Beautiful Virgin Islands

Saturday, Aug 22, 2026

New waste strategy rehashes old goals

New waste strategy rehashes old goals

In 2013 the government adopted a comprehensive strategy to overhaul the territory’s waste management system from the ground up.

Most of its plans were not accomplished, but now leaders are hosting public consultations on a new draft strategy that includes many of the same goals - while also incorporating lessons from hurricanes Irma and Maria.

Neville Allen, the director of the Department of Waste Management, said the implementation of the new policy should be an urgent priority.

“We can’t keep up with the amount of garbage that’s coming in,” he said during an April 28 virtual panel discussion that kicked off the consultations. “It seems every ten years we’ll have to invest in a new incinerator.”

Much of the draft National Waste Management Strategy is now public — though some sections have not been released (see end of article) — and government plans to continue hosting consultations and accepting input through the end of June.

Like the 2013 plan, the new strategy recommends establishing the DWM as a statutory body; developing solar-powered recovery facilities to sort waste; implementing composting systems for organics; and helping fund the efforts with fees designed to encourage sustainability, among many other measures.

Charlotte McDevitt, executive director of the non-profit Green VI, told the Beacon on Tuesday that a sound waste management plan is essential for any country in the world.

“There’ve been numerous strategies developed, but nothing has gone through a formal development,” she said. “We see our role as being catalysts.”

She added that she thinks the newly proposed strategy is fair, and that materials management — which includes shipping cars, vessels and electronics out of the territory — would account for 60 to 80 percent of the territory’s waste. The remainder, which the plan refers to as “residues,” would need to go into the incinerator or landfills.

Cost questions


The full cost of the new strategy is not stated, but the consultants who drafted the 2013 version estimated that their recommendations would have cost some $19.8 million over the course of six years — a price tag they said would be offset by about 21 percent because of reduced use of the incinerator.

Though the new plan doesn’t include a corresponding overall cost, it does put price tags on various recommended initiatives, including $1.5 million for capacity building, $1.7 million for the construction of waste reception facilities, $1.35 million for the construction of a material recovery facility, $25 million for a “state-of-the-art incinerator with full-stack gas treatment and energy recovery,” and $3.7 million for a sanitary landfill.

During the panel discussion last week, Health and Social Development Minister Carvin Malone said the public consultations on the new plan had been delayed for a year and a half due to the pandemic.

In 2018, he explained, the Swiss firm Agency for Resilience, Empowerment and Development was contracted to draft the strategy, which was completed in 2019.

“There have been public consultations scheduled since last February,” he added.

Mr. Malone said that waste management is “critical to healthy environments” and that the territory desperately needs “more effective ways to collect and process” waste.


Seven R’s


Also during the panel discussion, Noni Georges, a Virgin Islands lawyer who helped draft the strategy, outlined the “seven Rs” upon which she said the public policy is based: Rethink, reform, restrict, reduce, recycle, reuse and return. She explained each step in detail.

The first step, “rethink,” focuses on “the way we look at how waste is generated and treated” and falls under one of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals, Ms. Georges said.

“The world is moving away from linear economies towards a circular economy,” she explained. “Instead of ‘buy, use and dispose,’ the concept is to close the loop to ‘reduce, reuse and recycle’ resources. We need to close the loop and make sure these materials go back into the economic system.”

The “Materials Management Plan” posted online outlines how source separation will be “legally enshrined,” she added.

“It also includes climate change mitigation, social equity, polluter-pay principle, real-cost-based pricing, and the protection of social health and the public environment,” she said.

Laws, infrastructure


The next step, “reform,” would begin with legislation, she explained. The policy proposes setting up the DWM as a statutory body as well as requiring licences for waste haulers “to ensure quality of service and accountability,” according to Ms. Georges.

Reform would also include infrastructural reforms to handle materials differently, like glass crushers, composters for organic waste, sorting centres, a properly engineered landfill, and waste fees.

“We’re reforming everything, basically,” she said.

“Restrict” would prohibit certain items from coming into the territory, including plastics and Styrofoam.

In November 2018, government banned food and drink containers made of non-compostable plastics, as well as non-biodegradable single-use plastic bags. Eco-friendly alternatives to such products were exempted from import duties for five years.

The next step, “reduce,” would focus on reducing and replacing disposable items with reusable ones, Ms. Georges explained.

“Businesses have started reusing plastic and turning it to other material,” she said. “Some make them into plastic bags or polywood.”

Recycling, another component of the NWMS, aims to re-make items into the same items in the territory. Materials like glass and aluminium would be “good examples,” she said.

The final “R,” “return,” refers to the collection of materials to be shipped off island and then returned to the territory as a recycled product, Ms. Georges explained.

The goal, she added, is for the territory to be “clean and beautiful.”

Other long-term goals, she said, are to implement as much door-to-door collection as possible, erect bins for bulk waste where needed, and decrease the use of communal bins for household trash.


‘Upsurge of waste’


Mr. Malone also explained some of the challenges the territory has faced in waste management.

