Beautiful Virgin Islands

Monday, Aug 17, 2026

USVI ports could reopen to cruise ships as early as January 2021

USVI ports could reopen to cruise ships as early as January 2021

St Thomas, USVI- US Virgin Islands (USVI) residents, especially those in St Thomas, may soon see cruise ships at ports of call again, as the once bustling cruise tourism operation that sustained many livelihoods on the island see some revival in the next few months.

During a West Indian Company Board of Directors meeting held Thursday, October 15, 2020, Interim President and CEO, and Director of Property Management Anthony Ottley told those in attendance that the Virgin Islands could see the return of cruise ships to WICO as early as January 2021.

The cruise industry came to a standstill early this year after countries started issuing no-sail orders as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic. This has not only led to the over 300 cruise ships around the world be docked indefinitely; but also created an unstable environment since timelines for the resumption of services remain fluid.

No cruise ships expected for remainder of year


The Center for Disease Control and Prevention last month extended its no-sail order to October 31, 2020, but none of the major cruise lines have committed to sailing on November 1, 2020. Norwegian Cruise Line and Royal Caribbean extended their self-imposed no-sail policy through the end of November, with no commitment to resume sailing in December.

However, Carnival Cruise Line — the world's largest cruise company — has submitted its sailing schedule, which covers the period from January 2020 to April 30, 2022. To that end, WICO has been making preparations to reopen and is seeking confirmation from other cruise lines relative to their resumption schedule and policy.

"Conversations have been moving pretty rapidly over the past couple of weeks with the cruise lines, at least from my position in tourism," said WICO Board Chairman Joseph Boschulte, who also serves as the commissioner of the Dept. of Tourism.

Mr Ottley said, "In reviewing the request on schedule submitted, all show intent to start sailing in January 2021. Our final consolidated schedule has 150 WICO calls for the period starting from January 2 to September 23, 2021. However, WICO has not received any commitment for sailing to the territory from any cruise line before January 2021."

Preparations


Mr Ottley told the board that in preparation to welcome ships back into the territory, WICO's marine staff has been conducting maintenance on the overall marine infrastructure, anticorrosion chipping, and the painting of steel components on hardware.

WICO board member Edward Thomas called for a motion to officially reopen the port that would supersede a March motion that instituted the port's closure. Mr Boschulte agreed the new resolution was a good idea, however he sought confirmation on protocols WICO had in place that would keep both tourists and residents safe.

In response, Mr Ottley said, "Particularly at WICO we have ordered PPE safety devices and masks, along with face shields, and we are looking at retrofitting the gates and booths so that we can have plexiglass up so that when the ships come back, we will have the least amount of physical engagement with them at the gates as possible." Mr Ottley also informed board members of a meeting scheduled for Friday between himself and V.I. Port Authority Executive Director Carlton Dowe, to discuss port reopening matters. VIPA manages the Crown Bay Port in St Thomas and the Ann E. Abramson Marine Facility in Frederiksted.

It must be noted that both WICO and the [US] VI Port Authority will need approval from the [US]VI Department of Health before being cleared to accept cruise ships.

Protocols to be finalised


WICO has provided the Department of Health with preliminary protocols which were presented by Norwegian and Royal Caribbean as a starting point to have discussions on the expectations of the cruise lines when they do come to the port. Mr Ottley said those protocols had not been finalised as official.

When questioned by board member Enrique Rodriguez on whether WICO has its own protocols for reopening the port, Mr Ottley confirmed that preliminary protocols were indeed in place pending any additional measures the ships may require.

"We are pretty much ready for the ships to return, but as I mentioned, we don't anticipate any ships coming for November, and it's still a bit up in the air for December. But we do feel confident that we should be seeing some sort of action in January," said Mr Ottely.

Mr Edward's motion to officially reopen WICO's port effective December 1, 2020, with all the appropriate protocols in place, was favorably voted on pending final reports from WICO's meeting with Mr Dowe and the Department of Health.

