Beautiful Virgin Islands

Saturday, Aug 22, 2026

The US Department of Justice has demanded that Britain hand over Prince Andrew to be questioned over his links to Jeffrey Epstein

The US has officially demanded Britain hand over Prince Andrew to be quizzed over his links to billionaire paedophile pal Jeffrey Epstein. And in a bombshell move, the Department of Justice has formally told the UK the Duke of York is now caught up in a criminal probe for the first time.

Very awkward for Britain. 

Must feel strange for UK to be treated as a colony after centuries of being a colonizer. 

This story should run side by side with the story of the wife of American intelligence officer (with no diplomatic immunity) who killed a boy in a car accident in London and smuggled out by US government to avoid standing trial in UK.

Andrew, 60, has so far refused to be quizzed by New York prosecutors investigating Epstein’s evil historic sex trafficking network but strongly denies any wrongdoing.


Until now it was thought he was only likely to be the target of action by Epstein’s victims in the US civil courts.

One - Virginia Roberts Giuffre, now 36 - alleges she had sex with Andrew on three occasions between 2001 and 2002, twice while underage. However Andrew denies this.

But now The Sun can reveal the US Department of Justice has dramatically upped the stakes.

It has by-passed Buckingham Palace - instead filing a “mutual legal assistance” (MLA) request to the Home Office.

MLA requests are only used in criminal cases under a legal treaty with the UK.

It means Andrew, who “categorically denies” any wrongdoing, could now be forced to appear in a UK court as a witness within months.

The move also piles pressure on the Duke to give evidence - and on the UK Government to assist.

'DIPLOMATIC NIGHTMARE'

The Sun understands no decision on the explosive request has yet been made by British officials.

And sources said it was unlikely Andrew would be aware of the MLA request at this stage because countries are legally obliged to keep them secret.

But a source said: “It’s a huge statement of intent from the US and it moves Andrew into the realms of a criminal investigation.

“It’s also frankly a diplomatic nightmare.

“The DoJ does not make a request of this nature lightly, especially one involving a senior member of the British royal family.

“It puts the UK government in a very difficult position - and the Duke of York even even more so.”

The Sun has learned the request was formally lodged by the DoJ last month under the terms of a 1994 MLA treaty.

If granted, US prosecutors would have two options.

The first, typically only used for witnesses to crimes, would see the Duke asked to voluntarily attend an interview and give a signed statement. Crucially, this would NOT be under oath.

But sources say angry American investigators - frustrated at what they see as a lack of cooperation from the Queen’s son to date - have the power to pursue an explosive second route.

That would see Andrew asked to attend London’s City of Westminster Magistrates’ Court to provide oral or written evidence on oath.

If he refused, the Duke could be forced to attend in person by summons, with DoJ lawyers able to quiz him.

Andrew, unlike the Queen, does not hold sovereign immunity from prosecution.

But any evidence session could be held “in camera” - privately, with no press or public present.

He would still have the right to “take the Fifth” by staying silent to avoid self-incrimination.

MLA requests filed to the UK in criminal matters are always dealt with by the Home Office.

They are rarely used in civil matters, but if they are, any request has to be filed to the Foreign Office instead.

American legal experts have already warned that any decision by Andrew to remain silent could badly backfire.

Last month ex-federal prosecutor Evan T Barr told a top US law journal: “While the Prince would retain the right to decline to testify under the Fifth Amendment to the United States Constitution, the impact on his already diminished reputation would be considerable and an adverse inference could be drawn against him in the related civil litigations, leading to a possible default judgment.”

CAREER IN RUINS

Andrew stepped down as a senior royal after his disastrous Newsnight interview last November.

It aimed to clear the air, but the “car crash” exchange with BBC presenter Emily Maitlis instead has seen his career left in ruins.

During the interview, Andrew said he would help the US investigation if his “legal advice was to do so”.

But in January, Geoffrey Berman, the US attorney for the Southern District of New York leading the Epstein inquiry, said the Duke had “provided zero co-operation”.

Two months later Mr Berman said the Duke had “now completely shut the door on voluntary co-operation”.

And in a hint of what was to come, Mr Berman warned: “Our office is considering its options.”

Andrew’s aides hit back, insisting his lawyers had been in touch with prosecutors since the beginning of the year.

Mr Berman’s office admitted there had been “communications through his attorneys”.

But they said Andrew’s lawyers had made it clear he was still “not willing to submit to an interview”.