“From the time we moved to a tourism destination, we’ve seen an upsurge of waste,” he said. “We’ve moved the dumpsite four times. It’s unsustainable. We have to find modern ways. Everyone wants to have it disposed of properly, but ‘not in my backyard.’”

Also during the panel discussion, members of the public were encouraged to call in and ask questions about the strategy. Some callers asked about the involvement of recycling partners like Green VI and private companies. Officials responded that the DWM is working closely with such partners.

Mr. Malone also addressed the issue of waste last Thursday in the House of Assembly, listing various efforts that have been ongoing.

“Since the Covid-19 lockdown, the We Recycle Programme, with funding from the Department of Waste Management and in partnership with Green VI, increased the number of recycling collection points to 46 territory-wide,” he said. “Since November 2020, 2.2 million plastic water bottles have been diverted from Pockwood Pond.”

He added that the Ministry of Health and Social Development exported more than 1,800 derelict vehicles to Colombia in February, and that efforts to “aggressively tag and collect remaining derelict vehicles” on all the major islands are underway.

In his speech, Mr. Malone also said that the incinerator is “functional and back online.”

“This is expected to alleviate the burden of frequent spontaneous open fires, but much work remains to be done to ensure that the emissions are not a nuisance and health hazard,” he said. “The illusive [pollution-control] scrubber must and will be delivered and installed. The ministry continues to pursue this scrubber without risking the loss of the country’s resources.”

He added that the government has “re-opened dialogue with the manufacturer on the delivery and installation of the scrubber.”


Newsletter

Related Articles

Beautiful Virgin Islands
0:00
0:00
Close
Petrol Bombs Set Luxury Cars Alight Outside Birmingham Wedding as Police Hunt Three Men
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
A Sleepless Night on Wall Street: Nasdaq to Begin Nearly Round-the-Clock Trading
"The First in the World": 69-Year-Old Protested Artificial Intelligence—and Went to Jail
Ukraine's Ousted Defence Minister Calls for Wartime Presidential Election
China’s Lifelike AI Humans Move From Livestreams Into Real-World Service Roles
Sarah Ferguson Reportedly Retreats to Late Ex-Boyfriend's Swiss Chalet
Cristiano Ronaldo and Georgina Rodríguez Sign Prenup Protecting Their Separate Fortunes
Thieves Steal Antonello da Messina Renaissance Masterpieces From Sicilian Museum
Better.com Founder Who Fired 900 Employees on Zoom Is Ousted as CEO
Italian Speed Camera Issues Nearly 32,000 Fines in 10 Weeks, Worth More Than €3 Million
AI Manager at San Francisco Store Recommends Firing Human Employee
Google Launches Pixel 11 With Gemini AI at the Center of Its Hardware Strategy
Reform UK Unveils Plan to Cut Welfare Spending by More Than £50 Billion a Year
Prime Minister Andy Burnham Praised Extinction Rebellion for Doing a 'Great Service'
UK Wildfire Phone Alert Triggers Backlash as Users Switch Off Emergency Warnings
Heathrow Roads Reopen After Burst Water Main Floods Access to Terminals 2 and 3
Former NBA Players Enes Kanter Freedom and Royce White Say They Will Enter 2027 WNBA Draft
Former Cambridge Professor Jason Arday Found Dead Days After Resigning Amid Plagiarism Row
US Appeals Court Rules AI Agent's Website Actions Are Legally Attributed to the User
France's Constitutional Council Blocks Social Media Ban for Children Under 15
Liechtenstein Changes Royal Succession Rules to Allow Women to Inherit the Throne
Women Allege Rape and Sexual Abuse at British Army College for Teenage Recruits
Minnesota: Two independent investigators posed as Muslims (one wearing a burqa) and showed how they could vote in elections without identification.
China’s Kimi Launches AI-Focused Credit Card With Agricultural Bank of China and American Express
Former Labour Adviser Arrested on Suspicion of Spying for China Held Privileged Access as Top Party Donor
Turkish Parliament Passes Landmark Bill Granting Conditional Amnesty to Disarmed PKK Members
Donald Trump Warns FIFA Against Ousting Gianni Infantino Amid Revolt by Global Football Leaders
Jeff Bezos Joins Investor Group Closing In on $6 Billion Liverpool FC Stake
UK Councils to Receive Sweeping Planning Powers to Ban New Vape and Betting Shops
Russia’s A7 Builds a State-Linked Payments Network Beyond Western Sanctions
Hyper-Realistic Reborn Dolls Draw Collectors Seeking Comfort and Craft
Gen Z Cuts Back on Dating as a Night Out Nears $200
Patients Turn to Artificial Intelligence for Therapy as Psychiatrists Warn of Privacy and Clinical Risks
Couples Embrace ‘Sleep Divorce’ to Protect Rest and Reduce Tension
Meta Ordered to Pay $567 Million and Change Facebook and Instagram Safeguards for Children
Up to only 10 Months in Prison for Swedish Officer’s Murderer Sparks Anger
Success: Nvidia Turned Gaming Chips Into the Engine of the AI Boom
Jorge Messi, Lionel Messi’s Father and Longtime Agent, Dies at 68
×