Beautiful Virgin Islands

Wednesday, May 20, 2026

Top DHS Officials’ E-Mails Compromised in SolarWinds Hack, Report Says

Top DHS Officials’ E-Mails Compromised in SolarWinds Hack, Report Says

The massive SolarWinds breach was only noticed by US authorities in December last year – Washington said the cyberattack started much earlier in March.

Hackers managed to access e-mails of the former acting head of the US Department of Homeland Security Chad Wolf in the SolarWinds breach, the Associated Press reported, citing more than a dozen current and former US government officials who spoke on condition of anonymity.

According to the officials, Wolf and other top Homeland Security officials had to use new phones that had been wiped clean along with the encrypted messaging system Signal to communicate in the days after the hack.

One former high-placed administration official said told AP that the cyber criminals also hacked the private schedules of Energy Department officials, including then-Secretary Dan Brouillette.

Another former administration official said that the Federal Aviation Administration had also been targeted but was sluggish in its response due to outdated technology as it struggled for weeks to identify how many servers were SolarWinds software.

Washington Blames Russia Again


Last year, SolarWinds – a major Texas-based information technology firm that supported government data – came under a massive cyberattack. Hackers gained access to the data of private companies like the elite cybersecurity firm FireEye and the upper echelons of the US government, including the Department of Homeland Security and the Treasury Department. The intruders reportedly used corrupted SolarWinds software to install malicious programmes.

American officials said Russian hackers were likely to blame. The New York Times reported, citing unnamed US government sources, that the Biden administration planned “clandestine actions across Russian networks” as a response to the breach.

Moscow has denied all allegations of being involved in the attack, stressing that no evidence has been provided by Washington to back up its allegations. The Kremlin also issued a statement saying that the reported US plans to hit Russian networks in response to the breach were “alarming” and would effectively amount to “international cybercrime.”

Newsletter

Related Articles

Beautiful Virgin Islands
0:00
0:00
Close
'They're people from all walks of life across the UK'
EU Digital ID Claims Misstate What Brussels Can Legally Force on Member States
The Great Western Exit: Why Best Citizens Are Fleeing the Rich World [PODCAST]
The New Robber Barons of Intelligence: Are AI Bosses More Powerful Than Rockefeller?
The End of the Old Order [Podcast]
Britain’s Democracy Is Now a Costume
The AI Gold Rush Is Coming for America’s Last Open Spaces [Podcast]
The Pentagon’s AI Squeeze: Eight Tech Giants Get In, Anthropic Gets Shut Out [Podcast]
The War Map: Professor Jiang’s Dark Theory of Iran, Trump, China, Russia, Israel, and the Coming Global Shock [Podcast]
Labour Is No Longer a National Party [Podcast]
AI Isn’t Stealing Your Job. It’s Dismantling It Piece by Piece.
Lawyers vs Engineers: Why China Builds While America Litigates [Podcast]
Churchill’s Glass: The Drunk, the Doctor, and the Myth Britain Refuses to Sober Up From
Apple issues an unusual warning: this is how your iPhone can be hacked without you doing anything
The Met Gala Meets the Age of Billionaire Backlash
Russian Oligarch’s Superyacht Crosses Hormuz via Iran-Controlled Route
Gunfire Disrupts White House Correspondents’ Dinner as Trump Is Evacuated
A Leak, a King, and a Fracturing Alliance
Inside the Gates Foundation Turmoil: Layoffs, Scrutiny, and the Cost of Reputational Risk
UK Biobank Breach Exposes Health Data of 500,000, Listed for Sale on Chinese Platform
KPMG Cuts Around 10% of US Audit Partners After Failed Exit Push
French Police Probe Suspected Weather-Data Tampering After Unusual Polymarket Bets on Paris Temperatures
×