Beautiful Virgin Islands

Saturday, Aug 22, 2026

Sunak's discount dining scheme boosts restaurants

Sunak's discount dining scheme boosts restaurants

The Eat Out to Help Out initiative has already made a significant difference to booking levels in its first week

Restaurants and pubs enjoyed a much-needed uplift in visitors this week as the prospect of a half price meal encouraged people out of their homes.

More than 73,000 restaurants have signed up to the ‘eat out to help out’ scheme which launched this week and gives customers a 50pc discount on their food bill when they dine in from Monday to Wednesday throughout August.



The Government funded initiative, which is capped at £10 per head, has already made a significant difference to booking levels at many restaurants.

“Demand has been incredible, we could probably have sold the table three times over,” Will Beckett, co-founder of steak chain Hawksmoor, says. “We’ve got around 15,500 bookings for the 13 days across August [when the scheme is running], so we’re really pleased with it.”



The boss of one major pub chain says he expects to see a double digit increase in bookings as a result of the scheme.

Mark Selby, co-founder of Wahaca, says restaurant covers during Monday to Wednesday, typically quiet days for the sector, are now 50 to 100pc higher than usual.

“I wasn't sure how many people were going to take it up and so far there's been a really positive pick up,” he says.

“For a lot of people, who haven’t eaten out since lockdown restrictions were eased, this has given them a reason to go out and given them some confidence.”



Such is the success of the scheme that some operators have chosen to foot at least some of the bill themselves. Supermarket Morrisons is extending the initiative at its cafes throughout the entire week and will subsidise the discount from Thursday to Sunday, while Whitbread has removed the £10 cap from its restaurants so diners will get a full 50pc discount, regardless of how much they spend.

Even higher end restaurants have stepped in with their own improvements. At Hawksmoor, where most bills generally exceed £50 per head, diners can now get a steak, chips and sauce of their choice for £10 from Monday to Wednesday throughout August. Beckett says by passing on the VAT reduction and an additional discount, a meal which would normally cost around £30 will now be a third of the price.

Sceptics say that the rush to take advantage of the discount at the beginning of the week could lead to even more subdued sales at the weekend.

Restaurants generally need to operate at around 80pc capacity just to break even, but social distancing requirements and weak consumer confidence mean outlets are currently running at anywhere between 20 and 80pc.

Andrei Lussmann, founder and director of Lussmanns, a group of fish restaurants backed by investor Luke Johnson, says that while the scheme might mean weaker demand at weekends, its biggest impact will be to drive consumer confidence.

“Thursdays have definitely taken a hit, so it might well be that you have a really bad day on Thursday and then weekends are not quite as busy as they have been,” Lussman says.

“That's not to say that it's not a good scheme. Anything that engages and ignites some interest and motivates people to come out and eat has got to be a good thing.”

The real impact of the initiative is yet to be felt, but some operators are worried about what bookings will look like from September once the scheme ends and the temperature starts to cool, making outdoor seating a less attractive option.

“I am worried, don't get me wrong,” Wahaca’s Selby admits. “Before this, sales weren't in the best of places.”

Figures from data experts Springboard show that visitors to UK retail destinations rose by 7.8pc between Monday and Wednesday lunchtime compared with a week earlier. However, the increase is skewed by a weak comparison, Springboard said, with heavy rain on Monday last week meaning more people stayed at home.

Meanwhile, footfall remains significantly lower than pre-Covid levels, with visitors down by almost a third compared with the same period a year earlier.

Restaurateurs admit that while the Chancellor’s discount scheme is unlikely to translate to an increase in profits in most cases, the bigger achievement is to make people comfortable about visiting restaurants again and prove they are safe and clean places to go.

“The best we can hope for is that this scheme gives people the confidence to come out and feel safe in a restaurant while having a great experience,” Selby adds.

“If that can be the legacy of this, then it's been a great success."

Newsletter

Related Articles

Beautiful Virgin Islands
0:00
0:00
Close
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
A Sleepless Night on Wall Street: Nasdaq to Begin Nearly Round-the-Clock Trading
"The First in the World": 69-Year-Old Protested Artificial Intelligence—and Went to Jail
Ukraine's Ousted Defence Minister Calls for Wartime Presidential Election
China’s Lifelike AI Humans Move From Livestreams Into Real-World Service Roles
Sarah Ferguson Reportedly Retreats to Late Ex-Boyfriend's Swiss Chalet
Cristiano Ronaldo and Georgina Rodríguez Sign Prenup Protecting Their Separate Fortunes
Thieves Steal Antonello da Messina Renaissance Masterpieces From Sicilian Museum
Better.com Founder Who Fired 900 Employees on Zoom Is Ousted as CEO
Italian Speed Camera Issues Nearly 32,000 Fines in 10 Weeks, Worth More Than €3 Million
AI Manager at San Francisco Store Recommends Firing Human Employee
Google Launches Pixel 11 With Gemini AI at the Center of Its Hardware Strategy
Reform UK Unveils Plan to Cut Welfare Spending by More Than £50 Billion a Year
Prime Minister Andy Burnham Praised Extinction Rebellion for Doing a 'Great Service'
UK Wildfire Phone Alert Triggers Backlash as Users Switch Off Emergency Warnings
Heathrow Roads Reopen After Burst Water Main Floods Access to Terminals 2 and 3
Former NBA Players Enes Kanter Freedom and Royce White Say They Will Enter 2027 WNBA Draft
Former Cambridge Professor Jason Arday Found Dead Days After Resigning Amid Plagiarism Row
US Appeals Court Rules AI Agent's Website Actions Are Legally Attributed to the User
France's Constitutional Council Blocks Social Media Ban for Children Under 15
Liechtenstein Changes Royal Succession Rules to Allow Women to Inherit the Throne
Women Allege Rape and Sexual Abuse at British Army College for Teenage Recruits
Minnesota: Two independent investigators posed as Muslims (one wearing a burqa) and showed how they could vote in elections without identification.
China’s Kimi Launches AI-Focused Credit Card With Agricultural Bank of China and American Express
Former Labour Adviser Arrested on Suspicion of Spying for China Held Privileged Access as Top Party Donor
Turkish Parliament Passes Landmark Bill Granting Conditional Amnesty to Disarmed PKK Members
Donald Trump Warns FIFA Against Ousting Gianni Infantino Amid Revolt by Global Football Leaders
Jeff Bezos Joins Investor Group Closing In on $6 Billion Liverpool FC Stake
UK Councils to Receive Sweeping Planning Powers to Ban New Vape and Betting Shops
Russia’s A7 Builds a State-Linked Payments Network Beyond Western Sanctions
Hyper-Realistic Reborn Dolls Draw Collectors Seeking Comfort and Craft
Gen Z Cuts Back on Dating as a Night Out Nears $200
Patients Turn to Artificial Intelligence for Therapy as Psychiatrists Warn of Privacy and Clinical Risks
Couples Embrace ‘Sleep Divorce’ to Protect Rest and Reduce Tension
Meta Ordered to Pay $567 Million and Change Facebook and Instagram Safeguards for Children
Up to only 10 Months in Prison for Swedish Officer’s Murderer Sparks Anger
Success: Nvidia Turned Gaming Chips Into the Engine of the AI Boom
Jorge Messi, Lionel Messi’s Father and Longtime Agent, Dies at 68
AI’s Next Bottleneck Is Power, Not Just Nvidia Chips
×