Beautiful Virgin Islands

Saturday, Aug 22, 2026

Indigenous Residential School Scandal Rocks Canada's Self-Image

Indigenous Residential School Scandal Rocks Canada's Self-Image

Thousands died at the schools, and many were subjected to physical and sexual abuse, according to an investigative commission that concluded the Canadian government engaged in "cultural genocide."

As they learn more about their country's painful history of residential schools for indigenous children, many shocked Canadians are calling for further efforts to expose the truth as a way to move toward reconciliation.

"It's definitely a turning point," said Ghislain Picard, regional chief of the Assembly of First Nations of Quebec-Labrador.

"People are more responsive now," he said. "They want to know the truth" about this dark chapter of Canada's history.

The details of the forced assimilation and violence that was perpetrated at these institutions had reached a slightly larger audience of non-indigenous Canadians in the last several years, partly thanks to a 2015 report.

But widespread outrage has erupted in recent months after the discovery of hundreds of unmarked graves on the grounds of several such schools.

Tens of thousands of First Nations, Inuit and Metis children were forcibly enrolled in these Catholic schools all over the country from late in the 19th century until the 1990s, separated from their families and their cultures.

Thousands died at the schools, and many were subjected to physical and sexual abuse, according to an investigative commission that concluded the Canadian government engaged in "cultural genocide."

In 2008, Prime Minister Stephen Harper issued an apology on behalf of the Canadian people for indigenous boarding schools.

"It was predictable that one day we would discover something like this," said 33-year-old Montreal resident Marie Christine Boivin-Fournier, who said she was shocked at the findings.

But she has decided to turn that shock into action. Instead of gifts for her birthday earlier this month, Boivin-Fournier asked friends and family to donate to a fundraiser after learning more about "the residential schools, the colonial genocide and the disappearance of indigenous women and girls."

It was a "simple gesture," but meant a lot, said the Native Women's Shelter of Montreal, which the fundraiser benefitted.

"Actions are more important than words," said Nakuset, the shelter's director, who goes by just one name, calling such actions "reconciliaction." This is a play on words with reconciliation.

The organization received a lot of donations this year for Canada's July 1 national day, she said.

'Stolen'


While some Canadians have chosen to respond to the new information by supporting the indigenous community through monetary donations, others have turned their anger toward the Catholic Church.

Kim Verreault has even decided to leave the church entirely, beginning the formal process of apostasy to officially abandon the religion.

"I don't see the point of remaining in the Catholic religion," 49-year-old Verreault said, saying that the recent grave discoveries sealed her decision. "It's a gesture of commitment and also a message I want to send."

"Their territory was stolen, their children, their culture, their religion, their names and their lives. It was all taken. It's unacceptable," said Verreault, a Granby resident who was born into a Catholic family.

The discovery of the unmarked graves was a "major shock" to Canadian society, according to University of Montreal anthropology professor Marie-Pierre Bousquet.

"People realized (the legacy of residential schools) wasn't just black-and-white photos of classes of kids around the country. It became tangible, concrete," she said.

"This is not the image that Canadians have had of their country. This is not a country where children are buried in secret," Bousquet explained.

"They see (their country) as a great multicultural democracy, with a bright past, wide open spaces -- not a country built on genocide. We have finally realized that that is a myth. It's a very brutal revelation."

At universities, that realization has meant a sharp growth in the enrollment in native studies programs.

Enrollment in the Native Studies Department at the University of Alberta reached 40,000 as of the week of July 5, department professor Paul Gareau, who is Metis and originally from Saskatchewan, said.

Usually about 1,000 people per month take the course, he said.

"This 40,000 is indicative of people responding to something and I can only think it's the residential school discoveries," he said, amazed at the number.

"You know, that's huge," he said.

And Bosquet said she thinks more Canadians will want to "be informed" about the country's indigenous past as research on residential schools continues.

Experts estimate that some 150,000 children attended the residential schools and that more than 4,000 of them may have died at the institutions.

Newsletter

Related Articles

Beautiful Virgin Islands
0:00
0:00
Close
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
A Sleepless Night on Wall Street: Nasdaq to Begin Nearly Round-the-Clock Trading
"The First in the World": 69-Year-Old Protested Artificial Intelligence—and Went to Jail
Ukraine's Ousted Defence Minister Calls for Wartime Presidential Election
China’s Lifelike AI Humans Move From Livestreams Into Real-World Service Roles
Sarah Ferguson Reportedly Retreats to Late Ex-Boyfriend's Swiss Chalet
Cristiano Ronaldo and Georgina Rodríguez Sign Prenup Protecting Their Separate Fortunes
Thieves Steal Antonello da Messina Renaissance Masterpieces From Sicilian Museum
Better.com Founder Who Fired 900 Employees on Zoom Is Ousted as CEO
Italian Speed Camera Issues Nearly 32,000 Fines in 10 Weeks, Worth More Than €3 Million
AI Manager at San Francisco Store Recommends Firing Human Employee
Google Launches Pixel 11 With Gemini AI at the Center of Its Hardware Strategy
Reform UK Unveils Plan to Cut Welfare Spending by More Than £50 Billion a Year
Prime Minister Andy Burnham Praised Extinction Rebellion for Doing a 'Great Service'
UK Wildfire Phone Alert Triggers Backlash as Users Switch Off Emergency Warnings
Heathrow Roads Reopen After Burst Water Main Floods Access to Terminals 2 and 3
Former NBA Players Enes Kanter Freedom and Royce White Say They Will Enter 2027 WNBA Draft
Former Cambridge Professor Jason Arday Found Dead Days After Resigning Amid Plagiarism Row
US Appeals Court Rules AI Agent's Website Actions Are Legally Attributed to the User
France's Constitutional Council Blocks Social Media Ban for Children Under 15
Liechtenstein Changes Royal Succession Rules to Allow Women to Inherit the Throne
Women Allege Rape and Sexual Abuse at British Army College for Teenage Recruits
Minnesota: Two independent investigators posed as Muslims (one wearing a burqa) and showed how they could vote in elections without identification.
China’s Kimi Launches AI-Focused Credit Card With Agricultural Bank of China and American Express
Former Labour Adviser Arrested on Suspicion of Spying for China Held Privileged Access as Top Party Donor
Turkish Parliament Passes Landmark Bill Granting Conditional Amnesty to Disarmed PKK Members
Donald Trump Warns FIFA Against Ousting Gianni Infantino Amid Revolt by Global Football Leaders
Jeff Bezos Joins Investor Group Closing In on $6 Billion Liverpool FC Stake
UK Councils to Receive Sweeping Planning Powers to Ban New Vape and Betting Shops
Russia’s A7 Builds a State-Linked Payments Network Beyond Western Sanctions
Hyper-Realistic Reborn Dolls Draw Collectors Seeking Comfort and Craft
Gen Z Cuts Back on Dating as a Night Out Nears $200
Patients Turn to Artificial Intelligence for Therapy as Psychiatrists Warn of Privacy and Clinical Risks
Couples Embrace ‘Sleep Divorce’ to Protect Rest and Reduce Tension
Meta Ordered to Pay $567 Million and Change Facebook and Instagram Safeguards for Children
Up to only 10 Months in Prison for Swedish Officer’s Murderer Sparks Anger
Success: Nvidia Turned Gaming Chips Into the Engine of the AI Boom
Jorge Messi, Lionel Messi’s Father and Longtime Agent, Dies at 68
AI’s Next Bottleneck Is Power, Not Just Nvidia Chips
×