Beautiful Virgin Islands

Saturday, Aug 22, 2026

Now Harry turns fire on ‘dangerous’ Camilla in incendiary US interview

Now Harry turns fire on ‘dangerous’ Camilla in incendiary US interview

‘She was the third person in marriage … she needed to rehabilitate image’

Prince Harry risked deepening his rift with his father on Monday after describing Camilla as “the villain” and “dangerous” in his latest TV interview.

The duke made a series of claims about the Queen Consort on the CBS show 60 Minutes. It had previously been claimed that criticism of Camilla was seen by Charles as a “red line” — raising fears that Harry’s relationship with his father could be irrecoverably damaged.

He told US interviewer Anderson Cooper: “She was the villain, she was a third person in the marriage, she needed to rehabilitate her image.”

He added: “The need for her to rehabilitate her image... that made her dangerous because of the connections that she was forging within the British press. And there was open willingness on both sides to trade information and with a family built on hierarchy, and with her on the way to being Queen Consort, there was going to be people or bodies left in the street because of that.”

The duke writes in his memoir Spare how he and William begged the King not to marry Camilla, and he told Mr Cooper: “We didn’t think it was necessary. We thought it would do more harm than good.”

In the interview Harry also hinted that he and wife Meghan will never give up their royal titles, asking “what difference would that make?”


Harry spoke about the royal family’s mistrust of his wife Meghan Markle in the interview with Anderson Cooper

The claims about his stepmother are among several bombshell statements made by Harry on Sunday night including:

- He was not invited on the royal plane taking family members to Balmoral on the day the Queen died.

- He watched videos of his mother to try to make himself cry.

- He believes taking psychedelic drugs can help people dealing with loss and grief.

- He admitted he had not spoken to his brother or father “in a while”.

Harry was challenged on his view of the Queen Consort during his ITV interview on Sunday night with Tom Bradby, who accused him of being “scathing” towards her in the book but he insisted he was simply being “very clear” about what happened and in Spare described how Camilla “began to play the long game”.

He wrote she clearly had a plan that included “a campaign aimed at marriage, and eventually the Crown, with Pa’s blessing we presumed”.

In a different interview in the US with ABC's Good Morning America broadcast on Monday the Duke of Sussex claimed the Queen Consort "sacrificed me on her personal PR altar" but also sympathised with her, saying that she is not an "evil stepmother".

He said: "I have a huge amount of compassion for her, you know. Being the third person within my parents' marriage and she had a reputation, or an image, to rehabilitate.

"Whatever conversations happened, whatever deals or trading was made right at the beginning, she was led to believe that that would be the best way of doing it."

Harry’s pointed reference to his stepmother as the “third person in the marriage” is being seen as a deliberate reminder of how she has rebuilt her public reputation following her affair with Charles. The now King confessed to adultery in 1994 in a TV interview but said it only happened after his marriage had “irretrievably broken down”.

Harry and wife Meghan and William, Kate and Charles at a Christmas Day morning church service at Sandringham 

The following year Diana famously told the BBC Panorama documentary “Well, there were three of us in this marriage, so it was a bit crowded,” a reference to Camilla.

After Charles and Camilla both divorced their respective partners — and Diana died in a Paris crash in 1997 — the duchess’s emergence as the prince’s long-term partner was part of a carefully-planned PR campaign. Camilla, who married Charles in 2005 and has spent more than 17 years as a member of the royal family, was endorsed by the late Queen to be Queen Consort on the eve of her Platinum Jubilee in February 2022.

The claims are the latest in a series made by Harry in advance of Tuesday’s publication of his book.

These have included details of drug use, his service in Afghanistan, losing his virginity behind a country pub and how a row over his wife ended in an alleged violent argument, with his brother knocking him to the ground at his London home.

Harry, who is said to have been paid $20 million for the book, appeared to backtrack on claims made during his interview with Oprah Winfrey that a member of the royal family made a racist comment about his son Archie, instead claiming it was “the British press” that made the allegation.

Harry also blamed journalists for the state of his relationship with his brother, telling Mr Cooper that the pair would be “a hell of a lot closer” if it wasn’t for press interference.

He said: “I don’t know where William and I would be on a relationship level if the British press weren’t involved, but we would certainly be a hell of a lot closer than we are now. (William’s) life is very much chosen for him. Perhaps my life wasn’t chosen for me.

“But equally I felt like I needed to make something of my life so that I didn’t end up as a spare spare.”

Asked about how Diana would feel about the relationship between the brothers, he replied: “I think she’ll be sad that it is where it is now. I believe that she would want reconciliation, and I hope that is what’s achievable.”

