Beautiful Virgin Islands

Saturday, Aug 22, 2026

Unexpected boost: More than 64K in cruise passengers coming this season

Unexpected boost: More than 64K in cruise passengers coming this season

Premier and Minister of Tourism Andrew Fahie has said the British Virgin Islands is set to benefit from more than 60,000 cruise passengers for the 2019/2020 tourist season.

The Premier said this ‘unexpected boost’ is as a result of two major cruise lines – Norwegian and Royal Caribbean – confirming that they will increase their calls to the territory.

He said: “The cruise industry is an integral aspect of the way forward for growth and prosperity for the territory. As such, our government remains focused on building and maintaining strong relationships with our valued cruise partners and ensuring that the citizens of the territory continue to benefit from the consequent economic activity. In this regard, I mandated Tortola Pier Park Ltd and the BVI Port Authority to work expeditiously to ensure that this goal is realized.”

“We are already seeing great initial results from our collective and tireless efforts. I am happy to say that our taxi drivers, small business owners, vendors, tour operators and our various agencies can now look forward to increased benefits and opportunities from the arrival of an additional 64,022 passengers in the upcoming 2019/2020 season,” the Premier added.

The Premier said Norwegian Cruises will make 12 calls, bringing 50,000 passengers while Royal Caribbean Cruises promised to increase their current bookings from 32 calls to 39 calls which will bring in an additional 14,022 passengers to the territory’s shores.

He further said Royal Caribbean’s calls include eight this summer and six next summer.

Notably, in the 2016/2017 season, Royal Caribbean made only eight calls to the territory and only two calls in the 2017/2018 season.

The Premier said the territory is working with the stakeholders in the cruise industry to further develop the BVI’s offerings and see an even larger increase in the upcoming seasons.

Roughly half-a-million passengers are expected in the territory by the end of this season.

Territory was expected to lose millions

Just last month, Premier Fahie announced that the territory was projected to lose millions in revenue after Norwegian Cruise Line made a ‘commercial decision’ to adjust their itineraries and reduce ship calls to the territory.

At the time, he said the territory would have seen a passenger shortfall of 180,000 for the 2019/2020 season as a result.

“This translates to an estimated loss in revenue of over $14 million projected using a passenger spend of $78.11 based on studies conducted by Business Research Economic Advisors,” Fahie said at the time.

He also mentioned that this was communicated to the BVI Ports Authority (BVIPA) since November 2016 where the cruise line informed that this shortfall was expected to continue for future seasons.

Solutions

However, the Tourism Minister indicated that, after receiving the letter, the BVIPA sent a response accepting the remedies that had been suggested by the cruise line. One such solution was for the cruise liners to pay a ‘shortfall fee’ based on the Territory’s passenger tax.

Fahie also mentioned that during talks with the cruise lines, at least one said it preferred to travel to Antartica than service the BVI because of their treatment under the previous NDP administration.

Newsletter

Related Articles

Beautiful Virgin Islands
0:00
0:00
Close
Petrol Bombs Set Luxury Cars Alight Outside Birmingham Wedding as Police Hunt Three Men
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
A Sleepless Night on Wall Street: Nasdaq to Begin Nearly Round-the-Clock Trading
"The First in the World": 69-Year-Old Protested Artificial Intelligence—and Went to Jail
Ukraine's Ousted Defence Minister Calls for Wartime Presidential Election
China’s Lifelike AI Humans Move From Livestreams Into Real-World Service Roles
Sarah Ferguson Reportedly Retreats to Late Ex-Boyfriend's Swiss Chalet
Cristiano Ronaldo and Georgina Rodríguez Sign Prenup Protecting Their Separate Fortunes
Thieves Steal Antonello da Messina Renaissance Masterpieces From Sicilian Museum
Better.com Founder Who Fired 900 Employees on Zoom Is Ousted as CEO
Italian Speed Camera Issues Nearly 32,000 Fines in 10 Weeks, Worth More Than €3 Million
AI Manager at San Francisco Store Recommends Firing Human Employee
Google Launches Pixel 11 With Gemini AI at the Center of Its Hardware Strategy
Reform UK Unveils Plan to Cut Welfare Spending by More Than £50 Billion a Year
Prime Minister Andy Burnham Praised Extinction Rebellion for Doing a 'Great Service'
UK Wildfire Phone Alert Triggers Backlash as Users Switch Off Emergency Warnings
Heathrow Roads Reopen After Burst Water Main Floods Access to Terminals 2 and 3
Former NBA Players Enes Kanter Freedom and Royce White Say They Will Enter 2027 WNBA Draft
Former Cambridge Professor Jason Arday Found Dead Days After Resigning Amid Plagiarism Row
US Appeals Court Rules AI Agent's Website Actions Are Legally Attributed to the User
France's Constitutional Council Blocks Social Media Ban for Children Under 15
Liechtenstein Changes Royal Succession Rules to Allow Women to Inherit the Throne
Women Allege Rape and Sexual Abuse at British Army College for Teenage Recruits
Minnesota: Two independent investigators posed as Muslims (one wearing a burqa) and showed how they could vote in elections without identification.
China’s Kimi Launches AI-Focused Credit Card With Agricultural Bank of China and American Express
Former Labour Adviser Arrested on Suspicion of Spying for China Held Privileged Access as Top Party Donor
Turkish Parliament Passes Landmark Bill Granting Conditional Amnesty to Disarmed PKK Members
Donald Trump Warns FIFA Against Ousting Gianni Infantino Amid Revolt by Global Football Leaders
Jeff Bezos Joins Investor Group Closing In on $6 Billion Liverpool FC Stake
UK Councils to Receive Sweeping Planning Powers to Ban New Vape and Betting Shops
Russia’s A7 Builds a State-Linked Payments Network Beyond Western Sanctions
Hyper-Realistic Reborn Dolls Draw Collectors Seeking Comfort and Craft
Gen Z Cuts Back on Dating as a Night Out Nears $200
Patients Turn to Artificial Intelligence for Therapy as Psychiatrists Warn of Privacy and Clinical Risks
Couples Embrace ‘Sleep Divorce’ to Protect Rest and Reduce Tension
Meta Ordered to Pay $567 Million and Change Facebook and Instagram Safeguards for Children
Up to only 10 Months in Prison for Swedish Officer’s Murderer Sparks Anger
Success: Nvidia Turned Gaming Chips Into the Engine of the AI Boom
Jorge Messi, Lionel Messi’s Father and Longtime Agent, Dies at 68
×