs
UK Passport Rules Tightened for British Dual Nationals Under New Travel Guidance
California Deepens Global Climate Alliance with New UK Pact and Major Clean-Tech Investment Drive
UK Supreme Court Tightens Rules on Use of ‘Milk’ and ‘Cheese’ Labels for Plant-Based Products
University of Kentucky Postpones Feb. 19 Law Enforcement Training Exercise in Lexington
‘The only thing illegal is Keir Starmer handing these islands to a country like Mauritius!’
JD Vance says Germany is “killing itself” by taking in millions of fake asylum seekers from culturally incompatible nations.
UK Markets Signal Opportunity as Starmer Confronts Intensifying Political Pressure
Trump Criticises Newsom’s UK Climate Pact, Defends Federal Authority Over Foreign Engagements
UK’s Top Prosecutor Says ‘No One Is Above the Law’ as Police Review Claims Against Ex-Prince Andrew
Rubio Calls for Sweeping U.N. Reform, Saying It Has Failed to End Wars in Gaza and Ukraine
Prince William Meets Saudi Crown Prince as Epstein-Andrew Fallout Casts Shadow
Starmer Calls for Renewed ‘Hard Power’ Investment at European Security Summit
UK Police Establish National Taskforce to Handle Domestic Epstein-Linked Allegations
UK Court Rules Ban on Palestine Action Unlawful in Major Free Speech Test
UK Faces Prospect of Net Migration Turning Negative as Economic Impact Looms
Peter Mandelson Asked to Testify Before US Congress Over Jeffrey Epstein Links
Document Suggests Prince Andrew Shared UK Briefing on Afghan Investment Opportunities with Jeffrey Epstein
Beijing Brands UK Hong Kong Visa Expansion ‘Despicable and Reprehensible’ After Jimmy Lai Sentencing
Tesco Chief Warns UK Is ‘Sleepwalking’ Toward a Joblessness Crisis
Trump’s ‘Act of Great Stupidity’ Comment on UK Chagos Deal Reverberates Through Diplomacy and Strategy
New U.S. filings say Jeffrey Epstein repaid Les Wexner one hundred million dollars after theft allegation
×