The Queen’s birthday parade ‘will not go ahead in its traditional form’ amid the coronavirus pandemic, it was revealed today.
Officials at Buckingham Palace said a ‘number of other options are being considered in line with relevant guidance’ ahead of Trooping the Colour, which is due to take place on June 13 in London.
The event has happened annually for more than 260 years, with more than 1,400 soldiers, 200 horses and 400 musicians normally coming together to mark the celebration.
A 41-gun salute is usually fired in Green Park, as well as a gun salute at the Tower Of London, before the Royal Family gathers on the balcony of Buckingham Palace to watch the RAF fly by.
The announcement comes as Prince Charles tests positive for the virus, which has now taken 759 lives across the UK.
The Prince of Wales has ‘mild symptoms’ of Covid
-19, but otherwise remains in good health, a spokesperson said on Wednesday.
Charles’ diagnosis didn’t stop him from joining thousands of people across the country in clapping hard-working NHS staff on Thursday evening.
Clarence House posted a video on their Instagram Stories of the heir to the throne showing his gratitude from his private home on the Balmoral estate in Scotland.
The Queen and Prince Philip both left London to travel to Windsor Castle in Berkshire to isolate earlier this month.
Her Majesty moved a week earlier than she normally would at this time of year, and is expected to remain there beyond the Easter period.
She carried out official duties the day before her planned departure, but held her weekly audience with Boris Johnson
on the phone rather than face-to-face as usual.
The prime minister tested positive for coronavirus
today, along with Health Secretary Matt Hancock.
Chief Medical Officer Chris Whitty is also self-isolating after showing coronavirus
symptoms, meaning that the three main figures in the UK’s battle against the illness are all working from home.