Timeline of trouble

1999: Andrew introduced to Epstein through Ghislaine Maxwell. He is invited to Balmoral.
2000: Duke joins pair at Donald Trump’s Florida resort. Epstein a guest at Windsor Castle.
2001: Virginia Roberts Giuffre, then 17, claims Epstein trafficked her to London where she had sex with Andrew at Ghislaine’s flat.
2005: Florida police launch probe into claims Epstein paid underage girls for sex at his home.
2006: Epstein attends Beatrice’s 18th party shortly after warrant is issued for his arrest.
2008: Epstein admits prostituting minors and gets 18 months’ jail.
2010: Released and Andrew stays at his New York home.
2011: Duke quits as UK trade envoy over Epstein links.
2015: Ms Giuffre names Andrew in legal papers. Claims later struck from US civil court records.2019: Legal papers reveal Johanna Sjoberg claims royal touched her breast at Epstein’s home in 2001.
JULY 2019: Epstein sex trafficking arrest.AUG 2019: He dies in jail. Andrew “appalled” by claims against his pal, adding “at no stage” did he “see or suspect” any criminal behaviour.
NOV 2019: BBC airs Andrew “car crash” interview. Charities cut ties. He quits as senior royal.
JAN 2020: US prosecutor Geoffrey Berman accuses Andrew of zero cooperation. In March he says royal has “shut the door” on helping.
APRIL 2020: US prosecutors open talks with the Home Office, revealed by The Sun today.



Newsletter

Related Articles

Beautiful Virgin Islands
0:00
0:00
Close
Petrol Bombs Set Luxury Cars Alight Outside Birmingham Wedding as Police Hunt Three Men
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
A Sleepless Night on Wall Street: Nasdaq to Begin Nearly Round-the-Clock Trading
"The First in the World": 69-Year-Old Protested Artificial Intelligence—and Went to Jail
Ukraine's Ousted Defence Minister Calls for Wartime Presidential Election
China’s Lifelike AI Humans Move From Livestreams Into Real-World Service Roles
Sarah Ferguson Reportedly Retreats to Late Ex-Boyfriend's Swiss Chalet
Cristiano Ronaldo and Georgina Rodríguez Sign Prenup Protecting Their Separate Fortunes
Thieves Steal Antonello da Messina Renaissance Masterpieces From Sicilian Museum
Better.com Founder Who Fired 900 Employees on Zoom Is Ousted as CEO
Italian Speed Camera Issues Nearly 32,000 Fines in 10 Weeks, Worth More Than €3 Million
AI Manager at San Francisco Store Recommends Firing Human Employee
Google Launches Pixel 11 With Gemini AI at the Center of Its Hardware Strategy
Reform UK Unveils Plan to Cut Welfare Spending by More Than £50 Billion a Year
Prime Minister Andy Burnham Praised Extinction Rebellion for Doing a 'Great Service'
UK Wildfire Phone Alert Triggers Backlash as Users Switch Off Emergency Warnings
Heathrow Roads Reopen After Burst Water Main Floods Access to Terminals 2 and 3
Former NBA Players Enes Kanter Freedom and Royce White Say They Will Enter 2027 WNBA Draft
Former Cambridge Professor Jason Arday Found Dead Days After Resigning Amid Plagiarism Row
US Appeals Court Rules AI Agent's Website Actions Are Legally Attributed to the User
France's Constitutional Council Blocks Social Media Ban for Children Under 15
Liechtenstein Changes Royal Succession Rules to Allow Women to Inherit the Throne
Women Allege Rape and Sexual Abuse at British Army College for Teenage Recruits
Minnesota: Two independent investigators posed as Muslims (one wearing a burqa) and showed how they could vote in elections without identification.
China’s Kimi Launches AI-Focused Credit Card With Agricultural Bank of China and American Express
Former Labour Adviser Arrested on Suspicion of Spying for China Held Privileged Access as Top Party Donor
Turkish Parliament Passes Landmark Bill Granting Conditional Amnesty to Disarmed PKK Members
Donald Trump Warns FIFA Against Ousting Gianni Infantino Amid Revolt by Global Football Leaders
Jeff Bezos Joins Investor Group Closing In on $6 Billion Liverpool FC Stake
UK Councils to Receive Sweeping Planning Powers to Ban New Vape and Betting Shops
Russia’s A7 Builds a State-Linked Payments Network Beyond Western Sanctions
Hyper-Realistic Reborn Dolls Draw Collectors Seeking Comfort and Craft
Gen Z Cuts Back on Dating as a Night Out Nears $200
Patients Turn to Artificial Intelligence for Therapy as Psychiatrists Warn of Privacy and Clinical Risks
Couples Embrace ‘Sleep Divorce’ to Protect Rest and Reduce Tension
Meta Ordered to Pay $567 Million and Change Facebook and Instagram Safeguards for Children
Up to only 10 Months in Prison for Swedish Officer’s Murderer Sparks Anger
Success: Nvidia Turned Gaming Chips Into the Engine of the AI Boom
Jorge Messi, Lionel Messi’s Father and Longtime Agent, Dies at 68
×