Beautiful Virgin Islands

Friday, Nov 28, 2025

How Twitter Was Used To Defend Saudi Crown Prince Role In Khashoggi Case

How Twitter Was Used To Defend Saudi Crown Prince Role In Khashoggi Case

Such tweets were part of broad effort by Saudi accounts, working in both English and Arabic, to shape the public narrative around the role of the crown prince in Khashoggi's killing, according to researchers.
Saudi-based Twitter accounts using fake profile pictures, repetitive wording and spammy tactics sought to undermine the conclusion by US intelligence officials, made public Friday, that Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman "approved" the operation that led to the killing of Washington Post contributing columnist Jamal Khashoggi in 2018.

One element of the online influence campaign apparently targeted an American audience by directly responding to tweets by several U.S.-based news organizations, including The Post, both before and after the Biden administration declassified the intelligence report detailing U.S. conclusions about Khashoggi's killing. The Saudi accounts sought to deflect blame from the crown prince, often referred to as MBS, who is heir to the throne and effectively rules the kingdom.

"The case of Khashoggi is already closed with the criminals in jail for what they did," said a Twitter comment repeatedly posted on Saturday, replying separately to tweets by The Post, Bloomberg News and NBC News. Other similar, repetitive comments appeared on tweets by CNN, CBS News and The Los Angeles Times.

Such tweets were part of broad effort by Saudi accounts, working in both English and Arabic, to shape the public narrative around the role of the crown prince in Khashoggi's killing, according to researchers.

The source of the influence campaigns could not be definitively determined, said both independent researchers and Twitter, which said it had recently closed thousands of Saudi accounts for platform manipulation and other violations.

But the operation targeting tweets by American news organizations, using dozens of inauthentic accounts that previously had posted non-political content in Arabic, "aligns with operations the Saudis have conducted on social media in the past," according to an analysis by Advance Democracy, headed by former FBI analyst and Senate investigator Daniel Jones, who led the review of the CIA's torture program.

"The coordinated activity of the accounts posting about the recently released report on Jamal Khashoggi is easy to identify," Jones said. "In addition to the timing of the posts and the similarity of the content posted, the accounts almost exclusively post non-political content in Arabic to stay active, but then switch to making English language political posts in an attempt to rebut criticism appearing in English-language media."

The Saudi government did not respond to a request for comment on Tuesday.

Separately, Qatar-based disinformation researcher Marc Owen Jones found that more than 600 Twitter accounts - many of them apparently fake - used a hashtag in Arabic translated as "#thepeopleofthekingdomsupportthecrownprince" on the day before the intelligence report was released.

The day of the U.S. report's publication on Friday, thousands of accounts used two different misspellings of Khashoggi's name to push pro-Saudi messages critical of the United States, getting the misspellings to trend on Twitter within the kingdom, according to Jones. He said the misspellings likely were an attempt to evade attempts by Twitter to block disinformation on the subject.

The Saudi government long has sought to use mass media and technology to shape public narratives about major events and politically important themes, and government officials have found that manipulating Twitter allows them to take advantage of its power without imposing bans or other restrictions that might be seen as excessively oppressive, said Jones, an assistant professor at Hamad Bin Khalifa University in Qatar.

"With the rise of Mohammed bin Salman, who is young, he understands that social media is the next big thing in terms of communication," Marc Owen Jones said. (The crown prince is 35.)

Twitter said it has investigated and suspended about 3,500 accounts after they commented on the U.S. intelligence report, but the company was unable to say who or what is behind the influence campaign.

"Our internal teams have investigated and suspended any accounts engaged in platform manipulation and spammy activity in relation to this report, and we will continue to monitor this activity," said Sarah Harte, a Twitter spokesperson.

The messaging in the online influence campaigns echoed arguments made publicly by Saudi officials. Saudi courts have sentenced eight people to prison terms of up to 20 years for their roles in the killing. But two top aides to the crown prince whom Saudi prosecutors said played a central role in the plot were exonerated. The crown prince has denied knowing about the operation against Khashoggi.

The two-page U.S. intelligence report released Friday found differently, citing the absolute control the crown prince exerts over the kingdom and his "support for using violent measures to silence dissidents abroad, including Khashoggi." The Saudi government said it "completely rejects the negative, false and unacceptable assessment pertaining to the Kingdom's leadership."

Some of the same accounts also pushed pro-Saudi claims about women's rights, tourism in the nation and its role in neighboring Yemen's brutal civil war, while also praising the crown prince for his leadership.

For nearly a decade, the kingdom has boasted its high number of Saudi Twitter users: according to statistics database Statista, Saudi Arabia hosts more than 12 million users, the eighth leading country in terms of users as of January.

Alongside Snapchat, Twitter is the most popular social media platform in the country. Trending topics and hashtags are an important tool in framing debates and news inside the country - a tool that has been employed by Saud al-Qahtani, a powerful aide of the crown prince.

Qahtani is known by detractors as "The Lord of the Flies," a reference to an army of automated Twitter accounts - which he called "electronic flies" - that attack critics and respond to tweets questioning the rule of the crown prince, as well as his policies and any official government stance. The Advance Democracy report said the influence campaign targeting U.S. news organizations "particularly aligns with the work of Saud al-Qahtani, who is notorious for running an army of fake accounts."

Qahtani's own Twitter account was suspended in 2019, a year after the killing of Khashoggi, a Saudi insider who became a critic of the government. Qahtani was dismissed from his post after the assassination, but he was not one of those charged with a crime and reports suggest he remains close to the crown prince. The Trump administration imposed sanctions on him in 2018 for his part in the "planning and execution of the operation that led to the killing of Mr. Khashoggi."

Qahtani did not respond to emails seeking comment on Tuesday.