Asked if he could see a day when he would return as a full-time member of the royal family, Harry said: “I can’t see that happening”.

Questioned by Mr Cooper if the “rupture” with his family could ever be healed, he said: “Yes, the ball is very much in their court”.

Both Buckingham Palace and Kensington Palace have refused to comment on Harry’s interviews and the excerpts from the book, though sources close to the King have made it clear he will not read the book or watch the interviews.

On Monday author Omid Scobie, who is close to Harry and Meghan, said the duke is clearly “very confident in the story that he’s telling” and that it has taken him a long time to get to this point.

He was asked on BBC Radio 4’s Today programme if he gets the feeling from the couple’s team that this is how they intend to continue, “that there will be more salvos of this kind, that this is what their brand is going to be”.

Mr Scobie said he thinks the couple “have to be quite careful right now”, adding there has been a lot of focus on their private life and the brand has been “very much about drama” that has been played out very publicly.

Newsletter

Related Articles

Beautiful Virgin Islands
0:00
0:00
Close
The rise and fall of Hui Ka Yan, China’s richest man
Woke: Britain Considers Plain Packaging for Cigars as Specialist Shops Warn of Industry Collapse
Britain's Public-Service Productivity Remains Below 2019 as £80 Billion Output Gap Fuels WFH Debate
Mandelson Epstein Case in Jeopardy as U.S. Files Stay Out of Reach
Prince Harry and Six Others Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million After High Court Defeat
Petrol Bombs Set Luxury Cars Alight Outside Birmingham Wedding as Police Hunt Three Men
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
A Sleepless Night on Wall Street: Nasdaq to Begin Nearly Round-the-Clock Trading
"The First in the World": 69-Year-Old Protested Artificial Intelligence—and Went to Jail
Ukraine's Ousted Defence Minister Calls for Wartime Presidential Election
China’s Lifelike AI Humans Move From Livestreams Into Real-World Service Roles
Sarah Ferguson Reportedly Retreats to Late Ex-Boyfriend's Swiss Chalet
Cristiano Ronaldo and Georgina Rodríguez Sign Prenup Protecting Their Separate Fortunes
Thieves Steal Antonello da Messina Renaissance Masterpieces From Sicilian Museum
Better.com Founder Who Fired 900 Employees on Zoom Is Ousted as CEO
Italian Speed Camera Issues Nearly 32,000 Fines in 10 Weeks, Worth More Than €3 Million
AI Manager at San Francisco Store Recommends Firing Human Employee
Google Launches Pixel 11 With Gemini AI at the Center of Its Hardware Strategy
Reform UK Unveils Plan to Cut Welfare Spending by More Than £50 Billion a Year
Prime Minister Andy Burnham Praised Extinction Rebellion for Doing a 'Great Service'
UK Wildfire Phone Alert Triggers Backlash as Users Switch Off Emergency Warnings
Heathrow Roads Reopen After Burst Water Main Floods Access to Terminals 2 and 3
Former NBA Players Enes Kanter Freedom and Royce White Say They Will Enter 2027 WNBA Draft
Former Cambridge Professor Jason Arday Found Dead Days After Resigning Amid Plagiarism Row
US Appeals Court Rules AI Agent's Website Actions Are Legally Attributed to the User
France's Constitutional Council Blocks Social Media Ban for Children Under 15
Liechtenstein Changes Royal Succession Rules to Allow Women to Inherit the Throne
Women Allege Rape and Sexual Abuse at British Army College for Teenage Recruits
Minnesota: Two independent investigators posed as Muslims (one wearing a burqa) and showed how they could vote in elections without identification.
China’s Kimi Launches AI-Focused Credit Card With Agricultural Bank of China and American Express
Former Labour Adviser Arrested on Suspicion of Spying for China Held Privileged Access as Top Party Donor
Turkish Parliament Passes Landmark Bill Granting Conditional Amnesty to Disarmed PKK Members
Donald Trump Warns FIFA Against Ousting Gianni Infantino Amid Revolt by Global Football Leaders
Jeff Bezos Joins Investor Group Closing In on $6 Billion Liverpool FC Stake
UK Councils to Receive Sweeping Planning Powers to Ban New Vape and Betting Shops
Russia’s A7 Builds a State-Linked Payments Network Beyond Western Sanctions
Hyper-Realistic Reborn Dolls Draw Collectors Seeking Comfort and Craft
Gen Z Cuts Back on Dating as a Night Out Nears $200
Patients Turn to Artificial Intelligence for Therapy as Psychiatrists Warn of Privacy and Clinical Risks
×