Newsletter

Related Articles

Beautiful Virgin Islands
0:00
0:00
Close
Sarah Ferguson Reportedly Retreats to Late Ex-Boyfriend's Swiss Chalet
Cristiano Ronaldo and Georgina Rodríguez Sign Prenup Protecting Their Separate Fortunes
Thieves Steal Antonello da Messina Renaissance Masterpieces From Sicilian Museum
Better.com Founder Who Fired 900 Employees on Zoom Is Ousted as CEO
Italian Speed Camera Issues Nearly 32,000 Fines in 10 Weeks, Worth More Than €3 Million
AI Manager at San Francisco Store Recommends Firing Human Employee
Google Launches Pixel 11 With Gemini AI at the Center of Its Hardware Strategy
Reform UK Unveils Plan to Cut Welfare Spending by More Than £50 Billion a Year
Prime Minister Andy Burnham Praised Extinction Rebellion for Doing a 'Great Service'
UK Wildfire Phone Alert Triggers Backlash as Users Switch Off Emergency Warnings
Heathrow Roads Reopen After Burst Water Main Floods Access to Terminals 2 and 3
Former NBA Players Enes Kanter Freedom and Royce White Say They Will Enter 2027 WNBA Draft
Former Cambridge Professor Jason Arday Found Dead Days After Resigning Amid Plagiarism Row
US Appeals Court Rules AI Agent's Website Actions Are Legally Attributed to the User
France's Constitutional Council Blocks Social Media Ban for Children Under 15
Liechtenstein Changes Royal Succession Rules to Allow Women to Inherit the Throne
Women Allege Rape and Sexual Abuse at British Army College for Teenage Recruits
Minnesota: Two independent investigators posed as Muslims (one wearing a burqa) and showed how they could vote in elections without identification.
China’s Kimi Launches AI-Focused Credit Card With Agricultural Bank of China and American Express
Former Labour Adviser Arrested on Suspicion of Spying for China Held Privileged Access as Top Party Donor
Turkish Parliament Passes Landmark Bill Granting Conditional Amnesty to Disarmed PKK Members
Donald Trump Warns FIFA Against Ousting Gianni Infantino Amid Revolt by Global Football Leaders
Jeff Bezos Joins Investor Group Closing In on $6 Billion Liverpool FC Stake
UK Councils to Receive Sweeping Planning Powers to Ban New Vape and Betting Shops
Russia’s A7 Builds a State-Linked Payments Network Beyond Western Sanctions
Hyper-Realistic Reborn Dolls Draw Collectors Seeking Comfort and Craft
Gen Z Cuts Back on Dating as a Night Out Nears $200
Patients Turn to Artificial Intelligence for Therapy as Psychiatrists Warn of Privacy and Clinical Risks
Couples Embrace ‘Sleep Divorce’ to Protect Rest and Reduce Tension
Meta Ordered to Pay $567 Million and Change Facebook and Instagram Safeguards for Children
Up to only 10 Months in Prison for Swedish Officer’s Murderer Sparks Anger
Success: Nvidia Turned Gaming Chips Into the Engine of the AI Boom
Jorge Messi, Lionel Messi’s Father and Longtime Agent, Dies at 68
AI’s Next Bottleneck Is Power, Not Just Nvidia Chips
Advertising trick: Pepsi’s Harrier Jet Commercial Led to a $700,000 Court Fight
Meta Raises AI Spending Target to as Much as $145bn Despite Pressure Over Returns
Danube Drought Exposes Nazi Wrecks and Pushes Central Europe’s Power System to the Brink
Joe Biden’s Cancer Has Spread Beyond His Bones, Hunter Biden Says
Air Traffic Control Outage Grounded Flights Across the Midwest
Why 2027 Could Be a Strong Year for Stocks—and Why the Forecast Is Fragile
Why Markets May Look Quiet in August After Big Tech Earnings
Australian Crew Evacuates Seriously Ill American From Antarctica in Midwinter Darkness
Trump’s Top General Seeks an Exit Strategy From Iran War, Report Says
Brock Lesnar Retires From Wrestling, Closing a Career of Rare Athletic Range and Lasting Controversy
Trump-Era Policy Shifts Test the Boundaries of U.S. Institutions
UK Drought Cuts Harvests and Raises Food-Security Fears
UFO: Pentagon Releases Video of Unidentified Object Tracked Over Middle East
US Health Secretary: “I’m Not Afraid of Germs — I Used to Snort Cocaine Off Toilet Seats”
Ukraine Tells Senate Republicans Its Drone War Offers a Blueprint for America
Weight-Loss Drug Boom Tests the Limits of Prescription Advertising Rules
×