An effort to counter his army of automated accounts was launched by Omar Abdulaziz, a Saudi dissident residing in Canada. Abdulaziz runs the "bees" - an opposition network of volunteers that works to strengthen hashtags that the "flies" try to smother. These include hashtags on topics such as human and women's rights, criticisms of the crown prince and the Khashoggi killing.

Abdulaziz said fake accounts often swarm around tweets of activists and journalists who report on, criticize or denounce the Saudi establishment - especially the revered royal family, a red line when it comes to criticism inside the kingdom.

"They go after Bloomberg. They come after The Washington Post, of course, first, and on the New York Times, CNN, broadcasters, politicians, journalists," Abdulaziz said. "And they do a kind of directing."

Abdulaziz said from his experience, certain accounts would retweet the target using a quote from the original post - "as if they're giving direction to others that this is it: attack." What usually follows is a barrage of insult after insult, targeting the honor of the Twitter user and sending threats, particularly if the posters are Saudi.
Newsletter

Related Articles

Beautiful Virgin Islands
0:00
0:00
Close
250 Still Missing in the Massive Fire, 94 Killed. One Day After the Disaster: Survivor Rescued on the 16th Floor
Trump: National Guard Soldier Who Was Shot in Washington Has Died; Second Soldier Fighting for His Life
UK Chancellor Reeves Defends Tax Rises as Essential to Reduce Child Poverty and Stabilise Public Finances
No Evidence Found for Claim That UK Schools Are Shifting to Teaching American English
European Powers Urge Israel to Halt West Bank Settler Violence Amid Surge in Attacks
"I Would Have Given Her a Kidney": She Lent Bezos’s Ex-Wife $1,000 — and Received Millions in Return
European States Approve First-ever Military-Grade Surveillance Network via ESA
UK to Slash Key Pension Tax Perk, Targeting High Earners Under New Budget
UK Government Announces £150 Annual Cut to Household Energy Bills Through Levy Reforms
UK Court Hears Challenge to Ban on Palestine Action as Critics Decry Heavy-Handed Measures
Investors Rush Into UK Gilts and Sterling After Budget Eases Fiscal Concerns
UK to Raise Online Betting Taxes by £1.1 Billion Under New Budget — Firms Warn of Fallout
Lamine Yamal? The ‘Heir to Messi’ Lost to Barcelona — and the Kingdom Is in a Frenzy
Warner Music Group Drops Suit Against Suno, Launches Licensed AI-Music Deal
HP to Cut up to 6,000 Jobs Globally as It Ramps Up AI Integration
MediaWorld Sold iPad Air for €15 — Then Asked Customers to Return Them or Pay More
UK Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer Promises ‘Full-Time’ Education for All Children as School Attendance Slips
UK Extends Sugar Tax to Sweetened Milkshakes and Lattes in 2028 Health Push
UK Government Backs £49 Billion Plan for Heathrow Third Runway and Expansion
UK Gambling Firms Report £1bn Surge in Annual Profits as Pressure Mounts for Higher Betting Taxes
UK Shares Advance Ahead of Budget as Financials and Consumer Staples Lead Gains
Domino’s UK CEO Andrew Rennie Steps Down Amid Strategic Reset
UK Economy Stalls as Reeves Faces First Budget Test
UK Economy’s Weak Start Adds Pressure on Prime Minister Starmer
UK Government Acknowledges Billionaire Exodus Amid Tax Rise Concerns
UK Budget 2025: Markets Brace as Chancellor Faces Fiscal Tightrope
UK Unveils Strategic Plan to Secure Critical Mineral Supply Chains
UK Taskforce Calls for Radical Reset of Nuclear Regulation to Cut Costs and Accelerate Build
UK Government Launches Consultation on Major Overhaul of Settlement Rules
Google Struggles to Meet AI Demand as Infrastructure, Energy and Supply-Chain Gaps Deepen
Car Parts Leader Warns Europe Faces Heavy Job Losses in ‘Darwinian’ Auto Shake-Out
Arsenal Move Six Points Clear After Eze’s Historic Hat-Trick in Derby Rout
Wealthy New Yorkers Weigh Second Homes as the ‘Mamdani Effect’ Ripples Through Luxury Markets
Families Accuse OpenAI of Enabling ‘AI-Driven Delusions’ After Multiple Suicides
UK Unveils Critical-Minerals Strategy to Break China Supply-Chain Grip
Taylor Swift’s “The Fate of Ophelia” Extends U.K. No. 1 Run to Five Weeks
UK VPN Sign-Ups Surge by Over 1,400 % as Age-Verification Law Takes Effect
Former MEP Nathan Gill Jailed for Over Ten Years After Taking Pro-Russia Bribes
Majority of UK Entrepreneurs Regard Government as ‘Anti-Business’, Survey Shows
UK’s Starmer and US President Trump Align as Geneva Talks Probe Ukraine Peace Plan
UK Prime Minister Signals Former Prince Andrew Should Testify to US Epstein Inquiry
Royal Navy Deploys HMS Severn to Shadow Russian Corvette and Tanker Off UK Coast
China’s Wedding Boom: Nightclubs, Mountains and a Demographic Reset
Fugees Founding Member Pras Michel Sentenced to 14 Years in High-Profile US Foreign Influence Case
WhatsApp’s Unexpected Rise Reshapes American Messaging Habits
United States: Judge Dressed Up as Elvis During Hearings – and Was Forced to Resign
Johnson Blasts ‘Incoherent’ Covid Inquiry Findings Amid Report’s Harsh Critique of His Government
Lord Rothermere Secures £500 Million Deal to Acquire Telegraph Titles
Maduro Tightens Security Measures as U.S. Strike Threat Intensifies
U.S. Envoys Deliver Ultimatum to Ukraine: Sign Peace Deal by Thursday or Risk Losing American Support
×